Subject: Soybean product-not Tofu!!

From: [email-masked] (Ramprasad Ramakrishna)
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 1994 04:04:08 GMT

Around 10 -12 years back in India we used to get some kind of a
soybean product called 'Nutrella??" or something like that ...
It was some kind of processed soybean product that was in the form of
hard bite sized granules , but becoming somewhat spongy/chewy when cooked. 
I have no idea what the product was called, I dont think people
took to it  and it disappeared. 
I was wondering if someone could enlighten me as to what that damn
thing was and also whether it is available here. 
Prasad

---

From: [email-masked] (Michelle Dick)
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 1994 18:32:57 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>soybean product called 'Nutrella??" or something like that ...

Nutrela.

>took to it  and it disappeared. 

It's still around.

>thing was and also whether it is available here. 

It's definately available in the US (though can't say you'll have
success in the middle of cow country aka Indiana).  Try an Indian
foods shop (are there any in Indiana?).  I've had a box of it sitting
in the food closet for about a year now.  I saw it, said, hmmm, this
looks interesting, and bought it.  I have no idea what to do with it.
I assume it's very similar to the TVP (texturized vegetable protein)
that's made in the U.S from defatted soy flour (though Nutrela may not
be as lowfat as TVP) and that I can just use it as I would TVP.

Box says:

A quality product of Ruchi
Soya Industries ltd.
214, Tulsiani Chambers, 2nd floor
Backbay Reclamation, nariman point
Bombay 400 021

--
Michelle Dick
Owner, FATFREE Vegetarian Mailing List
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Gunter Pfaff)
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 1994 18:32:57 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> soybean product called 'Nutrella??" or something like that ...

I would bet it was TVP -texturized vegetable protein - and it is available
herabouts in Coops etc.