Subject: Potato Soup

From: [email-masked] (Stephanie da Silva)
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 1994 15:50:38 GMT

Decided it's about time to do something about my garden and get it ready
for my spring garden.  Hadn't done much to it all winter cause I was sick
so much (the climate in Houston is so mild, I can keep a garden all winter).

It's pretty overrun with weeds so I deweeded about a third of it.  Pulled
up the lettuce, as it had all bolted.  Still have carrots, kale and
green onions.  My soil is so bad that I'm still figuring out what will
grow in it while I'm trying to improve it.  I like the kale because it
not only did it grow well, but I can also just clip the leaves without 
uprooting the plant and it'll grow more.  So I harvested the kale and 
pulled up about half the green onions.

Was planning on making some potato-mushroom soup with my bounty from
the garden, but it ended up being a bit more.  Here's what I tossed
in the pot:

About five potatoes, a turnip and a rutabaga.  I then called a friend
of mine and talked to him for 2 hours while the soup merrily boiled
away but fortunately didn't burn.  Got kind of mushy so I chopped
a red bell pepper, a poblano and some garlic and cooked it in a
separate pot.  In the potato pot, I added a package of Portobella
mushrooms chopped, a package of button mushrooms chopped and the green
onions, sliced.  When the peppers were tender, I tossed them in,
cooking water and all.  Meanwhile I was soaking some shiitakes and
sliced those and added them with the soaking water.  Put in about
1/2 teaspoon each of thyme, marjoram and rosemary.  Not bad, very
mushroom-y.  It's not finished, I still have to add the kale.

-- 
Stephanie da Silva			          PO Box 720711
[email-masked]                               Houston, TX  77272
Moderator, rec.food.recipes                       713 568 0381