Subject: Carrots, Broccoli, Celery - dip?

From: [email-masked] (Jim Bowden)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 1994 17:56:50 GMT

Hi, I have a question - I've lately been into this already cut
celery, carrots, and broccoli. The problem is that vegetable dip
is sooo high in fat (at least the stuff I buy at Meijer) -
any suggestions on an alternative??

jim
(first message to rec.food.veg.cooking).
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (William Hunt)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 14:18:31 GMT

>(first message to rec.food.veg.cooking).

First off, I'm not a veggie.  I am just a person that enjoys good food.
I would like to add my comment that most of the recipes I have tried from
this group have been very tasty.

My approach to the dreaded dip problem is this.  By a tub (1pt) of plain 
yogurt.  Also get a package of the low fat Hidden valley ranch ranch salad
dressing (you know, the powdered stuff).  Mix about half a package per pint
of yogurt.  Stir thouroughly and serve.  The floavors blend better if you
let the mix sit in the fridge for about 8 hours though.  Yields a slightly 
tart dip that has about 10 g of fat in the whole tub.  Use the 1.5% fat 
yogurt, higher fat contents tend to cover the seasonings and require more
of them, increasing the salt content.

Don't know if this is allowed on a Lacto diet, but it is good.  As a matter
of fact I just finished some stix.

Later
Bill
*************************************************************************
*  Bill Hunt                        They can take away my books,        *
*  University of Illinois at U-C    They can take away my robes,        *
*  [email-masked]          But they better not touch my beer.  *
*         "The game's not over 'til its over."  -- Yogi Berra           *
*************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Narad)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 1994 15:22:10 GMT

> (first message to rec.food.veg.cooking).

use nonfat yogurt instead of sour cream or mayonaise.  Just
plain yogurt with a package of onion soup mix works, or with
ranch dressing mix.

c/

------------------------------------
Chuck Narad -- diver/adventurer/engineer