Subject: RE: Rice - How nutritious???

From: [email-masked] (Jean P Nance)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 13:56:33 GMT

>From "The Handbook of the Nutritional Contents of Foods" publishd
by the USDA. Here are some figures for a pound of rice: prot
brown rice 34 grams. white rice 30 grams. Fat. Brown rice 8.6 
grams. White rice, 1.8 grams. Vitamins: thiamin, riboflavin,
niacin, Brown rice 1.52,.24,21.4, White rice, 2.0, -, 16. I 
assume that blank means not enough to bother with. Rice is
good food, especially brown rice. 
--

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Katriel)
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 1994 18:18:52 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked]
writes:
>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Jean P
>Nance) writes:
>> 
>EEEK! CAN this be true? The Brown rice we have been adoring
>has almost 5 times the fat of white rice, with only 13% more protein?
>Other than the additional fiber, doesn't this say EAT WHITE RICE( heresy)?
>...
>

>From Dr. Martin Katahn's "The T-Factor Fat Gram Counter" (W. W. Norton &
Company, NY), page 58:

Item       Serving  Tot Fat  Sat Fat  Cholest.  Cal's  Fiber  Sodium
                      (g)      (g)      (mg)            (g)    (mg)
---------  -------  -------  -------  --------  -----  -----  ------
rice
  brown    1/2 cup    0.6       0        0       116     2       0
  white    1/2 cup    1.2       0        0       111     0       0

So, brown rice appears to have half the amount of fat white rice has.
The percent of calories fat from for brown rice is 4.6% and for white
rice it is 9.7%.  Both are much less than 20%, the recommended level
in many maintenance diets.  Note that white rice has no significant
amount of fiber (0 g) compared with brown rice (2 g).

--Ron Katriel, University of Pennsylvania, [email-masked]
Ron Katriel
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer and Information Science Dept.             [email-masked]
200 S 33rd St., Room 556

---

From: [email-masked] (Marvin Moskowitz)
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 1994 01:44:09 GMT

Of course 77 calories from fat is negligible in a POUND of rice, but
still...

Is the pound cooked or raw weight?

*Marvin S. Moskowitz              __o                                      *
*Transaction Tech, Inc.          -\<,      Paths: [email-masked]          *
*3100 Ocean Park Blvd.     ......O/ O       [email-masked] *
*Santa Monica, CA  90405                (310) 450 9111 x3197               *