I would like it if that “Purchased” playlist they give you in iTunes actually listed all the stuff I purchased in iTunes. That would be nice. Then I could just select that list to backup all those purchases on a DVD. Unfortunately it doesn’t do that for me as I keep messing around with it, and changing computers, and *cough*. Whatever. It’s Apple’s fault. Right.
It would be extra nice if Apple added an obvious choice to pick iTunes purchased music when you’re making a smart playlist. But it doesn’t. Oh well, after searching in vain for a solution on Google and messing around with iTunes for a bit I finally just opened up the iTunes library XML file in BBEdit and looked for something in the protected files that would identify it to the smart playlists. Lo and behold there was.
To list all your iTunes purchased songs, do this:
- Select File » New Smart Playlist…. (or use Command+Option+N)
- Select Kind from the first drop down box.
- Select Contains from the second drop down box.
- And type Protected AAC audio file in the text field.
- Hit OK and you should have a new playlist with all the iTunes purchased songs that are in your library.
Now I’m sure someone has figured this out before I have, but I couldn’t find it so I thought I’d share.
Edit: Corrected some grammar mistakes.