Subject: Our friend: Nutritional Yeast

From: [email-masked] (Hayden Schultz x3685 )
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 1994 03:53:42 GMT

Could someone please enlighten me about nutritional yeast? I'm
interested in things like what it is, how to use it, nutritional stats
(it's not in the USDA database), etc. 

	Thanks,

	Hayden
-- 
Hayden Schultz
[email-masked]
MIT Lincoln Lab
244 Wood St.
Lexington, MA, 02173
(617) 981-3685

---

From: [email-masked] (Barbara Zimmerman)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 1994 14:34:32 GMT

Hayden Schultz x3685 ([email-masked]) wrote:

: Could someone please enlighten me about nutritional yeast? I'm
: interested in things like what it is, how to use it, nutritional stats
: (it's not in the USDA database), etc. 

: 	Thanks,

: 	Hayden

Nutritional yeast is a mild cheesy tasting substance that is sometimes a 
very good source of vit. B12.

When you buy it, be sure it is fortified with the B 12.

I put it over lots of things where I would normally use some cheese.

Barbara

-- 
Barbara Zimmerman                    Cotati in Northern California
   Worry is not preparation         Veggies, not violence
        How you do anything is how you do everything

---

From: [email-masked] (Allen Warren)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 1994 22:06:18 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Barbara Zimmerman) writes:
 
|> Nutritional yeast is a mild cheesy tasting substance that is sometimes a 
|> very good source of vit. B12.
|> 
|> When you buy it, be sure it is fortified with the B 12.

Besides the B-12 added to fortify, what is good about the yeast?  I can get
B-12 in other ways (like in my homebrew beer!), but am really curious as to
what other nutritional reasons besides using nutritional yeast.

|> I put it over lots of things where I would normally use some cheese.

Again, why?  No, no, not flaming here at all.  I'm just curious why you would
use this instead of cheese?  Realizing that cheese is basically a mold, does
this yeast taste similar to cheese?

allen

---

From: [email-masked] (David Rose)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 1994 19:50:14 GMT

>|> When you buy it, be sure it is fortified with the B 12.

 <stuff deleted>

>this yeast taste similar to cheese?

	I use it is place of cheese too, for example in spaghetti sauce 
and as a topping for the finished spag, like you would use parmesan.  I 
prefer it to cheese because it is vegetarian and low fat.  Is it as good 
as cheese? No. But life is full of compromises.  It is great on popcorn.

									d.

---

From: [email-masked] (Barbara Zimmerman)
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 1994 21:55:56 GMT

Allen Warren ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Barbara Zimmerman) writes:
:  
: |> Nutritional yeast is a mild cheesy tasting substance that is sometimes a 
: |> very good source of vit. B12.
: |> 
: |> When you buy it, be sure it is fortified with the B 12.

: Besides the B-12 added to fortify, what is good about the yeast?  I can get
: B-12 in other ways (like in my homebrew beer!), but am really curious as to
: what other nutritional reasons besides using nutritional yeast.

: |> I put it over lots of things where I would normally use some cheese.

: Again, why?  No, no, not flaming here at all.  I'm just curious why you would
: use this instead of cheese?  Realizing that cheese is basically a mold, does
: this yeast taste similar to cheese?

: allen
Dear Allen,

Many of us do not use dairy.  My reasons are many.  If you are interested,
try to get a hold of a copy of "Don't Drink Your Milk" by Frank Oski, MD 
Head of Pediatric Medicine at Johns Hopkins U School of Medicine.  He and 
Dr. Paige also of Johns Hopkins have some current information in the new 
edition of the Pediatric Forum.  I will quote one or two lines for you, 
"Finally, it is incorrect to suggest that cow's milk protein is the 
cheapest source of high-quality protein in parts of the underdeveloped 
world.  In most places, cow's milk is not even available, and where it is 
available, legumes and grains are far more economical sources of 
satisfactory protein.  The cow is an inefficient producer of 
nutritients.  It is estimated that for every dollar of feed provided to a 
cow, man gets back 9 cents worth of nourishment.  It is also important 
to realize that cattle are linked with the erosion of topsoil and the 
agricultural runoff that damages streams, and worse yet, bovine 
flatulence generates a significant amount of methane, the second most 
important contributor to the greenhouse effect."

[email-masked]