Subject: REQUEST: pesto pasta

From: [email-masked] (Jim Ray -- Personal Account)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 14:59:32 GMT

Any ideas how to make pesto pasta?  Blind Faith in Evanston IL had a
super dish.  I surely would appreciate a recipe.

Jim Ray                              ...send down your carpenter
Tel:        919-981-7433                from the City of Light
Fax:        919-981-0066                There's a lot of broken things
Internet:   [email-masked]   in this old world tonight...
                                           Rev. Benard Fitzgerald
#include <std.disclaimers>

---

From: [email-masked] (L.A.Z. Smith)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 1994 11:00:55 GMT

>super dish.  I surely would appreciate a recipe.

I'm not certain from this whether you're asking for a dish of pasta with
pesto sauce, or pesto-flavored pasta.  I can't help with the latter,
though I imagine stirring pesto into any stardard pasta recipe in place of
one of the eggs would work.  Here's a recipe for pesto that I often use on
top of pasta, though, sometimes thinning it with a bit more olive oil.

PESTO

2 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
1/4 cup pinenuts, toasted (walnuts may be substituted)

Place the basil, oil, garlic and salt in a food processor and process
until the basil is finely chopped, scraping down sides as necessary.  Add
the cheese and pinenuts and process in on/off bursts until the cheese is
well distributed and the pinenuts are coarsely chopped.

Pack into small jars, topping with a little extra olive oil, and freeze.
Alternatively, place in tablespoonfuls on a wax-paper-lined cookie sheet
in the freezer.  Once frozen, store the pesto mounds in a plastic bag and
return to the freezer.  Makes about 1-3/4 cups.

The pesto also goes into soups and stews and on bread.
When thawed, you can keep it in the fridge for several weeks,
provided you keep the top well covered with fresh oil. 

Leah Smith			[email-masked]

---

From: Ben Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 1994 03:00:11 GMT

Here is the first pesto recipe I learned (In 1982).  It was from an Italia
Italian neighbor.  This is a "winter" pesto, using dried basil only.
It's still one of my favorites -- hope you like it!
In a food processor, combine:
1 10 oz pkg frozen spinach (thawed and drained well)
1/2 cup walnuts
6 cloves garlic
2 Tbs dried basil
1 tsp salt
generous amount black pepper
2/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley, medium-
Puree until a thick paste forms.  With the machine running, add 1 cup
olive oil slowly in a stream.
 
This recipe makes enough sauce for 2 pounds of pasta.  I usually serve
it with cold rotelle or other spiral pasta.  Can be frozen.
I can be reached here or at [email-masked]
(if you have any questions).
				Lisa Lehman Gordon