Subject: Hot Potato

From: BOB CLEMENTS <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 04:37:42 GMT

Does anyone have some recipes for fixing potatoes in scalloped(sp?) 
fashion but without fat? Or cheese?

I presently put either sweet potatoes or regular potatoes in microwave 
and then slice and eat them with plastic butter and pepper.  I would 
like a change tho.  Any help would be appreciated.

	Be Well . . .

---

From: [email-masked] (Thomas P Collins)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 14:05:16 GMT

>fashion but without fat? Or cheese?

Low-fat Scalloped Potatoes

4 medium potatoes
1 1/2 cups skim milk or soy milk
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (optional)

Peel and slice potatoes thinly.  In a saucepan, combine
milk, flour, salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper and cook
over medium heat until sauce thickens.  Add onions to sauce.

Layer casserole dish with potato slices.  Spoon half of sauce
over slices and repeat with remaining potatoes and sauce.
Cover and bake in oven preheated at 350 degrees for 65
minutes.  Optional: remove from oven and sprinkle with low-fat
cheddar cheese.

Tom Collins

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephanie da Silva)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 15:53:46 GMT

>fashion but without fat? Or cheese?

Slice some potatos thin and some onions thin.  Toss with a little flour
seasoned with black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.  Put in a casserole
dish and pour over skim milk or evaporated (diluted) skim milk or non-fat 
dry milk (reconstituted).  Microwave until tender.

---

From: [email-masked] (Thomas P Collins)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 14:05:16 GMT

4 medium potatoes

Tom Collins

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephanie da Silva)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 15:53:46 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Sharen A. Rund)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 1994 05:17:20 GMT

BOB CLEMENTS ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Does anyone have some recipes for fixing potatoes in scalloped(sp?) 
: fashion but without fat? Or cheese?

: I presently put either sweet potatoes or regular potatoes in microwave 
: and then slice and eat them with plastic butter and pepper.  I would 
: like a change tho.  Any help would be appreciated.

: 	Be Well . . .

shilling (I believe, glass jar w/brown lid) makes a cheddar cheese
  topping for popcorn 

molly mcbutter makes a cheese flavored sprinkle - I think butter buds
does too - I guess I'd mix these with a bit of skim/non fat milk & add
to the potato slices before microwaving - it's worth a try

I supposed you could also use some yogurt instead of the milk

my neice loves to add veggies & molly mcbutter to a baked potato, pop
it back in the microwave to 'set', then enjoy

--
____________    __      ____________  "They that can give up essential
\_____     /   /_ \     \     _____/  liberty to obtain a little
 \_____    \____/  \____/    _____/  temporary safety deserve
  \_____                    _____/  neither liberty nor safety."
     \___________  ___________/          --Benjamin Franklin
               /    \           ALL disclaimers apply ....
               ~~~~~~

---

From: [email-masked] (Christine Neidecker)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 1994 17:30:06 GMT

>: like a change tho.  Any help would be appreciated.

You could try plastic butter (?) and Old Bay seasoning on a 
white potato.  Or a little orange juice & cinnamon on the baked sweet
(moosh it around inside the jacket). 

One time I had a craving for peanut butter on a baked white potato.  It
was OK -- satisfied the craving, and was different.  It wasn't my
favorite, but it's something to try. 

Chris

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 1994 14:54:53 GMT

>>: like a change tho.  Any help would be appreciated.
I like nonfat yogurt, diced onions and bell peppers, spike (a vegetable
seasoning salt substitute, sort of) and fresh ground pepper.  

I also like leftover lentil stew on top of baked potatoes if I have any 
around.

-- 
        Sandra Chaffin    ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Elizabeth Schwartz)
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 1994 00:57:17 GMT

Things to eat on a potato:

Fried onions and peppers and mushrooms (fry in water w spice for low-fat)
spicy Chili (my favorite! I get canned fat-free or make my own)
Broccoli and/or cauliflower and/or asparagus and/or spinach,
  with/without butter or cheese. Just salt or soy sauce or dressing for l.f.
salsa, mashed in (I *love* this, my SO thinks it's just ok)
Hummos (my SO *loves* this, I think it's just ok)
Broiled basil tomatoes. 
Curry anything, or anything with curry powder or sauce.

Anything that you would put over rice or spaghetti!
Anything stuffing recipe that uses mushrooms or zuchinni.

Bottled spicy peanut sauce, barbecue sauce, ketchup, mustard sauce,
   pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, pesto italian dressing.... you name it!

Potatoes are friendly to almost anything! I like getting away from 
traditional topping-base combinations. Potatoes take hot spices very well.

--
System Administrator                  Internet: [email-masked]
MACS Dept, UMass/Boston               Phone   : 617-287-6448
100 Morrissey Blvd                    Staccato signals
Boston, MA 02125-3393                      of constant information....