AMJHERA, a Native State in Malwa, within an area of 581 square miles.
ASIRGARH is a fortress in the Nimar district of the Central Provinces, situate on a spur of the Satpura range. It stands at an elevation of 850 feet, and is a place of great strength. It was once taken by Akbar, and twice by the English, to whom it now belongs. It lies 313 miles from Bombay.
AURUNGABAD, a city in the Haidarabad State, which derives its name from the Emperor Aurangzeb, who built here a beautiful mausoleum over the remains of his favourite daughter. It lies 215 miles from Bombay, and 690 from Madras.
BALABET, a town in the Gwaliar State, 40 miles to the north-west of Sagar.
BANDAH, chief town of district of some name, now in the Allahabad division, 95 miles south-west of Allahabad, and 190 south-east from Agra.
BANPUR, a parganah in the Lalitpur district, Central Provinces, forming the seat of a chief who rebelled in 1857.
BELGAON, the chief town of the district of the same name in the Southern Maratha country, situate on the northern slopes of the Belhari watershed, 2500 feet above the sea. It is 318 miles from Bombay.
BELLARI, a watershed in Southern Maratha country.
BHOPAWAR, a ruinous town in the Gwaliar State; 61 miles south-west of Ujjen, and 330 south-west of Gwaliar.
BURHANPUR, an ancient and famous city in the Nimar district of the Central Provinces, was for a long period the capital of Khandesh, and the chief city of the Dakhan under the Mughul emperors. It lies on the north bank of the Tapti. It was founded by Nasir Khan, of Khandesh, and was called after the renowned Shekh Burhanu’din, of Daulatabad. It is famous for its quaint porcelain. It is two miles from the Lalbagh station of the Great India Peninsula Railway.
CHANDERI, a town and fortress in the Gwaliar State, described at page 104.
CHARKHARI, capital of State of same name in Central India, on the route from Gwaliar to Bandah, 41 miles south-west of the latter.
DEWAS, a State in the Central Indian Agency, with two chiefs, one called Baba Sahib, the other Dada Sahib. The territories of the former have an area of 1378 square miles; those of the latter, 6197 square miles; yet the Baba Sahib is the senior of the two.
DHAR, a State in the Central Indian Agency, with an area of 2500 square miles. Its capital is also called Dhar.
DHARWAR, capital of district of the same name in the Southern Maratha country, lies 351 miles from Bombay. Is a great cotton centre.
GORARIA, a village in the Gwaliar State, between Nimach and Mandesar.
HAIDARABAD, described in the text, page 80.
JABALPUR, capital of district and division of the same name in the North-West Provinces. The town is an important centre of trade. It lies 700 miles from Calcutta; 202 from Allahabad; 879 from Madras, and 674 from Bombay.
JALAUN, a town in the district of the same name in Jhansi territory. The district has an area of 1469 square miles, and comprises the towns, Kalpi, Kuneh, and Urai (the capital). The chief rivers in the district are the Jamnah, the Betwa, and the Pahuj.
JAMKHANDI, capital of State of same name in Southern Maratha country, 70 miles north-east of Belgaon; 68 east of Kolhapur, and 162 south-east of Puna. The chief maintains a force of 57 horse and 852 foot.
KIRWI, a town, formerly capital of a principality in Bundelkhand, 45 miles from Bandah.
KOLAPUR, capital of a native State of the same name between the Retnagiri and Belgaon districts, distant 128 miles south-east from Puna; 64 from Satarah, and 220 from Bombay.
KULADJI, capital of the district of the same name in the Southern Maratha country, to the north-east of Belgaon. It lies 314 miles from Bombay.
KUNCH, a town in the Jalaun district, 19 miles west of Urai, and 42 miles south-west of Kalpi.
KURUNDWAD is the capital of two States of the same name in the Southern Maratha country, ruled by two branches of the Patwardhan family.
LALITPUR, capital of a district in the Jhansi division, as it now is, of the North-West Provinces. The district borders on that of Sagar.
MALTHON, a town in the Sagar district, 40 miles north of Sagar.
MALWA, the name applied to the western portion of the Central Indian Agency. It is a tableland of uneven surface, thing from 1500 to 2000 feet above the level of the sea, bounded on the west by the Aravali range; on the south by the Vindhya chain; on the east by Bundelkhand, and on the north-cast by the valley of the Ganges. It comprises the States of Gwaliar, Briar, and Dhar.
MALWA (WESTERN) is the westernmost tract of Malwa, and constitutes a subordinate agency of the Central Indian Agency. It comprises the States Jaura, Ratlam, Solana, and Sitamau.
MANDESAR, a town in Sindhia’s dominions, on a tributary of the Chambal, 80 miles from Ujjen, 120 from Indur, and 328 from Bombay.
MEHIDPUR, a town in the Indur State, on the right bank of the Sipra, north of Ujjen, 432 miles from Bombay. Since 1817, when Sir J. Hislop defeated Mulhar Rao Holkar on the banks of the Sipra, it has been a cantonment for British troops.
MIRAJ, capital of State of same name in Southern Maratha country. The chief is a first-class Sirdar, with a military force of 507 men.
MUDHAL, capital of State of same name in Southern Maratha country, south of the Jamkhandi State. The chief maintains a military force of 700 men.
NAGOD, town in the Uchahara district, Central Indian Agency, on the direct route by Rewah from Sagar to Allahabad; is 48 miles from the first; 43 from the second, 180 from the third, and 110 from Jabalpur.
NARGUND, town in the Dharwar district, 32 miles north-east of Dharwar. The chief lost his possessions in consequence of his conduct in 1857, related in this volume.
NARSINHPUR, a district in the Narbada division of the Central Provinces, with an area of 1916 square miles. Its capital, also called Narsinhpur, is on the River Singri, a tributary of the Narbada. It lies 60 miles to the west of Sagar.
PUCH, a village in the Jhansi district, on the road from Kalpi to Gunah, 55 miles south-west of the former, and 150 north-cast of the latter.
PUNA, the ancient Maratha capital, is situate near the confluence of the Muta and Mula, in a plain 2000 feet above the sea. It is 90 miles from Bombay. Adjoining it is the artillery cantonment, Kirki, where Colonel Burr, in 1817, defeated the Peshwa’s army.
RAHATGARH, a fortified town in a tract of the same name in the Saar district, 25 miles to the west of the town of Sagar.
RAIPUR, capital of the district of the same name in the Central Provinces, 177 miles to the east of Nagpur, by the road from that place to Calcutta.
REWAH, native State in Bundelkhand, having a capital of the same name. It is bounded to the north by the Bandah, Allahabad, and Mirzapur districts; to the east by part of the Mirzapur district and the territories of Chutia Nagpur; on the south by the Chhatisgarh, Jabalpur, and Mandha districts; on the west by Maihir; Nagod, and the Kothi States. It has an area of 13,000 square miles. The position of the town is described in the text.
SAGAR, capital of the district of the same name, situated on an elevated position, 1940 feet above the sea, on the north-west borders of a fine lake nearly a mile broad, whence it derives its name (Sagar, Anglicé, the Sea). It lies 90 miles north-west of Jabalpur; 185 miles north of Nagpur; 313 miles south-west of Allahabad; 224 miles north-east of Indur, and 602 from Bombay.
SANGLI, capital of the State of the same name in Southern Maratha country, the chief of which is a Sirdar of the first class, with a military force of 822 men. It is situate on the River Krishna, to the north-east of Kolhapur.
SATARAH, capital of the district of the same name, lies 56 miles south of Puna, at the junction of the Krishna and the Yena. It is 163 miles from Bombay.
SAVANUR, capital of State of same name in the Dharwar district; lies 39 miles south by east of Dharwar. The Nawab is of Afghan descent.
SHAHGARH, town in Sagar district, Central Provinces, 40 miles north-east of the town of Sagar.
SIHOR, a town in the Bhopal State, Central India; situate on the right bank of the Saven, on the road from Sagar to Asirgarh, 132 miles south-west from the former, and 152 north-east from the latter; 22 miles from Bhopal. and 470 from Bombay.
TAL-BAHAT, chief town of parganah of same name in Lalitpur district, Central Provinces, stands on a hill, 26 miles north of the town of Lalitpur.
TEHRI, capital of the Tehri or Urchah estate, to the east of Lalitpur. It is 72 miles north-west of Sagar. The Rajah is looked upon as the head of the Bundelas.
UJJEN, a very important town – more so formerly than now – on the Sipra, in the Gwaliar State. The modern town is six miles in circumference, and surrounded by groves and gardens. The old town lies about a mile to the north of the new town. It is 1698 feet above the sea. It is 40 miles from Indur.
URCHAH, ancient capital of State of the same name, also called Tehri, in Bundelkhand. The State is bounded on the west by the Jhansi and Lalitpur districts; on the south by the Lalitpur district and Bijawar; on the east by Bijawar, Charkhari, and Garauli. The town is on the Betwa.
This collection transcribed by Chris Gage