Subject: LACTO: Mom's easy yougurt recipe & yougurt cheese (repost)

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Narad)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 09:28:59 GMT

(note: I just got my archives back on line, and decided to
repost recipes I sent over the last year or so for the benefit
of new readers, and also for r.f.v.c. All will be flagged with
"repost" in the subject line.)

===================================================

My mother found this simple *no boil* yogurt recipe in the
paper the week we moved to California (back in 1973).  She
makes 2-3 batches every week.

Stir 1-3/4 cups nonfat instant milk powder
Into 3-3/4 cups hot tap water.
Add 3 Tablespoons of yogurt (no additives)*
OR 2 envelopes Yogurmeit (any health food store should have it).

Pour into cups, cover, plug in the yogurt maker for 7-10 hours
and refrigerate.  Easy!  She cleans the cups & lids in the dishwasher
just before using them.

*Save some from each batch to start the next batch.

If you don't have a yogurt maker, you can generally
find them cheap and unused at garage sales.

Another recipe:

        Yougurt Cheese

        Empty 4 cups of yogurt into a paper-lined
coffee filter (like a Melita); set over a bowl, and let drip
for 6-10 hours.  The result is like cream cheese.  You can
mash in chives, onions, or whatever when it is done.

enjoy!
chas/

---------------------------------------
Chuck Narad -- diver/adventurer/engineer