Subject: VEGAN: tomatoes & kale side dish

From: [email-masked] (Emily Breed)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 1994 19:24:32 GMT

A few days ago I got a craving for something with kale, and decided to 
see what I could toss together with what was in the pantry.  The result 
is a very tasty side dish that could hardly be easier to cook:

Tomatoes & Kale
---------------

Ingredients:
	6 leaves curly kale
	1 can (approx. 16 oz) ready-cut tomatoes in juice
	Italian-style seasonings to taste (1/2 tsp mixed oregano, basil,
		and rosemary is a good place to start)

Directions:
Cut or tear kale into bite-sized pieces.  Place in a colander and rinse 
under running water.  Don't drain too thoroughly, as you want a fair bit 
of water to remain on the leaves.  Place the washed kale into a non-stick 
frying pan on medium heat.  Stir as the leaves wilt.

When the leaves are wilted but not completely tender (they should be a 
brilliant green at this point), add the ready-cut tomatoes, reserving the 
juice.  Sprinkle the spices over the pan and continue to stir for a few 
moments, until the tomatoes are heated through.

Add reserved tomato juice to taste; adding a lot will make a soup-like 
dish, while adding a little will make more of a traditional side dish.

Emily Breed                                                  [email-masked]