Subject: VEGETARIAN INDIAN COOKBOOKS: Recommendations requested

From: [email-masked] (detraglia s j iii)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 1994 21:06:56 GMT

Greetings Gentle Readers:

As a recently converted vegetarian, but a long-time Indian food lover, I 
would appreciate some recommendations as to the "best" cookbook for 
vegetarian Indian cooking.  

Thanx in advance, yawl!

Sal DT
University of Illinois College of Law/College of Commerce

------------------------------------------
All opinions stated by the author are, in my opinion, unopinionated.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Carl Christensen)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 01:12:05 GMT

The one I always see talked about is "Lord Krishna's Cuisine."
It's huge, but depending on your religious background you may
not like it as it was written by a devotee of the Hare Krishna's
(ISKCON).

It won several awards when it first came out, and the recipes are
very extensive (and there's very many of them).

----
Carl Christensen                 /~~\_/~\        ,,,  For music fun on MS Win
[email-masked] |  #=#==========#   | download alcomp11.zip
"Curiouser and curiouser!"- LC   \__/~\_/        ```  at a popular FTP site!

---

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Narad)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 01:12:13 GMT

> vegetarian Indian cooking.  

"The Best of Lord Krishna's Indian Vegetarian Cuisine" by Yamuna
Devi is excellent!!

c/

---------------------------------
Chuck Narad -- diver/adventurer/engineer

---

From: [email-masked] (Judy Karpen)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 22:15:29 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> vegetarian Indian cooking.  

Boy, this should be an FAQ by now!  :^>

IMHO Julie Sahni's books are the best, esp her pure vegetarian one (still
cant get the title straight, but it's something like Indian Vegetable and
Grain Cooking....).  Only caveat is that her Indian Microwave Cooking is
uneven, but interesting. Madhur Jaffrey's Worlds of the East has alot of
Indian dishes in it, as well as interesting dishes from the rest of Asia,
and the ones i've tried were good.  I'm not fond of the Yamuna Devi stuff
because she uses hing (asafetida) instead of onions and garlic,  but that's
my personal tastes (and her religious restrictions). 

-- 
Judy Karpen                        "pushing back the frontiers of
science...."
[email-masked]          Code 7675K, NRL, Washington DC
20375-5352

---

From: [email-masked] (Linda McAllister)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 1994 20:17:33 GMT

>my personal tastes (and her religious restrictions). 

I'll second the recommendation for Sahni's books with another caveat:  she's fond
of using both sour cream and yogurt in the same recipe, so you may want to do some
experimenting if you want a low fat recipe.  Her comments are usually interesting,
especially when she talks of how meat-based recipes are adapted for vegetarian
cooking.  Her first book, while not a vegetarian cookbook per se, contains my 
favorite bean dish: garbanzos in tamarind sauce.

---

From: [email-masked] (Sanjiv Singh)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 13:54:25 GMT

I have a collection of recipes that is mostly indian but has many thai
and other south east asian recipes in it.  For example, I have a whole
section on lentils (dals, sambar, and even dosai).  The collection is
not entirely vegetarian but my guess is that more than 50% of the
recipes are vegetarian.  Here is a little blurb and how to get the
collection:

===========================================================================
Since 1985 I have been collecting recipes that I want to have at
hand.  I typed a few into a computer, then a few people asked me 
for a copy and before I knew it, the collection has grown to about
150 recipes. Most recipes have origins in South Asia (India, Thailand, 
Indonesia) but I also have a smattering of recipes from all over.
The latest version has several new recipes. Many old recipes have been 
rewritten, and errors have been fixed.

The recipes come from other cooks (many from a dinner cooperative at
Carnegie Mellon that I am a member of), magazines, and from the Usenet. 
I have tampered with most to suit my own taste but a few are included 
exactly as I received them. 

First, the file format.  It is most easy to get the recipes in postscript
format.  Send the file ('lpr' should work on unix machines) to your favorite
laser printer (Apple LaserWriter work well) and you are in business. There
are two versions 

	recipes-one-up.ps	each page printed out on letter sized paper
	recipes-two-up.ps	two pages on one sheet of paper

**NOTE: The collection is 85 pages long.  You might want to view it using
**ghostscript before you send it to a printer.

There is no plain ASCII version.  If you can't print postscript, sorry, you
are out of luck. Note that the two page format has the smallest type at
around 6 point font, so while you will definitely save some paper, you might
have to squint a little bit.  However, it is legible, even at 2 ft.

I am including a sample session of ftp that retrieves the one-page-per-sheet
version as the file 'recipes'.  I have tried this and know it works so
please try to follow the example if you have problems.  We have a special
ftp at CMU and it will behave strangely if you try things that work
elsewhere. Just follow the example.

------------------------------------------------------------------
% ftp h.gp.cs.cmu.edu
Connected to H.GP.CS.CMU.EDU.
220 H.GP.CS.CMU.EDU FTP server (Version 4.105 of 10-Jul-90 12:07) ready.
Name (h:wg): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send username@node as password.
Password:
230 Filenames can not have '/..' in them.
ftp> get /usr/ssingh/recipes-one-up.ps recipes
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening data connection for /usr/ssingh/recipes-one-up.ps
(128.2.242.7,2717) (418138 bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
local: recipes remote: /usr/ssingh/recipes-one-up.ps
418138 bytes received in 5.2 seconds (78 Kbytes/s)
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't establish a FTP connection (please try a couple of times), send
me mail and I'll mail you the postscript version. If your mailer won't take
chunks larger than 100K, sorry, I suggest you find another machine.  If you
want to archive this collection at some other site feel free to do so, but
please send me mail about it.
--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sanjiv Singh                                    [email-masked]
Field Robotics Center                           (412) 268-5895
Carnegie Mellon University
-----------------------------------------------------------------------