Subject: VEGAN: Roasted Eggplant Foccacia (& margaritas) (repost)

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Narad)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 09:57:10 GMT

I made this one up for a pool party this weekend; it was a big hit!

        ROASTED EGGPLANT FOCCACIA

        2 sheets plain foccacia bread (purists can make it from scratch)
        1 medium sized eggplant
        1 large red bell pepper
        1 large green bell pepper
        1 large red onion
        1 jar artichoke hearts
        handful sundried tomatoes (okay, I admit it; this can be
                classified as yuppie food :-)
        olive oil
        red wine vinegar
        garlic (about 6-8 cloves)
        dried basil and marjoram
        cook's choice of red or white wine

Peel, crush, and chop the garlic.  In a mixing bowl put the garlic,
about 1/3c olive oil, a couple of tablespoons of vinegar, and a healthy
pinch each of basil and marjoram.  (I don't cook with precision, so you
won't find it in my recipes!)

Cut the ends off of the eggplant, split it lengthwise, and slice into
1/4" thick slices.  Dip each piece in the oil mixture, and arrange on a
foil-covered baking pan.  Broil until soft, turning once.

Core the red and green bell peppers, slice into strips, cut the strips
in half.  Toss them into the oil mixture, then scoop out and place them
on another foil-covered baking pan.  After the eggplant is done, broil
the peppers, stirring occasionally, until soft (the kitchen smells
really good about now).  Have some wine.

Peel the red onion, and slice thin, then break up the slices.  Crush a
couple of cloves of garlic, and rub them on the top of the foccacia
bread.  Scatter some sundried tomatoes on each bread, then loosely
cover with a layer of onion.  Arrange the eggplant to mostly cover;
then scatter the roasted peppers; then add some artichoke hearts,  and
scoop the remaining garlic from the oil, and scatter that across the
top. Admire the pretty colors.  Have some wine.

Place the foccacio on the baking pans, and bake uncovered at 350 for
about 20 minutes.  Then pull them out, take another baking pan, and use
it to press lightly so that all of the veggies merge together just a
little.  Let cool, cover with foil, and refrigerate overnight.  The
next day it can be heated or served cold.  I cut it into slices about
3" square.

Serve with sunshine, fresh air, and about 5 gallons of margaritas.

        Chuck's Margaritas (vegan)

Fill blender with ice. Add tequila (sauza comemorotivo anejo for special, or
Cuervo gold for everyday) to the 1/3 mark.  Add triple sec (or grand
marinier for special) up to the 1/2 mark.  Add Rose's lime juice about
1/2".  Fill to near the top with Mr. &  Mrs. T's Sweet and Sour Mix.  Blend
to perfection. Serve copiously and continuously.

-----------------------------
Chuck Narad -- diver/adventurer/engineer