Subject: RE: INCITS-V1: Mandate on DIS 29500: was [Fwd: DIS 29500 - Information technology, Office Open XML File Formats]

From: "Mason, James David (MXM)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 11:02:24 -0400

Note that what INCITS says in Action #1 is not quite by the rules.

The JTC1 Procedures say:

	2.7.2 Votes submitted by national bodies shall be explicit:
positive, negative, or abstention.
	If a national body votes affirmatively, it shall not submit any
comments.
	If a national body finds a final draft International Standard
unacceptable, it shall vote
	negatively and state the technical reasons. It shall not cast an
affirmative vote that is
	conditional on the acceptance of modifications.

That is to say that there should not be technical comments with a "Yes"
vote. If there are technical comments, then the vote should be "No."
(It has always been a general practice for a SC to accept editorial
comments with a "Yes" vote, but these have been things like spelling and
grammar issues, requests for clarification of glossary items, and other
things that do not affect the normative substance of a standard. If
there are requests for normative changes, then the vote must be "No."
The rationale for such a rule is that the normative substance of a
standard is expected to be settled before it gets to DIS status. In the
present case, since we are working on a document that is already at DIS
status, if we find something that needs to be changed in the normative
substance, then we must act in a way that pushes JTC1 into a second
round of DIS ballots.)
 
Jim Mason

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Patrick Durusau
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2007 9:43 AM
To: Incits-V1
Subject: INCITS-V1: Mandate on DIS 29500: was [Fwd: DIS 29500 -
Information technology, Office Open XML File Formats]

Greetings!

The question was raised at the V1 face to face meeting about the exact
wording of the mandate given to V1 concerning DIS 29500.

I am forwarding the transmittal message along with the request from
INCITS.

Note that there are two action items for V1 as follows:

> ACTION #1 - Recommendation for INCITS
>
> The committee is to coordinate and develop the U.S. recommended
> position to INCITS EB for approval for submission to ISO/IEC JTC 1.
> The position must be submitted in a format consistent with the
> guidelines specified by the JTC 1 Directives, Annex H, 5th edition.
>
> The position options are: approve; approve with general, technical
> and/or editorial comments; disapprove for reasons which are to be
> explained in an attached paper (see Comments Template) with
> recommended wording which, if accepted, would change the U.S. vote to
> one of approval, or abstain.
>
> Any comments developed in support of the U.S. position should be
> presented in the enclosed ISO Comments Template document.
> <http://www.incits.org/xittf/ISO_CommentsTemplate.zip>
>
> IMPORTANT
>
> The committee should return the U.S. recommendation to the INCITS
> Secretariat for approval by a 30-day letter ballot no later than July
> 17, 2007, so that, if necessary, a 10-day reconsideration ballot may
> be conducted and the U.S. vote forwarded to ANSI by to the JTC 1
> closing date of September 2, 2007.
>
> ACTION #2 - Notification to INCITS
>
> The committee should notify the INCITS Secretariat if this standard is
> unsuitable for adoption as an American National Standard. A vote of
> majority approval accompanied by comments specifying the reasons for
> non-adoption is required. The recommendation for non-adoption should
> be sent simultaneously with the recommendation to INCITS EB. The
> INCITS Secretariat will adopt the ISO/IEC Standard unless notified,
> see INCITS Adoption Policy
> <http://www.incits.org/ref-docs/adoption_policy.htm>.
>
I hope everyone is having a great holiday!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
[email-masked]
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Acting Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps) Co-Editor, ISO/IEC
13250-1, 13250-5 (Topic Maps) Co-Editor, OpenDocument Format (OASIS,
ISO/IEC 26300)