Subject: VLF: Crispy Baked Onion Rings

From: [email-masked] (Thomas P Collins)
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 1994 14:29:35 GMT

This recipe was in the October 1993 issue of _Southern Living_ magazine.
I cut the recipe in half and added some cayenne pepper when I made this.
These taste like those sinful *deep-fried* rings you may remember, but
with hardly any fat.

Crispy Baked Onion Rings

2  large sweet onions
1  (7-ounce) package corn flakes cereal, crushed
1  teaspoon seasoned salt
2  teaspoons sugar
1  teaspoon paprika
1  cup egg substitute (or 3 egg whites)
Vegetable cooking spray

   Cut each onion into 4 thick slices; separate into rings, reserving small
rings for other uses.  Set aside.
   Combine cereal and next 3 ingredients; divide in half, and set aside.
   Beat egg substitute at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks
form.  Dip half of onion rings in egg substitute; dredge in half of crumb
mixture.  Place in a single layer on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
Repeat procedure with remaining onion rings and crumb mixture.  Bake at 375
degrees for 15 minutes or until crisp; serve warm.  Yield: 4 servings (254
calories [2% from fat] per serving).
   10.8g protein, 0.5g fat (0.1g saturated), 50.6g carbohydrate, 2.2g fiber,
0mg cholesterol, 1,178mg sodium, and 39mg calcium.

-Tom Collins

---

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Prince)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 1994 17:29:50 GMT

In VLF:Crispy Baked Onion Rings Thomas Collins talks about using cooking spray. This must be common in the States but in UK it is new. What is it, and what did you do before cooking spray. Can I liberally dunk stuff in olive oil instead ?

Daniel

---

From: [email-masked] (Sharen A. Rund)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 1994 21:42:55 GMT

Daniel Prince ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In VLF:Crispy Baked Onion Rings Thomas Collins talks about using cooking spray. This must be common in the States but in UK it is new. What is it, and what did you do before cooking spray. Can I liberally dunk stuff in olive oil instead ?

: Daniel

one of the brand names this goes by is PAM

what it basically does is allows one to cook without fat and without
food sticking to the pan one's cooking in

if this type of spray is not available, I'd probably lightly grease the
pan then continue with the recipe

my sister puts oil in a bottle with a spray attachment so she can spray
oil on a pan & not get her fingers greasy

liberally dunking the onions in oil voids out the reason for this
particular recipe, e.g., low fat, but there's no reason I can think
of that you can't toss the rings in a bit of oil then roll them in
the coating, then bake

--
____________    __      ____________  "They that can give up essential
\_____     /   /_ \     \     _____/  liberty to obtain a little
 \_____    \____/  \____/    _____/  temporary safety deserve
  \_____                    _____/  neither liberty nor safety."
     \___________  ___________/          --Benjamin Franklin
               /    \           ALL disclaimers apply ....
               ~~~~~~

---

From: [email-masked] (Barbara Zimmerman)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 1994 14:34:31 GMT

: Daniel

Dear Daniel,

You can make your own cooking spray.  Take a spray bottle and put in 
about 1 cup of gin and a couple of tablespoons of lecithin.
When the spray hits the hot pan, the gin will dissolve and the lecithin 
will coat the pan.

Barbara
-- 
Barbara Zimmerman                    Cotati in Northern California
   Worry is not preparation         Veggies, not violence
        How you do anything is how you do everything

---

From: [email-masked] (Emily Breed)
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 1994 00:57:21 GMT

>When the spray hits the hot pan, the gin will dissolve and the lecithin 

Hmm - wouldn't it be better to use a less flavorful alcohol, like vodka?  
I can imagine somebody wondering why their omelette (or onion rings, or 
what have you) had that juniper flavor...  :-)

Emily Breed                                                  [email-masked]
            If it doesn't make you sweat, it's not real food.

---

From: [email-masked] (Barbara Zimmerman)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 1994 14:42:14 GMT

Emily Breed ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>, Barbara Zimmerman <[email-masked]> wrote:
: >You can make your own cooking spray.  Take a spray bottle and put in 
: >about 1 cup of gin and a couple of tablespoons of lecithin.
: >When the spray hits the hot pan, the gin will dissolve and the lecithin 
: >will coat the pan.

: Hmm - wouldn't it be better to use a less flavorful alcohol, like vodka?  
: I can imagine somebody wondering why their omelette (or onion rings, or 
: what have you) had that juniper flavor...  :-)

: Emily Breed                                                  [email-masked]

My directions are fairly general.  No matter what I would have said to 
use, it would have been the wrong substance.  Just use plain alcohol.  
Whatever.  Point is, the alcohol dissolves and the lecithin coats.

---

From: [email-masked] (Tom Swiss)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 1994 17:56:55 GMT

>When the spray hits the hot pan, the gin will dissolve and the lecithin 

     Gin might tend to leave its own taste in the pan. Soemthing with less
of its own taste - like vodka or pure grain alcohol - might be a better
choice (unless, of course, you like the taste of gin in whatever you're
cooking).

===============================================================================
Tom Swiss/[email-masked]   |  "Born to die."   |   Keep your laws off my brain!
     "What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?" - Nick Lowe 
             Now at [email-masked]; same opinions, new address.
"You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit 
 and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car." -- Harvey Diamond

---

From: [email-masked] (Karyn Saemi Kim)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 14:18:31 GMT

what is lecithin ??

Lecithin is a lipid called phosphatidylcholine found in both plants and 
animals, it's a major lipid in both plant and animal cellular membranes.
[Marty B. Co-Moderator for r.f.v.c.]

---

From: [email-masked] (Barbara Zimmerman)
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 1994 21:56:07 GMT

Tom Swiss ([email-masked]) wrote:
: [email-masked] (Barbara Zimmerman) writes:
: >
: >You can make your own cooking spray.  Take a spray bottle and put in 
: >about 1 cup of gin and a couple of tablespoons of lecithin.
: >When the spray hits the hot pan, the gin will dissolve and the lecithin 
: >will coat the pan.

:      Gin might tend to leave its own taste in the pan. Soemthing with less
: of its own taste - like vodka or pure grain alcohol - might be a better
: choice (unless, of course, you like the taste of gin in whatever you're
: cooking).

The gin dissolves which is the whole point.  I have never tasted it 
afterwards.  I use it because it is cheap and does not have any taste left.

Try it.

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Newcomb)
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 1994 23:17:13 GMT

[email-masked] (Barbara Zimmerman) writes

->My directions are fairly general.  No matter what I would have said to 
->use, it would have been the wrong substance.  Just use plain alcohol.  
->Whatever.  Point is, the alcohol dissolves and the lecithin coats.

The alcohol doesn't dissolve; it evaporates. 

Otherwise this is essentialy workable. Many of the commercial sprays
have a bit of oil in them as well as lecithin. 

--
Bill Newcomb       I ask you what to say/ with our eyes and our antennae
[email-masked]                                 -The hon. rev. Fred Lane

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 1994 21:44:39 GMT

Sorry if this has been asked already, but....

Why would using a homemade spray made of gin and lecithan be better than
buying some commercial spray?

I don't use it all that often, but I find the commercial brand pretty
easy to use rather than mixing up yet another thing.  ( My refrigerator
is full of bottles of things that are made by me)

Thanks,
--Lea Talley

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Prince)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 1994 18:17:19 GMT

Hello,

Does anyone have any recipies for dishes for one person ? I once came across a Delia Smith book full of some really good looking stuff, alas it is not on the selves now. I am always looking for new things to make and although company is usually preferable

Hungry Daniel

---

From: [email-masked] (Mary-Anne Wise)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 1994 20:19:42 GMT

>Does anyone have any recipies for dishes for one person ? I once came across a Delia Smith book full of some really good looking stuff, alas it is not on the selves now. I am always looking for new…

I found a really good cookbook for one person.  It is called The
Single Vegan and is written by Leah Leneman.  It is divided by season
to take advantage of current produce and even has shopping lists.

Enjoy