Subject: VLF: Vegan Stuffed Squash

From: [email-masked] (Tanya Heikkinen)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 1994 18:07:03 GMT

I made this up last night and it was very tasty!  I purposefully made it
vegan and fatfree to test my unsuspecting SO, and he loved it.

Stuffed Squash
--------------
(serves 4)

1 large spaghetti squash
1 cup dried tomatoes (I use the dry ones, not packed in oil)
1/2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms (or porcini)
3 garlic cloves
1 cup bread crumbs (or whole stale bread)
1 cup fresh button mushrooms, chopped
1 Jerusalem artichoke, peeled and chopped
2 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp rosemary, crushed
1 dash balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
about 1/2 cup water

Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Halve the squash and scoop out the insides.
Place cut-side down in a baking pan and bake for about 20 minutes, or until
it begins to get soft.

Soak the dried tomatoes and mushrooms separately in hot water.

Throw the garlic into a food processor while the machine is running.  Process
until the garlic is completely chopped.  Throw in the stale bread and process
until you have large crumbs.  Empty into a medium mixing bowl.  

Add the fresh mushrooms, artichoke and herbs to the bowl.  When the dried
tomatoes and mushrooms have softened, chop and add to the bowl.

Turn the squash halves over and fill.  Add water to the filling to keep the
squash from getting too dry.

Bake another 10 minutes.  Serve hot.

Notes:

1)  I served the squash as halves.  You may also scoop the squash out and
    serve it like pasta in a large bowl, mixed with the filling.

2)  The filling would also be good if it were lightly sauteed in the 
    balsamic vinegar and water before adding it to the squash.

3)  Any mild-flavored squash would be just as good, such as zucchini.  I also
    have a fondness for adding pumpkin puree to my spaghetti sauce, which
		leads me to believe that even the very flavorful winter squashs may make
		good containers for this filling.

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tanya Heikkinen
[email-masked]