-Global Public Forum-

Forum Links: Member Links: Contact:
 SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Contact FormContact Form
 FAQFAQ  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
 UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
 MemberlistMemberlist    
Exploring Chinese History Forum Index Non- Members:
 RegisterRegister 

This forum was created on 21 July 2007 05:38:23 GMT

code help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exploring Chinese History Forum Index -> Editors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaelc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 00:52:02 UTC    Post subject: code help? Reply with quote

Hello...

I'm working on the "The Art of Calligraphy :: Art in Motion" page of the AIC website. In trying to make the page uniform, the video files have been converted to .wmv format, which is the standard for the website (if this isn't correct, please let me know), and I've come into a need for a WMP object which is embedded into the page. The problem is that it requires a source file. It would be more productive to have a list of links pointing to the source file that, when clicked, will play in the embedded WMP. This would save on having to produce a WMP instance for every video file, and that would have to be taken into consideration when expanding the page with more videos.

Qian Brad or Jessica... can you help with this? I know you have programming experience. I would welcome any other input from anyone else on the EB as well.

Thanks!

Mike
donnarm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 00:55:33 UTC    Post subject: Re: code help? Reply with quote

michaelc wrote:
Hello...

I'm working on the "The Art of Calligraphy :: Art in Motion" page of the AIC website. In trying to make the page uniform, the video files have been converted to .wmv format, which is the standard for the website (if this isn't correct, please let me know), and I've come into a need for a WMP object which is embedded into the page. The problem is that it requires a source file. It would be more productive to have a list of links pointing to the source file that, when clicked, will play in the embedded WMP. This would save on having to produce a WMP instance for every video file, and that would have to be taken into consideration when expanding the page with more videos.

Qian Brad or Jessica... can you help with this? I know you have programming experience. I would welcome any other input from anyone else on the EB as well.

Thanks!

Mike

Hey Mike. I've been looking for something like this for a while too for the Entertainment and Food & Drink areas on CHC. Let me know if you find anything!

PS- .wmv *is* the correct format for videos on the websites!
newlinb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 01:06:27 UTC    Post subject: Re: code help? Reply with quote

michaelc wrote:
Hello...

Thanks!

Mike

Mike,

I found a code that might be helpful. It is used on the Bejing Olympics Special Report homepage (for the video announcement of the choice of Beijing)- though it hasn't been updated online yet. Anyway the code comes from the inet... Should I post the code here or email it to you? D- let me know if you want this code too.

On a seperate note- this new board is fast- I got both of your posts within seconds of eachother. I wonder if you both actually posted several hours apart and the board updates in a cycle, or were you two just that close in posting?

Best!
Bev
michaelc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 01:17:55 UTC    Post subject: code solution Reply with quote

Bev,

Thanks for the quick response. This board is fast. I got Doug's response before I even finished reading my original post! Then I got yours while I was reading his!!

Regarding the code- I'm not sure if we've gone over the protocols for this sort of thing- posting code on the forum, since it's public now. Can someone ask Rich? I'm not in good standing with his assisstant just lately. It would make quick work of this page if you could just send it to me via email, but I don't want to put anyone outside the 'knowledge circle' by having the only access to it if it can be posted on here.

Doug also needs it for his spots on CHC. He has about 17 hours of video to put up in his parts- and they're broken into about 100 files, so he would def. benefit from having this code.

I'll keep a close eye on this subject on the forum... if Rich says it's OK to put it up, please do so.

Another thought about this... should the code be credited to the person who originally wrote it?
weichenxi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 01:29:23 UTC    Post subject: code type protocols Reply with quote

Greetings all!!

I'm very impressed over the speed of this new board as well. As for the proper protocol for posting code- the topic was never covered in our meeting about this board going public- that is my fault. I never considered the matter. Our next meeting isn't for another two months. Perhaps we should have the discussion here? I'll leave the question open for right now. In the meantime, Beverly, can you email the code to Doug, Mike and myself? Please include the source information in your email.

Mike, if you do use Beverly's code on the page, be sure to credit the source in both the Source Index and on the page itself. If there are other cases where it might be used, such as in the News in Pictures portion, it will not have to be copied into the Source Index again. Doug, your citation should be in both places as well if you use the code in your parts on CHC. When citing, please remember to use the src class.

Editors- please post a reply to this topic concerning the matter of posting code in the public forums. We should discuss the positive and the negative as usual. Mike, Doug and Beverly- this includes you- I want to hear from everyone on this before I make a decision!

This might be a good way to have our quarterly meetings instead of the stuffy conference room? (Just kidding!)

Mike- my assistant's job is to keep everyone on his 'bad side'. That's just his way of keeping the editors at bay... it works most of the time!! There is nothing in the charter that says you can't send an email direct to me Wink (oooo the first emoticon!!).

Good work using the board. Keep it up!!

-Rich
michaelc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 01:47:24 UTC    Post subject: Code Protocol Reply with quote

It is my opinion that the code should be posted in this public forum for purposes of sharing knowlege. It might be helpful to have a seperate category for just code, along with the sources. Qian especially has been making many adjustments to the coding for the generated page project. Much of her work can only be seen when one looks at the final product in view code. However, I think it beneficial to have the code available for anyone who might be interested in using portions of her non-generated page project code. She has been trying to implement the RSS feature to many of her pages. Given the general concensus on conformity throughout the websites, her code could be the foundation for all RSS features across the entire site. There is also the matter of using the 'Discuss This Topic' link on almost all of the pages. Since it will be PHP based code- the functions and variables should be uniform and thus posted on the forum for every editor to see and use.

My vote is yes contingent on posting the code in a private forum only accessible by the editors.

Michael C. Cherron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exploring Chinese History Forum Index -> Editors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: