Subject: REQUEST: Making your own cheese

From: [email-masked] (Vijay Sadananda Pai)
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 1994 20:42:04 GMT

The non-dairy cheese recipes posted on this group
seemed well thought out, very helpful.

Can anyone describe a recipe for lacto-vegetarians
like me to make dairy cheese -- I don't buy commercial
cheese because it all uses animal enzymes (like rennet),
but health-food store cheese is SO EXPENSIVE! If anyone
knows a recipe for making dairy cheese at home, please
tell me about it.

Thanks,

Vijay

---

From: [email-masked] (Janet Lupson)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 04:37:35 GMT

Vijay Sadananda Pai ([email-masked]) wrote:
: The non-dairy cheese recipes posted on this group
: seemed well thought out, very helpful.

: Can anyone describe a recipe for lacto-vegetarians
: like me to make dairy cheese -- I don't buy commercial
: cheese because it all uses animal enzymes (like rennet),
: but health-food store cheese is SO EXPENSIVE! If anyone
: knows a recipe for making dairy cheese at home, please
: tell me about it.

: Thanks,

: Vijay

Vijay, I don't have any actual recipes for making cheese but I do have the
name of a book listed in Harrowsmith all about making cheese.  I took it
out of the library once to try some ricotta but never quite got around to
it.  

    Cheesemaking Made Easy.  by Ricki & Robert Carroll.  Softcover, 136
pages, around $14 (Canadian).

Hope this helps.

Jan
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Janet Lupson)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 04:37:35 GMT

: Thanks,

: Vijay

Hope this helps.

Jan
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Alex Liberchuk)
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 1994 04:14:44 GMT

: Thanks,

: Vijay

Hi!

My mother, a great cook, wanted to share her expertize on that topic, so
we here it is in her own words:

 We used to make our own farmer cheese at home
living in Russia, but for
wile I was not able to ajust our recipy to american milk from supermarket.
Resantly I discovered two ways how to make farmer cheese: 1)Pour half
gallon of buttermilk in glass jar, place it in soup boll, put on low
moderate fire and let it warm to the condition when  milk curls would
separate and hey will be clear and green. Let it get cool and discard it
in the calendar covered by cheeseclose. Drain out hay complitely by
putting havy thing over. 2) Instead off buttermilk You may use recular
milk,but be shure it is not preserved. I just discovered a store, which
carries such. Do not keep it in refrigerator, let it get curled and
proceed as above with buttermilk.

Alex, son of Claudia Liberchuk.

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard L Barnaby)
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 1994 18:32:57 GMT

>: knows a recipe for making dairy cheese at home, please

Vijay,
AltaDena does not use rennet in any of their cheeses although it does not
specifically say so.

---

From: [email-masked] (L.A.Z. Smith)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 1994 01:28:48 GMT

>: knows a recipe for making dairy cheese at home, please

There is a company called New England Cheesemaking Supply that sells
everything you need to make cheese, including vegetable enzymes.
Unfortunately I don't have their address or phone number.  Perhaps someone
else has it?

Also, you should know that kosher cheeses are made with vegetable enzymes
rather than rennet (since kashruth forbids the mixing of meat and dairy).
These may be somewhat cheaper than health food stores, and should be
available anywhere kosher foods are sold.  Migdal is one brand name.
Also, look at regular packaged cheeses for a U in a circle, the symbol of
the Union of Orthodox Rabbis.

Leah Smith		[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Hashavshevett LTd.)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 1994 19:52:00 GMT

: Thanks,

: Vijay
Hi, I make a cream cheese. Using a yogurt type of cheese and wrapping it 
up in a cheese cloth type of material and letting it hang over the sink 
over night. The higher the fat of the cheese you are hanging the creamer 
the end result. You can add to the cheese before wrapping it up :onion 
salt or garlic powder or chives whatever you like. It's great for spreading!!

Good luck,
Batya Neppe

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 03:37:43 GMT

>the Union of Orthodox Rabbis.

This keeps coming up, a while back I phone a Temple, spoke to the Rabbi and
asked if kosher cheese contains animal rennet.  He said, " Well, yes, I think 
cheese has to, but it is from kosher cows."  Buyer beware!
Jan

---

From: [email-masked] (Robin L Gelinson)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 14:20:46 GMT

> cheese has to, but it is from kosher cows."  Buyer beware!

Jan,

  Make sure you are calling an ORTHODOX synagogue.  Anyone other than that
does not follow the prohibition of eating rennet.  I will garantee that 
any cheese with a u inside an O is free of Rennet.  Reform Jews do not
follow the same dietary restrictions, and the Conservative movement
can go either way.

The statement about Kosher Cows is also a laugh--there isn't such a
thing as a kosher cow--any cow that is healthy and any place that 
is inspected regularly by a Rabbi with experience can produce kosher
milk.

Robin
-- 
Robin Gelinson		**		Document Delivery Assistant
Disclaimer: I'm		**		Golda Meir Library
only part time...	**		University of Wisconsin--Milwaukee

---

From: [email-masked] (Enrico V. Cantu)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 1994 19:19:08 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:

: This keeps coming up, a while back I phone a Temple, spoke to the Rabbi and
: asked if kosher cheese contains animal rennet.  He said, " Well, yes, I think 
: cheese has to, but it is from kosher cows."  Buyer beware!
: Jan

You didn't seem to pay attention to the previous post--kashurt forbids 
the mixing of milk and meat.  Rennet is so far removed from being an 
animal product, that it kosher by almost all standards.  *Lactic acid* on 
the other hand, is the substance nicely squeezed from animal muscle 
tissue that provides, quick, cheap fermentation.  One has to draw the 
line somewhere as to what is and is not an animal product.  Chemists 
don't make plastics from charcoal (raw carbon) and react it until they 
have a milk jug, they start with compunds that are closer to what they 
want.  Citric acid is not synthesized, it's extracted from fruits, as 
lactic acid is extracted from muscle.  Rennet is synthesized.
--
________________________________________________________________________
Enrico Cantu  Internet: [email-masked]  NeXTMail: [email-masked]