Subject: VEGAN: Lowfat Vegan Pancakes

From: [email-masked] (Gale A. Wilson)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 1994 21:49:00 GMT

Vegan Pancakes

2 cups white flour (bleached, or substitute your favorite flour mixes)
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons egg substitute (see below)
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup piping-hot applesauce
1 - 1 1/2 cup water, or as needed

Combine well the first 4 (dry) ingredients in a large bowl.

In a second bowl, mix the egg substitute with the 1/2 cup
water.  Beat with a mixer on high setting till it thickens
somewhat - about 60-90 seconds.  This is the egg substitute
powder available in Whole Foods stores and other health-food
stores (does not contain any egg product).

Warm-up the applesauce (microwave works well for this)

Combine the egg-substitute and applesauce in the large bowl
with the dry ingredients.  Now add enough additional water
(about 1 or 1.5 cup) until consistency is typical for batter.

>From this point on, cook in a pan or on griddle as with any
other pancake batter.

Enjoy

P.S.  I've found that the egg-substitute really works great as
      long as it is beaten well with an electric mixer.  Also, I
      try to use applesauce frequently in baked stuff as a fat/oil
      replacement - it actually seems to work okay in pancakes...