Subject: VEGAN: Soy Burgers

From: Teresa Marie Esch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 1994 10:27:57 GMT

Okay, here's the recipe which I got from Vegetarian Times, July, 1991.
VT has a lot of good recipes.

Soy Burgers

2 c cooked soybeans
1/2 onion, minced 
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbs safflower [or other] oil
1 Tbs tamari or soy sauce [I usually add a bit of white wine as well]
1 Tbs toasted [or not] sesame seeds
1/4 c whole-wheat flour
1/4 tsp freshly [or not] ground black pepper
2 tsp melted soy margarine (optional)

In a food processor or a food mill, process soybeans to a coarse
meal.  Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.

In a small skillet, saute' onion and garlic in oil over mediom heat
for about 3 minutes.  Add to soybeans.  Add tamari or soy sauce,
sesame seeds, flour, and pepper.  Mix well.  Shape into 4 patties.
Grill patties, brushing both sides with melted soy margarine if
desired, until nicely browned, about 5 minutes on each side.

[They also work well in a frying pan.]

The recipe recommends serving with tahini sauce or yogurt sauce. I've
only tried the yogurt sauce, which is good, and so I'll post it as a
bonus recipe, even though it isn't vegan.  I hope no one minds too
much.

Yogurt Sauce

1 c plain non-fat yogurt
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice 
1/4 tsp tamari or soy sauce 
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 Tbs chopped parsley, cilantro, or mint

...combine all ingredients...