Subject: LACTO: Dadhyonam - Yoghurt Rice (Re: WATERY YOGHURT -- WHAT CAN I DO WITH IT?)

From: [email-masked] (Ranganathan Srikanth)
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 1994 20:45:23 GMT

You can make a extremely simple item thats almost
the uncompromising part of a south Indian meal.

Dadhyonam (yoghurt rice)

Ingredients:
Rice very well cooked 
almost to paste (add more              four cups
water while cooking it)

yoghurt (thich or watery doesn't matter)  2-3 cups

Cilantro finely chopped                  1-cup

green chillis finely chopped             1/8 cup

ginger finely chopped                    1/8 cup

black mustard                            1-2 teaspoons

Heeng                                    1/4 teaspoon

salt to taste

milk if the yoghurt is very sour

Mash the rice very well adding yoghurt little by little
into paste of yoghurt and rice. Add salt and hing and
continue to mix. Add the ginger and green chilli and
mix the stuff switching the stove off.

In a small vessel add two tea spoons of oil and
crackle a the mustard on heat. then
add this to the paste and add the cilantro and
mix.

Serve it immediately or refrigerate it for about an hour
and serve.

Don't mix the yoghurt in hot steaming rice. wait for
it to cool.

srikanth

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Wilson)
Date: 4 Mar 94 18:58:28 GMT

Watery yogurt is also good for baking and pancakes!

---

From: [email-masked] (Atri Indiresan)
Date: 4 Mar 94 18:58:26 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> anna@lear (Anna DIPANCRAZIO) writes:

    Anna> My yoghurt has turned out runny.  What can I do with it
    Anna> other than make yoghurt cheese and use it as a salad
    Anna> dressing?

You can use it as a drink - the Indian lassi. Add water (to get the
desired consistency - depends on your personal taste, and different
consistencies have different virtues) and whisk in a blender. Add
spices to taste.

A typical south Indian version would be quite watery. Add salt and a
dash of lemon and blend, then add curry leaves. In a TBSP of oil, fry
some mustard seeds and a pinch of asafoetida (hing), and add to the
liquid. Prepare in advance to the flavor from the curry leaves has
time to get into the liquid. Serve cold. This is very refreshing,
especially on a hot summer day.

A north Indian variation is to have it much thicker, with sugar added.
Quite a different taste, and much heavier - almost soporific.

Garam masala, chili powder and pepper work well too. Fresh chopped
cilantro or mint are also great. All spices and quantities are
approximate, and feel free to experiment.

Lots of Indian recipes also use yogurt in the gravy, and I remember a
German dessert (kind of a yoghurt based custard with fruit
refrigerated in a pie crust) that was delicious. The Greek yougurt,
cucumber dip, tzadziki is another possibility.

Atri

---

From: [email-masked] (Ranganathan Srikanth)
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 1994 20:45:23 GMT

Dadhyonam (yoghurt rice)

Ingredients:
Rice very well cooked 

Heeng                                    1/4 teaspoon

salt to taste

srikanth

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Wilson)
Date: 4 Mar 94 18:58:28 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Atri Indiresan)
Date: 4 Mar 94 18:58:26 GMT

Atri

---

From: [email-masked] (Vivek Sadananda Pai)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 1994 17:29:48 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, anna@lear (Anna DIPANCRAZIO) writes:
|> 
|> My yoghurt has turned out runny.  What can I do with it other than make 
|> yoghurt cheese and use it as a salad dressing?  
|> 
|> Any suggestions are welcome.

Try an Indian milkshake called "Lasshi" (spelling varies).

Mix equal parts yogurt and milk. Add one-half part ice.
Add sugar, lemon juice to taste (rose water if desired).

Blend on high (or frappe) until smooth and frothy.

Serve cold, perhaps with some crushed cardamom or
crushed pistachio nuts on top.

-Vivek

Note: you can also add bananas, mango, ...
Also, some people prefer the salty lassi, which
is made with salt, and very little sugar (if any)

---

From: [email-masked] (Sarah J Barber)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 1994 03:53:42 GMT

Anna DIPANCRAZIO (anna@lear) wrote:

: My yoghurt has turned out runny.  What can I do with it other than make 
: yoghurt cheese and use it as a salad dressing?  

yoghurt can be strained using cheesecloth (available at most grocery
stores, I think).  I recently tried this for making a firm-yoghurt salad,
and the cheesecloth was like gauze.  I used a few layers of it, and I was
amazed how much liquid came out, without any of the yogourt solids.

---

From: [email-masked] (Gary Shea)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 1994 21:42:54 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,

You could mix it with uncooked quick oatmeal and honey and have
breakfast... like I do every morning!

	Gary
-- 
Gary Shea ([email-masked])           Department of Computer Science
					University of Kansas, Lawrence