Subject: LACTO: Flan

From: [email-masked] (Susan L. Warshauer)
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 1994 23:27:58 GMT

HI.  I just had a dinner party last night and this went over really well.  You
can make it almost fat-free (although it has lots of milk and sugar) and it's 
super easy.

Flan
Heat the oven to 400 degrees with a baking pan 1/2 filled with water.

Put around 3/4 to 1 cup of sugar in the bottom of a Pyrex or other type of
glass bread pan.  Heat the sugar carefully while consistantly stirring. When it
becomes a liquid but has not turned brown take off the burner. 

In another bowl mix one can of evaporated or condensed milk (you can use the
lite milk if you wish) with one can of regular milk (substitute skim if you
want) and one half a cup of sugar.  Then add three eggs (five egg whites or egg
substitutes) and your choice of spices.  I prefeer vanilla but you could use
anything.  Mix well.

Pour the milk mixture in the bread pan with the sugar.  DO NOT MIX!

Put the bread pan in the pan of water.  

Let cook until the top turns golden brown.  Cool completely and cut around the
edge of the pan.  Carefully turn the flan over on a plate and enjoy.  
People are usually pretty impressed even though it's easy.
Review of ingredients
3 eggs or 5 egg whiter
1 can condensed or evaporated milk (can be lite)
1 can regular or skim milk
1-2 cups sugar
Vanilla or other spices

Enjoy :-)
Susan