Subject: Q: buckwheat

From: [email-masked] (Peyton Bland)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 15:53:56 GMT

I bought some buckwheat (roasted groats) some time ago and made a pilaf.  I
was put-off by buckwheat's distinctive aftertaste. (I won't try to describe
it because I think you know what I mean if you have ever had any!)  Any
ideas on recipes that play-down this aftertaste?  I was pleasantly
surprised by the crunchy texture of the roasted groats and can imagine
eating them "as is" as a kind of munchie if it weren't for this funny
taste.

Thanks, Peyton

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Peyton Bland                   Digital Image Processing Lab
Dept. of Radiology                   University of Michigan
-----------------------------------------------------------
"We all have better moments than anybody ever knows, and so
do all the others....  We are a great mystery.  Each one of
us is a secret, and on that basis we ought to treat each
other with the deepest respect."
                                        -- Garrison Keillor
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

---

From: [email-masked] (Alex Liberchuk)
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 1994 04:14:47 GMT

Peyton Bland ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I bought some buckwheat (roasted groats) some time ago and made a pilaf.  I
: was put-off by buckwheat's distinctive aftertaste. (I won't try to describe
: it because I think you know what I mean if you have ever had any!)  Any
: ideas on recipes that play-down this aftertaste?  I was pleasantly
: surprised by the crunchy texture of the roasted groats and can imagine
: eating them "as is" as a kind of munchie if it weren't for this funny
: taste.

We came from the Urkaine, where buckwheat was a common staple, (when you
could get it :-) ).  We don't think buckwheat should be used in pilaf. 
Rather, buckwheat should be boiled in water with little salt (ratio: cup
of buckwheat/2 cups of water/ 1/2 t.sp salt.   Eat it with butter, milk,
sour cream, sprinkled with farmer/feta cheese or beef stew as a side dish.

This comes from my mother, who is discovering Internet.

Alex Liberchuk.

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard L Barnaby)
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 1994 21:55:50 GMT

>eating them "as is" as a kind of munchie if it weren't for this funny

Peyton,
Buckwheat groats are *Delicious*.  The aftertaste you mention is
part of the characteristic taste of buckwheat, and by itself is
sort of an acquired taste, however most people are put off from
acquiring the taste because of improper cooking technique.  
First, buy unroasted groats.  Then you wont have a common problem of
over-roasting.  Because groats are so contracted (yang) they require a
lot of water to attain a light fluffy characteristic.  Here's some tips:
Measure 4 parts water to one part unroasted groats.
Boil the water in a pressure cooker with the top off.
In a heavy skillet on medium-high heat, roast the groats, without
oil, water or anything else (dry roast) until they turn slightly brown
and exude a nutty aroma (about 5-10 minutes).  KEEP STIRRING with a flat
bladed wooden spoon to be sure the groats dont burn (one source of bad
buckwheat!).
When you have superheated the groats and the water is boiling vigorously, 
quickly pour the hot groats into the boiling water.  *BE CAREFUL*
The water will sort of foam up, splatter, and in a word, explode.
You *Want* this to happen.  If the water is not biling, if the groats 
are not hot, this reaction will not occur.  This process is sort of like
making popcorn, a dense shell is "popped" and a hard kernal is trans-
formed into something very light and fluffy.  The difference between
this sort of buckwheat and how most turns out, is like night and day.
Don't be too afraid of the "splash" but do be cautious not to burn yourself
The foam dies down pretty quickly.  
Put the top on the pressure cooker, and bring up to pressure.  Cook at 
pressure about 5 minutes, then leave the top on, and shut off the heat
allowing it to cook an additional 20 minutes while it gradually reduces
the pressure on its own.  Open, it should be slightly wet.  Stir gently to 
mix.  The water will continue to be absorbed almost visibly.  If too
wet, strain in a strainer for 30 seconds then return to serving bowl.
Serve over flat noodles (fettucinni etc) with cashew gravy.
This Kasha Varnishka with Cashew gravy is a weekly special in our house.
Good Luck.