Subject: OVO-LACTO: Spring recipes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 1994 15:53:14 GMT

Spring Vegetable Recipes: OVO-LACTO

Spring will be here soon and this is a recipe my family likes to have
at this time of year.

2 cups fresh fava beans (you can find them frozen also or substitute
     baby lima beans)
1 cup sweet peas (fresh or frozen)
1/2 tsp anise seed
2-3 tbsp fresh fennell, chopped fine
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

In a deep heavy pot heat the olive oil on medium high.  Add the garlic and
saute for 2-3 minutes.  Add the fennell and saute for 1 minute.  Add the
remaining ingredients, and salt and pepper.  Mix everything together well,
cover and let steam for about 1/2 hour or until the beans are done to your
taste--we like them well done, almost overdone.

Here is another one for spring, using eggs  (you can use an egg substitute)

1 lbs fresh asparagus spears--get the tender ones
1 small can tomato sauce
2 cloves garlic
garlic salt and/or salt and pepper to taste
4 whole eggs, beaten with a small amount of milk
2-3 tbsp olive oil

Clean the asparagus well and snapp off the hard stem ends (save for soup).
If the spears are 1/4" in diameter or larger, then cut them in half or
fourths if need be.  The spears should be very tender and small in diameter.

In a heavy skillet, heat the olive oil to medium high.  Add the garlic and
saute for a few minutes.  Add the asparagus and saute until the spears are
very limp and starting to turn golden.  Add the tomato sauce, garlic salt
salt and pepper and continue cooking on medium high until the tomato is very
thick.  You can substitute 2-3 tbsp tomato paste mixed with a little water for
the sauce.  When the tomato has cooked down.  Beat the eggs with about 1/4
cup milk until mixed well and frothy.  Add the asparagus and stir as you would
for scrambled eggs--although be very gentle about it, almost like coddling the
eggs--they really shouldn't be too scrambled but more set like an omlet.

If you don't use milk--substitute water to beat the eggs with.

Hope you enjoy.

We grow a very large garden (fill two freezers with produce) and I am really
anxious to see some different recipes using veggies.  Thanks so much!

Diane M. Ferrell