Subject: REQUEST: Non-fried potato chips

From: [email-masked] (Ashokkumar Patel)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 1994 21:42:54 GMT

Does anyone have a recipe for making non-fried potato chips?
I've seen some chips in the health food stores that are 
delicious, but very expensive for the amount per bag and
have a lot of *salt*.

They are basically make from dried pototoes, I think.  If 
anyone has a recipe for making them, I'd love to have it.
Please email or post.

Thanks.
Ashok Patel
[email-masked]
KEEP IN MIND MY OPINIONS ARE MINE ONLY

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Dennis Melez)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 1994 14:34:33 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>delicious, but very expensive for the amount per bag and

Have you tried Louise's Non[or Low]Fat Potato Chips?  You can get them
unsalted, although I've never tried them that way.  If you live in
California, you can get them at a Trader Joe's for $1.59 for 5 ounces,
compared with, say, Ruffles potato chips @ $1.55 for 6 ounces at my
local supermarket).  I also saw them at a local natural foods store,
although I didn't check the price.  Probably they are a bit more
there.

As for making them yourself, I believe the way to do it is to slice
your potatoes, baste them in oil, and bake them in a very hot
preheated oven.  The idea is to fry them in the oven with a little
oil, as opposed to deep-frying, in which they absorb much more oil.  I
think I even tried this once, a very long time ago, but I don't
remember how it came out.  Maybe not too well, if I can't remember!
:-) If you try it, let us know how it worked.

-- 
Myk Melez                         [email-masked]
                                  University of California
                                  at Santa Cruz

---

From: [email-masked] (Anthony E Bible)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 1994 14:34:32 GMT

>anyone has a recipe for making them, I'd love to have it.

	I make "oven fries" instead of french fried potatoes or home fries.
They are very tasty, and there is virtually no fat.  I vary how crisp they are
by how long they cook.  You might want to try it.

	Slice two or three medium potatoes into chips.  Sprinkle seasoning on
the chips.  I use Old Bay Seasoning, or garlic salt and onion powder, or just
plain salt.  You can sprinkle on whatever strikes your fancy, of course.  The
moistness of the potato chips and the sticky starch holds the seasoning well.
Place the chips on a non-stick cookie tray or spray a cookie tray with one of
the cooking sprays.  Put the tray in a pre-heated oven, 350 - 400 degrees (I
used 375 when I made these this past Monday) and bake until they are done the
crispness you desire.  How long depends on how thick the chips are.  Mine
usually take between 30 minutes and an hour, but I'm trying to get the
consistency of fried potatoes.  Experiment, and you should be able to discover
what works for you -- or that it does not work for you.
	BTW, you can also cut the potatoes lengthwise so they look like french 
fries, and cook them in the same manner.  I like them better than conventional 
fries.

Regards,
Tony

---

From: [email-masked] (Todd Carpenter)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 1994 14:58:29 GMT

AP> Does anyone have a recipe for making non-fried potato chips?
AP> I've seen some chips in the health food stores that are 
AP> delicious, but very expensive for the amount per bag and
AP> have a lot of *salt*.

AP> They are basically make from dried pototoes, I think.  If 
AP> anyone has a recipe for making them, I'd love to have it.
AP> Please email or post.

I've been messing with this lately.  It's embarrassingly easy to
make something that tastes wondeful, and is pretty much fat-free.
Here's what I do:

Short form:
  clean, slice thinly, season, bake at 425 for 15 minutes, eat.

Long form:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Put your cookie sheets in there to
preheat.  Scrub 3 or 4 large potatoes until they're quite clean.
(potatoes have all sorts of nasty fungicides and other icky things
on them. But the skin tastes soooo good.  So clean 'em well)

Slice each potato as thin as possible.  I usually use a french
knife, and get them about 1/16" to 1/8" thick (2mm).  You can use a
potato peeler to make thiner slices, but I don't think it's worth
the effort.

Take your cookie sheets out of the oven, and while they're super
hot, spray with non-stick spray.  Or wipe with a paper towel lightly
dampened with olive oil.  Preheating the pans makes the oil more
effective as a loosener.  If you have well seasoned cookie sheets,
or non stick, you'll probably be able to dispense with this step
altogether.  Place the potato slices on the sheets.  Do a tight
pack, but don't layer.  If you wish, sprinkle _very_ lightly with
salt or other favorite seasonings.  It works best to season now,
since the potato slices are wet, and the seasonings adhere very
nicely.  If you wait until after the cooking, then you'll need some
moistening agent.

Put cookie sheets in oven, and bake.  You have to watch it very
closely, otherwise they'll blacken.  If you make thicker slices,
you'll want to flip them, but I usually find this unnecessary.

Remove, slide into a basket, and prepare the next bunch while you're
munching on these plain, with catsup or fat free sour cream.

After finding how easy this is to do, and how tasty the results, it
makes you wonder why we don't do it more often.  It _is_ however,
obvious why commercial companies don't do this: the 15 minute baking
period is far too long, compared to the 4 or 5 seconds it takes for
a fryer.  Throughput counts when you're trying to make money.

---

From: [email-masked] (David Lawrence)
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 1994 00:57:19 GMT

> Does anyone have a recipe for making non-fried potato chips?

They are easy to make in a microwave. There are specialist chip
makers but the basic technique is to cut thin slices, wash them
and place them on a *non-stick* surface. A plateful (say 12
slices) takes 6-7 minutes. They are improved by sprinkiling with
salt and/or spices before cooking.

--
=====================================================================
David Lawrence, United Reformed Church   [email-masked]
Winsford, Cheshire, UK.                          @cix.compulink.co.uk
    No mythology of the city would be complete without its Scobie
=====================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Karen L Lingel)
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 1994 04:56:58 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Todd Carpenter) writes:
AP> Does anyone have a recipe for making non-fried potato chips?

>  clean, slice thinly, season, bake at 425 for 15 minutes, eat.

You can do this in the microwave too.  Put the potato slices on a 
microwave rack, and zap them for several minutes.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jacquie Parr)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 1994 19:24:54 GMT

You all must be eating different non-fat potato chips than what I have eaten
because the ones that I have eaten taste like card board.

Jacquie

---

From: [email-masked] (Barbara Zimmerman)
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 1994 23:19:11 GMT

Jacquie Parr ([email-masked]) wrote:

: You all must be eating different non-fat potato chips than what I have eaten
: because the ones that I have eaten taste like card board.

: Jacquie

I think you must be cooking them too long.  Mine are delicious.

[email-masked]
-- 
Barbara Zimmerman                    Cotati in Northern California
   Worry is not preparation         Veggies, not violence
        How you do anything is how you do everything