Subject: VEGAN: veggy sloppy joe?

From: [email-masked] (Karen Fegley)
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 1994 23:38:40 GMT

[email-masked] writes:
> Hi!  I just wanted to know if anyone has a recipie for vegetarian sloppy 
> joe mix.  I had sloppy joes once made out of tofu, and they were great, but
> I don't have the slightest idea how to make them myself.  If anyone has a
> good recipie, please let me know about it, as well as where to get the
> ingredients.

Here is a quick, tasty vegetarian sloppy joe recipe.  It originated
in an article in Vegetarian Times a couple of years ago, but I have
adapted it extensively.  You
should be able get all of the ingredients in a well-stocked super-
market these days except, maybe, the falafel mix (check in a Middle-
Eastern food store or a health-food store).

FALAFEL SLOPPY JOE

6 oz. dry falafel mix (~1 c.)
2 tbsp. safflower or other vegetable oil
28 oz. can Italian-style tomatoes, cored  but not drained
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8-1/4 tsp. pizza pepper
2 tsp. chili powder
15-16 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
4-6 oz. extra-sharp cheddar or pepper jack cheese, grated (optional)
4 slices bread or 2-4 English muffins

1. Prepare falafel mix according to package directions.  This usually
   means mixing the falafel mix with 1 c. water and letting stand for
   10 minutes.

2. Heat the oil in a large pan (preferably non-stick) and add the
   prepared falafel mix.  Cook and stir until the mix dries out a bit
   and starts to clump.

3. Add the tomatoes, salt, pizza pepper, chili powder, and black beans.
   Stir to mix.  Partially cover pan and cook, stirring occasionally,
   until mixture thickens to sloppy-joe consistency.

4. Toast bread.  When sloppy joe is ready, serve over toast with
   cheese sprinkled on top, if desired.  Makes two generous servings.

Karen Fegley
Stratus Computer, Inc.
[email-masked]