Subject: RE: REQUEST: Vegetarian Sandwiches

From: [email-masked] (Ranganathan Srikanth)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 1994 20:19:56 GMT

Dhania Chutney sandwitch (Cilantro or Coriander chutney)

! large bunch of cilantro cleaned and chopped small

4 Green chillis (more/less as per your taste)

Fry the chilli and coriander in two table spoons
of oil for about three minutes and grind the stuff
into fine paste (use very littel water to grind

Toast bread and load the paste in between before
you go crunch on it.

Refrigerate  and use it over the week

(add salt--sorry forgot that)

srikanth

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 1994 17:46:45 GMT

Make thick hummous (recipe follows). Make sandwich using whole
wheat bread and seasonal veg. Alternatively, use WW pita.

Seasonal veg:
- all seasons: pickled olives, capers, onions, sundried tomatoes
- winter-spring: watercress sprigs, rocket leaves, 
  steamd spinach/chard (pita olny), artichoke hearts, asparagus tips
- summer: roasted eggplant, roasted pepper, fresh tomato
- fall: sauteed mushrooms

Season to taste (black pepper or other)

Thick hummous
Makes hummous that has a consistency close to peanut butter,
and makes meat of sandwich to be flavored with toppings above.
Better make less than 1lb dry if you are the only person eating it.
It lasts only a few days before losing flavor and evntually turning
bad. In that case, make 1/2lb in tomato sauce for dinners, or with
indian spices, or any other way to make a main course out of chickpeas.

1lb dry chickpeas (1700 Kcal, 20% CFF)

Use favorite method to cook them while preserving flavor/nutrients
(soak and discard water, boil and discard water or
 sprout and boil or
 soak and discard water, then boil with kombu/grated ginger/savory)
 use/don't use pressure cooker
 use/don't use sodium bicarbonate in soaking water

COOK THOROUGHLY, unless you are willing to wrestle with them for
1hr. Mash them with either potato masher or with device used for
making potage out of boiled veggies. In blender, put 6 garlic cloves,
soy sauce, black pepper as needed, some parsley to taste, juice of four (4)
lemons. Blend, then add to chickpeas mash, mix thoroughly, refrigerate.

---

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Narad)
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 1994 21:03:32 GMT

I had a great one at Whole Foods in Palo Alto last weekend.
I'm going to guess how they made it :-)

	slice seitan very thin (less than 1/4").  Marinate
it in jamaican jerk sauce.  Grill some sliced green peppers,
grill the seitan, then heap seitan and peppers on a sourdough
roll, melt some swiss cheese on top.  Mangia!

----------------------------------
Chuck Narad -- diver/adventurer/engineer

---

From: [email-masked] (Betty Pristine)
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 1994 01:44:46 GMT

> roll, melt some swiss cheese on top.  Mangia!

What is seitan?

**************************************************************************
Emilynn J. Pumarega     |   "To sleep this way I must have found the end
CC '95                  |    of pain."
Yale University         |    --Anais Nin
**************************************************************************