Subject: Re: INCITS-V1: NoteExampleConfusion-Durusau-3

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:08:08 -0700 (PDT)

On the subject of notes, by the way, it appears that the need for
editorial work goes beyond the need to more clearly distinguish
between notes and examples.  Consider this passage from Part 4
Section 5.1.2.1 and the note that follows:

   Within DrawingML, there is the notion of core drawing
   elements. These are elements that both are vital to and common
   across the DrawingML framework. These elements denote the most
   integral pieces of the DrawingML document structure and thus
   are among the most widely used.

   [Note: Measurement Units - Length units shall be expressed in
   device-independent physical units: English Metric units (EMUs),
   points, picas, and inches. Device-dependent units such as
   pixels shall not be used. end note]

Here the "shall be expressed" and "shall not be used" in the note
are clearly normative rather than descriptive -- one more
indication that (as SC34 chair Jim Mason has put it) "the
submitters obviously did not read -- and edit -- this submission
into a consistent whole."  The further I go with this, the more
I'm inclined to agree with him that "if it were coming through the
normal ISO process, I'd say it was in the state of a Working Draft
and not yet ready for registration as a Committee Draft and
assignment of a number."  Looks like SC34 has a real job of
editing ahead.

Jon