Subject: Spaghetti sauce request

From: [email-masked] (Mark Andrew Stephan)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 1994 17:56:45 GMT

I would appreciate everybody's favorite spaghetti sauce recipes.
(from scratch)
since i'm a student, i find that i've been eating a lot of spaghetti
and would like a different flavor (grin)

-- 
Flesh is just meat...for the beast  * Mark Stephan
  -NightBreed			    * [email-masked]
you called us, we came 		    * Computer Engineering
  -Hellraiser                       * The University of Michigan Solar Car Team

---

From: [email-masked] (Tom Swiss)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 1994 19:46:29 GMT

>and would like a different flavor (grin)

     This is simple enough that even I can do it, cheaper than store-bought
sauces, and tastes pretty damn good. It's a lot thicker than the stuff you
get at the store - add more wine or juice if, for some reason, you prefer
your sauce thinner.

     Take:

     1 can (20 oz.) of crushed tomatoes
     1 can (4 oz) of tomato paste
     red wine or fruit juice (I used apple juice last time I made this, 
          and it was fine. Grape juice is good too.), about one
          tomato-paste can full
     spices - oregano, basil, black pepper are essential. Parsely is nice.
          Try a little allspice. 

     chopped onion
     chopped green or red bell pepper
     chopped garlic!

     Put in pot. Cook over low flame for as long as it takes to fill a
different pot with water, bring said water to a boil, and cook a pound of
dry pasta - i.e., about 30 minutes. Stir reasonably often. Keep covered
unless you like hot tomato sauce splattering out.

     Substitute different veggies. Sauteeing onion and garlic in olive oil
and adding them at the end is nice, but I try to avoid anything that
requires more than two burners. B-> Try adding a little nutritional yeast.

===============================================================================
Tom Swiss/[email-masked]   |  "Born to die."   |   Keep your laws off my brain!
     "What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?" - Nick Lowe 
             Now at [email-masked]; same opinions, new address.
       "Under any conditions, anywhere, whatever you are doing, there
        is some ordinance under which you can be booked."
        -- Robert D. Sprecht (Rand Corp)

---

From: [email-masked] (Judy Karpen)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 03:37:48 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> and would like a different flavor (grin)

An easy alternative to the same old tomato-based stuff is a combination of
garlic and greens (you can add white or red beans to this at the end, if
you want a more substantial dish). The instructions are informal because
it's too easy to bother with measuring.....

Proportions:
For each bunch of greens (my favorite is broccoli raab, but you can also
use spinach or kale or collards), use 2-4 cloves of garlic, hot pepper
flakes to taste, broth or water, and as much GOOD olive oil as you want (if
you're fat-phobic, use a bit of oil for taste and use broth or water for
braising).  I use a Tbs or two of olive oil... 

Procedure:
Wash and roughly chop greens; remove tough part of stems (esp for kale or
collards) & put in compost :^>.  Drain most water off greens, but leave
some clinging. Heat oil with med or med-high heat in a large high-sided pan
(Dutch oven is ideal size) and fry garlic until browning (NOT blackened).
Add pepper flakes, stir several seconds, and add greens. Note that the
greens will shrink alot in volume as they cook, so you might want to add
them a handful at a time while stirring until wilted (instead of all at
once, which is a mess to stir etc). After greens have cooked down a bit (a
few minutes, stirring fairly frequently), add enough broth or water to
braise the greens and make some liquid for the pasta sauce. You can also
add a bit of sherry or dry wine (a Tbs or two) or even balsamic vinegar
(not so much) for taste. Lower heat and continue to cook the greens mix
(uncovered)  until sufficiently done (TASTE THEM, it's the best way to
tell. Honest.)  Add salt, if desired, and serve over hot pasta of your
choice.  

The greens "sauce" can be refrigerated for a week or so, and can also be
eaten alone (sans pasta).

Judy Karpen                        "pushing back the frontiers of
science...."
[email-masked]          Code 7675K, NRL, Washington DC
20375-5352

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 03:37:50 GMT

>and would like a different flavor (grin)

Here are a couple:

Start with a basic marinara, add a couple of cups of *cooked* lentils.
And/or an eggplant, cubed, simmer in sauce till done.  I also like to add
a dash of red kpepper flakes.

One more -
sautee  1/2 pound of sliced mushrooms with a sliced onion,
several cloves garlic, then add a bunch of cleaned spinach (or
a package of frozen), saute toss with cooked pasta.

Jan

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Nass)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 03:45:12 GMT

> and would like a different flavor (grin)

  I have 2 that I use quite often I don't have the recipes so I will
give them to
you from memory.

1.)

Large can stewed tomatoes(or anykind of tomatoes including fresh)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper
1 teaspoon basil
6 cloves garlic
olive oil

  Sautee minced garlic in olive oil until light golden brown, don't brown or
it will turn bitter. Add tomatoes and seasonings and simmer a few minutes.

2.) 

olive oil
zucchini
black pepper
garlic
basil

   Sautee zucchini in olive oil for about 4 minutes, add minced garlic,
basil and pepper.
sautee an additional minute. Add spaghetti and mix toughether for a
minute or so and serve.

---

From: [email-masked] (MANGI)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 1994 15:22:16 GMT

>and would like a different flavor (grin)
The key to a good spaghetti sauce is to let it cook for a good long time, 
like at least half a day. Here is my recepie based on my grandmother's 
from Sicily.

Use big cans of pealed Italian tomatoes (Sclafani is the best).
For each big can, use a regular can of paste.

First - in your big non reactive sauce pot, pour in a generous amount of 
virgin olive oil --> yes it makes a difference!
Sautee a couple of yellow onions, diced small.
While they cook, throw in a bunch of pressed fresh garlic.
Add your tomatoes, with half as much cold water ->fill half the cans with
water to get all the stuff out. The water is important, it cooks the 
tomatoes.
Get to a slow simmer, and add about a 1/3 cup of red italian wine for 
each big can of pealed tomatoes.

Add the seasonings as you go, tasting a little while after each addition.
   Oregano
   Crushed red pepper
   A few bay leaves ->in with the wine
   basil
   salt

Let it simmer slowly for as long as you can.

Rick.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 1994 19:19:16 GMT

>and would like a different flavor (grin)

Mark,

My favorite summer time pasta:
take a couple of nice ripe tomatoes (that have never been in
a refrigerator...best of all is if they are right out of a garden)
and dice them fine.  Add some fresh basil chopped fine (if all 
you can find is dried it will work but it just isn't the same) and
drizzle a little olive oil on top.  Let this sit while you boil 
your pasta and drain the water off it, then just stir the tomato
mixture into the pasta and put some grated parmezan on top.
There is enough heat in the pasta to warm the sauce and it is
yummy and simple.  enjoy,

Cheryl Feight
Vermillion, SD
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Lynda St.James)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 1994 18:26:15 GMT

> and would like a different flavor (grin)

here's a good one:  

take 6-8 chopped plum tomatoes, sautee in 2 tbps of xtra virgin olive oil
with copped onion and 2-3 cloves of  pressed garlic.  pour in about 1/4C of
dry white wine. sautee until wine begins to thicken. to this add 2 tbsp of
kapers, 1/2C chopped black olives, and 1/2 can of anchovies (smashed to
paste).  salt and pepper (fresh ground) to taste. put it on vermicelli,
serve with a tossed salad, and enjoy!

it's called "salsa putanesca" or whore's sauce - really!  ;->

st.j
*****
"don't push the river, it flows by itself"