Subject: Advice on Potatoes

From: [email-masked] (Marivi Bermejo Acuna)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 1994 17:30:17 GMT

I am really retarded at peeling potatoes...  What would happen if I just 
left the skin on for most of the dishes...  Would it alter the flavor that 
much?  Is it just bad practice to do so?

Are there any dishes out there specifically for unpeeled potatoes?

Ivi

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 1994 21:06:38 GMT

>much?  Is it just bad practice to do so?
I rarely peel potatoes, even for mashed.  Some of the new "Calif Cuisine"
restaurants proudly proclaim *grlic mashed potatoes* and they are
usually red ones, peels intact.  Just remove any bad or green spots.
Jan

---

From: [email-masked] (Tanya Heikkinen)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 1994 21:39:36 GMT

>Are there any dishes out there specifically for unpeeled potatoes?

Unless the potatoes are to be mashed or otherwise mangled, I usually just 
leave the skins on.  Be sure to use fresh potatoes, and scrub the skins 
well.  You may also want to see if you can get organic potatoes, to lessen 
the chance of ingesting something awful.

I make french fries, potato soup (in fact, all soups with potatoes), and 
baked potatoes :-)  this way.  The peels become soft enough so that you
don't notice them as far as the texture goes, and the taste is pleasant.

Even if you're making mashed potatoes, you can still leave the skins on.  
Just remove the skins after boiling (it's much easier to just slip the skins 
off), or leave 'em in and use the food processor to grind them up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tanya Heikkinen
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 05:24:37 GMT

> much?  Is it just bad practice to do so?

I never peel my potatoes, I like the peels in everything including mashed 
potatoes.  It's a matter of personal taste and point of view, whether it 
is bad practice to peel or not to peel!  I don't think it really alters 
the flavor much to leave the peels in, sometimes it changes the texture 
somewhat, but never in a bad way.  Try it out!

-- 
        Sandra Chaffin    ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Robbie Felix)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 05:24:53 GMT

>Are there any dishes out there specifically for unpeeled potatoes?

I never peel potatoes, I do use a hardcore pot scrubber to wash them (
which generally takes off most of the peels), it works very well ...

The peels have some of the nutritional content and they taste fine, so
there is no real reason to remove them...

rf

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 1994 14:49:44 GMT

> Are there any dishes out there specifically for unpeeled potatoes?
I personally do no like the taste of the skins in some dishes.  I would 
recommend that you get a high quality peeler.  Someone gave us one for a
wedding gift from Willams Sonoma and I promptly threw out the one I got from
Wal-mart.  I find that peeling is very quick and I no longer nick my self.

--Lea Talley

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Tyson)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994 14:32:03 GMT

> Are there any dishes out there specifically for unpeeled potatoes?
My boyfriend used to be quite fanatical about the skins on potatoes for
any recipe at all.  At first I argued about it but after a while I got
very used to potatoes cooked in their skins.  Certainly it is more 
nutritious: more fibre and possibly more vitamins.  We eat staampot a
lot (potatoes, carrots, fried onions "staamped" or rough mashed) and
we even leave the skins on for this.  Potatoe salads without the skins
are a crime.  Boulanger is much better with the skins on though
opinions differ concerning dauphinoise or savoyarde ( he says yes I say
no).

Leave the skins on!  You will love the result once you are past the
shock of mashed potatoe with added fibre!

Jim