Subject: Rice - How nutritious???

From: [email-masked] (Abraham S. Mantell)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 16:15:27 GMT

Hello,

I have been consuming much rice the last few months, and am curious to
know what nutritional value it has??  

It seems to me that white rice is primarily "filler"...thus I try to
eat mostly brown or grain-type rice, I figure at least it contains more
fiber than white rice...and perhaps more vitamins and minerals as well.

But I am not certain about all this.

So, is rice a good food to eat in large quantities, or not??

Thanks in advance!!!

Abe

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Andrew McMichael)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 21:52:00 GMT

Abraham S. Mantell ([email-masked]) wrote:
[...deletia concerned brown v. white rice...]
: So, is rice a good food to eat in large quantities, or not??

For what it's worth:

I've been a vegan for about 8 months and a lacto-ovo for 7 years
before that.  Upon going vegan,  I initially experienced some 
tiredness, lack of energy, etc.  I started eating rice,  both brown
and white,  with at least one meal a day in order to boost
my complex carb/starch intake.  It has certainly helped.  I probably
go through a couple of pounds/week of rice and take a multi-
vitamin and vitamin 'C'.  I run, swim, bike,  and play water polo.
So *I* think rice in large quantities is a Good Thing in that it
is a good, compact source of vitamins and minerals.

--
Andrew McMichael   [email-masked]    Graduate School of History

Thiry spokes converge upon a single hub; It is on the hole in the center that 
the use of the cart hinges.  -Lao Tzu

---

From: [email-masked] (Molly Bowling)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 1994 23:06:03 GMT

>fiber than white rice...and perhaps more vitamins and minerals as well.

I read the labels on some packages of whole-grain rice and white rice,
and discovered that the processed, white rice had more vitamins and
minerals, but the white rice is enriched.  

Whole-grain rice takes longer to digest, and leaves me fuller longer.  I
also like the taste better.

--- Molly Bowling
|X| [email-masked]
---

---

From: [email-masked] (Chang Kil Park)
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 1994 14:49:31 GMT

>know what nutritional value it has??  

Dear Sir:
	 
     I am not sure whether white rice is just filler, but I
am quite sure the value of brown rice from my experience.  
I was recommended a bowl of brown rice is as good as 20 eggs.
     As I used to be vegetarian who  do not know how to cook
nutritious dishes, I used to feel very weak.  
     One week after I start to eat brown rice, I could feel some
energy soaring in my body and I came to love brown rice since then.
I strongly recommend those who eat white rice everyday
to try brown rice for a week.
     Brown rice is health food which prevent some diseases too.

Changkil