Subject: REQUEST: fat & sugar free muffin receipe

From: [email-masked] (Karyn Saemi Kim)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 1994 23:52:49 GMT

If anyone has a receipe for either a fat & sugar free or just fat free
muffin receipe I would greatly appreciate it.  There is a muffin place
which sells such muffins and I love the taste.  I love baking and I would
like to make some myself but unfortunately I am a receipe person. 

So anyone out there with a such receipe or suggestion, please responed.

Karyn

---

From: [email-masked] (David Barton)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 22:54:56 GMT

[email-masked] (Karyn Saemi Kim) writes:

   If anyone has a receipe for either a fat & sugar free or just fat
   free muffin receipe I would greatly appreciate it.  

>From memory, extracted from Graham Kerr's cookbook:

  2 cups oat bran (or any bran, really)
  2 cups white flour
  4 teaspoons baking powder
  1 teaspoon baking soda
  1 teaspoon cream of tartar (my own addition)

  1/2 cup egg substitute, egg white, or whatever replacement (Ener G)
  1/2 cup molassas
  1/2 cup condensed skim milk
  1 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
  1 cup frozen raspberries, thawed only slightly

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Combine the dry ingredients, and whisk together (or sift after
measuring).  Combine wet ingredients, except for raspberries.  Pour
the wet ingredients over the dry ones, and fold gently in for about
fifteen strokes.  Add raspberries, and fold five more times while
keeping the raspberries as whole as possible (avoid crushing).  If
flour still shows, fold until it is all wet and no longer visible, as
little as possible.

Spoon into muffin tins, sprayed *lightly* with cooking spray.  Make
each cup slightly rounded; these will not rise as much as light
muffins made only with flour, and the batter is thick enough that it
should not run over the sides and onto the oven floor.  Bake for 25
minutes at 350 degrees.  Remove from the tins, and let cool for five
minutes before eating on a rack.

I hope you enjoy this recipe.

					Dave Barton
					[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (MANGI)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 1994 15:22:12 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>So anyone out there with a such receipe or suggestion, please responed.

I am not a baker, just a sautee chef, but my girlfriend makes excellent 
fat free chocolate muffins with Apple Sauce in place of the eggs, they 
are delicious and moist!

Rick

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 1994 19:19:08 GMT

>So anyone out there with a such receipe or suggestion, please responed.

Karyn,
I don't have an actual recipe with me, but I have had pretty good luck
with just substituting applesauce for the oil and sugar in a number of
recipes (in a hurry, I've even used a muffin mix but added applesauce
instead of oil).  

=====
Cheryl Feight
Vermillion, SD
[email-masked]
=======

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Clark)
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 1994 23:54:43 GMT

>So anyone out there with a such receipe or suggestion, please responed.

I don't have it handy at the moment, but there is a recipe in _Laurel's
Kitchen_, "Lynne's Muffins" that is fat free, mostly oatmeal, and very
good.  It calls for a scant 2 TBS. of sugar, but you could leave that
out without hurting the flavor much.   I prefer sweeter muffins and have
bumped up the amount of brown sugar to 1/4 cup and added a handful of 
raisins as well.   I also replace the egg in the recipe with flax seeds.

Scott