Subject: Soy Milk & Calcium

From: [email-masked] (Debora Offer)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 20:49:10 GMT

I've heard that cow's milk is a bad source for calcium since it
has too much protein (9 g protein and 25% calcium) which causes
you to actually excrete more calcium than you took in.  Is this
also the case for soy milk?  The brand I drink has 7 g protein 
and 40% calcium.  The protein level is close to that in cow's milk
but the calcium is almost twice as much.  Is this enough to cause
a "net" calcium gain?  The reason I ask is that I just found out
I'm pregnant and I recently removed the eggs and milk from my
diet.  Right now soy milk is the only calcium rich thing I eat.
--
Please reply to the following address.  The old one (ccwf) is running
at 4 times overcapacity!
\__ __/       Debora              [email-masked]        \__ __/
   T any opinions expressed are mine, not necessarily my employers T

---

From: [email-masked] (J.L.B.)
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 1994 17:55:45 GMT

Are there any good low(er)-fat nondairy milk substitutes around?  Most of
the ones I've seen seem to be as high in fat as whole milk.

My fiance is fond of "Amazake Light" but I think it tastes sweet and gritty.

I use skim milk now, since I don't have any trouble digesting it, but I am
considering lowering my intake of dairy products for a variety of reasons.
Specifically, I'm starting to wonder about the antibiotics I must be ingesting.

On a related note...I can't seem to find any references to specific studies
when I see articles (usually short blurbs in health magazines, actually) on
the protein/calcium problem.  Specifically, the theory is that high protein
intake causes one to excrete more calcium and that eating a low protein diet
would reduce or eliminate one's need to make a point of consuming calcium rich
foods.  The example always given is that of Chineser women who eat a plant
based diet and consume very little dairy but have a much lower rate of
osteoporosis than women in western societies.  Maybe this belongs in
sci.med.nutrition, but I thought an interested vegetarian or vegan might
help me out.

jennifer