Subject: VEGAN: Chili and Spanish Rice

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Narad)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 10:06:26 GMT

This is a first experiment with a new recipe.  I looked at a lot of
existing recipes for ideas with spicing, but added a few twists of
my own. According to the (surviving) guests, it wasn't bad at all.
Even turns out to be low fat!

        Fourby Chili
        (Black Beans, Beer, and Broccoli)
        -------------------------------

        2 cups dried black beans
        2 bottles stout (Guiness Extra or Watney's Cream), or San Miguel
Dark beer.
        2 cans diced tomatoes (or fresh equivalent)
        2 6-ounce cans tomato paste
        2 long (mild) chili peppers, seeded and diced*
        3 medium jalapeno chili peppers, seeded and diced*
        3 serrano chili peppers, seeded and diced*
        5 cloves garlic, minced
        1 onion, chopped
        1 cup whole kernel corn (frozen or fresh)
        2 tbs. white vinegar
        2 tbs. chili powder
        1 tsp. cumin
        1 tbs. oregano
        1/2 tsp. black pepper
        1 tsp. crushed red peppers*
        1/4 cup peanut butter (no, really!)
        1 tsp. salt
        1 tbs. olive oil
        2 heads broccoli

* or more, to taste
Rinse the black beans, pick out any pebbles; then cover with water and
let soak overnight.  Then pour off the soaking water, add 1 bottle of
stout, and add fresh water to cover the beans plus about 1".  Bring to
a boil, then reduce to a simmer.  Cover partway (it will boil over if
fully covered) and let cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Add water if neccessary.

Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.  Add the garlic, onions, and
all chili peppers.  Saute a few minutes until soft, then add to the
beans.  Add the vinegar and spices and the diced tomatoes; simmer for
another half hour, stirring.  As the liquid from the tomatoes boils
off, start adding stout from the second bottle.  About half of this
bottle is reserved for the cook.

Add the corn and the peanut butter, simmer for another hour or so,
keeping it moist enough (with stout and/or water) so that it doesn't
crust over.  Stir occassionally.

Best if you let it sit overnight, and reheat it for dinner the next day.

To serve: cut the florets off of the broccoli, and steam until done
(but crisp).  I ususally do this in the microwave.  Serve the chili
with a sprinkle of chopped onions and grated cheddar cheese on top (for
vegan, omit cheese or use tofu cheese).  The broccoli can either be
stirred in at the last minute, pressed on top of the chili for nice
presentation, or placed along side it.  Serve with spanish rice (follows)
and with warmed corn tortillas!.

==================================================

        Spanish Rice
        ----------

        2 cups long grain white rice
        4 cups veg. stock -OR-
        4 cups water and 2 veg. bullion cubes
        1 6-ounce can tomato paste
        3 cloves garlic, minced
        2 onions, chopped
        2 stalks celery, chopped
        1 bell pepper, seeded, stemmed, and chopped
(that's a capsicum for you folks on the other side of the lake)
        2 tsp paprika
        3 tbs. margarine
        1 tsp salt
        1/2 tsp. basil
        1/2 tsp. oregano
        1/2 tsp. chili powder

In a large pot, melt margarine over medium heat.  Add onions, garlic, and
rice.  Stir for about 5 minutes.  Add stock, celery, green pepper,
tomato paste, and spices.  Stir, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and
let cook for 45 minutes to one hour.  Stir occasionally, and add some
water if needed.  Ready when rice is tender.

---------------------------------------------
Chuck Narad -- diver/adventurer/engineer