Subject: Vegetarian mailing lists?

From: [email-masked] (Michael Edson)
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 1994 00:11:55 GMT

I've got a friend who only as email access to the internet.  Does anyone 
know of any mailing lists (bitnet or otherwise) that are somewhat like 
this group?
-- 
Michael Edson
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Ned Schumann)
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 1994 21:55:50 GMT

Michael Edson ([email-masked]) wrote:

: I've got a friend who only as email access to the internet.  Does anyone 
: know of any mailing lists (bitnet or otherwise) that are somewhat like 
: this group?

How about trying EAT-L or EAT-LF (LF=low fat) They aren't vegatarian 
mailing lists, but it's surprising how many veggie recipes are included 
especially on the low fat list. They are both really nice friendly 
groups, got turned on to them thru GARDENS which is my all-time 
favourite list!  Addresses: [email-masked]  Subscribe EAT-LF 
your name  and [email-masked]  Subscribe EAT-L your name.

Hope this helps, Kate Schumann  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Sridhar Venkataraman)
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 1994 21:55:57 GMT

[email-masked] (Michael Edson) writes:

| I've got a friend who only as email access to the internet.  Does anyone 
| know of any mailing lists (bitnet or otherwise) that are somewhat like 
| this group?

* Mailing lists

   EAT-L 

      This is a foodlore/recipe exchange list. This can be subscribed to 
      by mailing to: [email-masked]
      send a message that says: sub EAT-L <your_real_name>

   EAT-LF -- Eat Low Fat Mailing List

      EAT-LF is for discussion of low fat/very low fat diets and is
      not restricted to vegetarian foods.

      To join send email to:	[email-masked]
      With the message:		subscribe eat-lf <your name>

   FATFREE -- Fat Free Vegetarian Mailing List

      FATFREE is a high-volume mailing list for discussion of vlf
      *vegetarianism*.  To join send email to the address:
                [email-masked]
      with one of the following subjects:
                ADD            to join the regular list
                ADD DIGEST     to join the digest list
      The digest is a one-a-day compilation of all the messages on the
      list from the previous day.  There is no difference in content
      between the regular and digest list.  Most folks prefer the
      digest.

   BA-FATFREE  -- SF Bay Area List

      This is an off-shoot of the FATFREE list.  It is intended for
      folks who live in or near the Bay Area to discuss local issues
      and arrange get-togethers/potlucks.  To subscribe, send the
      message "subscribe" to "[email-masked]".      

   CHICAGO AREA FATFREE LIST

      This is local FATFREE list for those who live in or near the
      Chicago Area.  For more information write to:

	[email-masked]
		or
	[email-masked]

   VEGGIE LIST 

      Any aspect of vegetarianism, vegetarian life style, or indeed anything 
      relevant to vegetarians.  
        To join, please send mail to [email-masked].

   VEGAN-L LIST

      This list is for discussion of vegetarianism.  Includes ethical
      aspects of vegetarianism.
      To join, please send mail to [email-masked] with the
      following in the message (no subject line required):

        subscribe vegan-l <Full name>

* Fatfree list recipes by mail

------- CUT HERE --------

% Mail [email-masked]     <Leave the subject blank>

<The following should be in the Message body>

REPLY your-address@your-machine    <- If you need to supply one..
FTP OPEN ftp.halcyon.com           <- Anonymous ftp 
CWD /pub/recipes/tofu              <- Change directory to tofu
DIR                                <- List the files in the directory tofu
CWD /pub/recipes/general           <- Change directory to general
GET applesauce                     <- Get the file applesauce
QUIT                               <- Quit anonymous ftp session
END                                <- To avoid mailserver handling signatures

Here is the directory listing for /pub/recipes:
drwxr-xr-x  2 root     235          2048 Mar 10 08:10 breads
drwxr-xr-x  2 root     235          1024 Mar 10 08:15 breakfast
drwxr-xr-x  2 root     235          3072 Mar 10 08:14 condiments
drwxr-xr-x  2 root     235          3072 Mar 13 08:09 desserts
drwxr-xr-x  2 root     235           512 Mar 10 08:15 dips
drwxr-xr-x  2 root     235         10752 Mar 13 08:09 general
drwxr-xr-x  2 root     235          1024 Mar 10 08:14 indian
drwxr-xr-x  2 root     235          1536 Mar 10 08:10 salads
drwxr-xr-x  2 root     235          1024 Mar 13 08:09 sauces
drwxr-xr-x  2 root     235          3072 Mar 13 08:09 soups
drwxr-xr-x  2 root     235           512 Feb 20 08:06 tofu

Thus you can say 

CWD /pub/recipes/salads
CWD /pub/recipes/soups

etc...

For an exhaustive list of commands, send "HELP" in the message to
[email-masked].  If the requested file or directory listing 
is beyond a specific limit (no idea what it is) the mail server queues up 
the article and sends it at a later time based on server load. All 
requests are sent out in the (compressed and) UUENCODEd format by 
default. If you can handle btoa, use:

ENCODING btoa

I don't think you can request files to be sent in ascii.

------- END HERE --------

Acknowledgements:
alt.food.fat-free FAQ.
rec.food.recipes weekly informational postings.

Sridhar.
-- 
Sridhar Venkataraman   ASU, Tempe, Arizona USA   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 1994 21:56:04 GMT

> know of any mailing lists (bitnet or otherwise) that are somewhat like 

If you like it health-oriented, Michelle Dick ([email-masked], I think,
but look for her posts to cross check her address) has a big one.
If you like it ethic-oriented, Michael Traub (find his email in rec.food.veg)
has another one.

G.B.

---

From: [email-masked] (Barbara Zimmerman)
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 1994 21:56:13 GMT

: -- 
: Michael Edson
: [email-masked]

Hello Michael,

There are several groups. The one I would recommend to start with would 
be fatfree.  The way to get on the group is as follows:

E mail to:  [email-masked]

For the subject:  subscribe

Be sure to observe the word 'request' since if you don't put it on, the 
message goes to 1300 angry members.

Good luck.

[email-masked]
-- 
Barbara Zimmerman                    Cotati in Northern California
   Worry is not preparation         Veggies, not violence
        How you do anything is how you do everything