[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Is Organic Food Better?

>Is Organically Grown Food Better for You?  I asked that question decades
>ago, and every year students in my soils and sustainable agriculture classes
>ask it anew.  I have made several attempts to get at the truth of the matter
>in the scientific literature. I have served on graduate committees for
>students researching aspect of  the issue.  My conclusion has always been
>the same: Foods grown with organic production methods do not differ
>significantly from conventionally grown foods (neither better or worse) with
>regard to nutritional value. They do not even differ with regard taste (when
>studies are done properly to avoid bias).  Recently a double-blind test
>panel in Israel preferred the taste of organic in some cases and
>conventional in others...again no consistent pattern.

I've seen several figures which show that organic vegetables have a higher
mineral content because they grow more slowly, and they have lower
nitrates.

The taste test could be affected by people being accustomed to non-organics.

Some modern NPK forced fruits are tasteless.

Best wishes

Vaughan Jones
(ex dairy & beef farmer & consultant)
Hamilton