Subject: Re: REQUEST: Vegetarian Sandwiches

From: [email-masked] (N J Doye)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 1994 18:26:10 GMT

Hi,
here's what I like in a sandwich, hope other people find these edible :->

Three standard ones the moderator will probably delete. :->
1. Peanut Butter. (no marg. required)
2. Tahini (creamed sesame). (no marg. required)
3. Marmite (yeast extract + veg. extract + vitamins).

Sexy sarnies:
1. Peanut Butter and Marmite. Spread the Marmite thicker than you would 
   normally. This is my *favourite* sandwich. Not only is the taste out of this
   world, but the sarnie is very nutritious. (Protein, B12, etc.)
2. Tahini + Soy Sauce. Sprinkle Soy Sauce on one slice of bread (unmarg'ed) 
   and put tahini on the other. (If one tries to put soy sauce on tahini it
   beads up and rolls off.
3. Mixed Sprouting Beans + (egg free) mayonnaise. I use Plamil vegan mayo ---
   it's really good.
4. Alfalfa sprouts + (egg free) mayonnaise.
5. Smokey Snaps + (egg free) mayonaisse. Smokey Snaps are a bacon flavoured
   TVP made by Direct Foods. I don't hydrate it first.
6. Smokey Snaps + Tomato Ketchup.

Enjoy,
nic.

---

From: [email-masked] (Peg Bassett)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 1994 18:27:10 GMT

>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Apoorv Dwivedi) writes:
>Help! I'm in need of some serious sandwich recipes for
>vegetarians. Apart from standard Peanut Butter & Jam (ya' can't
>beat that), and pita pockets filled with all sorts of vegetables,
>I don't really have that many recipes. 
> 
>If any netters could send me your favourite recipes, or if anyone
>knows of a good book, IT WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED :)  
> 
>My mom's an incredible Indian cook, so if anyone wants to swap
>that's fine by me. Thanks much! 
> 
>apoorv.,

I've had a couple of delicious sandwiches this week:

2 slices whole wheat bread
cottage cheese
cream cheese
fresh ground pepper

whole wheat italian bread
marinated artichoke hearts (olive oil, lemon juice, oregano)
kidney bean salad (beans, celery, yogurt, hard boiled eggs)
provolone
sliced tomato
sliced cucumber
red leaf lettuce
a bit of hot, spicy mustard

This sandwich is really challenging to eat but yummy!

Another thing you can try is mixing sunflower seeds with peanut
butter.  Makes a nice crunchy spread.

peg

-- 

 ==========================================================================
     Peggy Bassett                                  [email-masked]
     Network Applications Group                          (812) 855-9111
     University Computing Services                            
     Indiana University                   Have you been to the Y today?
 ==========================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Convissor)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 1994 20:41:02 GMT

Salad Sandwich:

Two slices of bread.  On one put almond buter.  On the other put miso.

Add your favorite vegies.  I like red leaf lettuce, parsley,
(fresh/ripe/summer) tomatoes, carrots, garlic... etc.  I put on what ever is
around.  It doesn't much matter.  It all tastes good.

You can even put on some walnuts.  With the carrots, cut them across the
carrot, making round chunks, not strips, and imbed them into the almond
butter or miso.  Imbed the nuts into the sticky stuff too.  This way, they
don't fall out.

MANGIA!
-- 
|| D A N I E L    C O N V I S S O R  : Some people see things as they are
|| e-mail:  [email-masked]        :    and say why.
|| Transportation Consultant         : I see things that never were
|| Brooklyn, New York                :    and say why not. -Geo. Bernard Shaw

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephanie da Silva)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 21:38:00 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>I don't really have that many recipes. 

I got a truly awesome one from Whole Foods one time (and haven't seen it
since, much to my chagrin).

As far as I could tell this is all it was.  On one side was sliced brie,
and the other side was an olive salad made of about equal parts of chaopped 
black olives, chopped parsley and chopped fresh garlic.

Was very intense, I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't into garlic.

---

From: [email-masked] (Matt Austern)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 22:25:05 GMT

> Was very intense, I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't into garlic.

This sounds pretty similar to a few very nice sandwich recipes in _The
Savory Way_, by Deborah Madison.

The basic idea of several of the sandwiches in there is that if you
start with good olive paste (Madison includes a recipe for it), and
then put on cheese, or tomatoes, or pickled red onions, or whatever,
you'll end up with something good.
--
Matthew Austern                       Never express yourself more clearly
[email-masked]             than you think.    ---N. Bohr

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Donaghy)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994 14:32:10 GMT

Lots and lots of sprouted beans. If you're made entirely of money, you can
sometimes buy these, ready-srpouted, in Sainsbury's. I've yet to make them
myself. With mayonnaise is good, but if you don't eat that, mustard is
good. Cheese, too. A *big* sandwich, though, sprouted beans and cheese.
Nutritionally very sound, I think. 

Dave

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Dave Donaghy, School of Maths, University of Bristol, BRISTOL BS8 1TW, U.K.
  EMAIL: [email-masked], TEL: 0272 - 28 8658, FAX: 0272 - 30 3316
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Cross X8663 P5108)
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 1994 01:44:18 GMT

>I don't really have that many recipes. 
<<snip>>
>apoorv.,

For a sloppy-joe/meatball type effect, cook bulgur (cracked wheat) in tomato sauce,
with mushrooms and/or peppers.  Also makes for good chili with beans.

--Daniel
_____________________________________________________________________
Daniel L. Cross  ([email-masked])     |          ______
Motorola International Paging Organization|         / /\/\ \
Boynton Beach, Florida                    |        ( /_^^_\ )
                                          |         \______/
Even more obscure and irrelevant .sig     | My opinions not to be       
quotation:   "You know, I hate black!"    | confused with Motorola's.