[b-greek] Re: Lk 24:17-28

From: Glenn Blank (glennblank@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 21:24:07 EDT

"Manolis Nikolaou" <aei_didaskomenos@hotmail.com> wrote

> . . . however the Greek syntax in this
>case seems to be a little problematic:
>
>SU MONOS PAROIKEIS IEROUSALHM KAI OUK EGNWS TA GENOMENA EN AUTHi EN TAIS
>hHMERAIS TAUTAIS;
>
>If I was to translate the passage the way it is (without worrying about
>its meaning), I would say: "Are you the only resident of Jerusalem *and*
>(not "who") you haven't noticed what has happened these past few days?".
>That is to say "There is no way you haven't noticed what's going on here;
>you are not the only resident of Jerusalem!"
>
>Since this, apparently, doesn't make much sense, let me guess that a more
>normal structure would have been . . .

If PAROIKEIS means "stranger," this rendering makes perfect sense, and the
structure perfectly normal -- the implication being, "You don't know about
what has been happening?! Everyone else does! Is it because you are the
only visitor and everyone else are citizens of Jerusalem that they all know
and you don't? But that can't be -- surely, you are not the only visitor!"

Which is the same meaning as Manolis' suggested alternative would imply, but
with more sarcasm.

>SU MONOS EN IEROUSALHM OUK EGNWS TA GENOMENA EN AUTHi EN TAIS hHMERAIS
>TAUTAIS?

>That way, PAROIKEIS wouldn't have been necessary here and this little
>confusion would have been avoided.

But it is the presence of PAROIKEIS that adds the hint of sarcasm:

"Are you the only stranger in Jerusalem and [meaning that] you are [the only
one] not knowing the happenings in her these days.

This also makes sense of KAI as a KAI (in the sense of showing equivalence
or maybe emphasis, not addition, cf KAI in Luk 1.35;) rather than having to
render it as a relative pronoun.

George Somsel wrote

>I think you [Richard] are overemphasizing the "visitor" meaning of
PAROIKEIS. If
>you take a look at either BGAD or BDAG, you will note that they also state
>that it may be used without the connotation of being strange

Perhaps in its classical useage PAROIKEW can mean simply "to live nearby,"
"to live as a neighbor." But it the LXX and GNT "temporary residence" seems
to be an essential semantic component, for example, in Gen 17.8; 20.1;
21.34; 26.3; Ex 6.4; Lev 17.8; Heb 11.9 ; 1 Pet 1.17; 2.11, it is in the
context of a journey, "just passing through."

glenn blank
Pensacola FL