Subject: More on rice

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Mar 94 18:58:31 GMT

I am supprised that no one else has said it, but my favorite way to cook
rice is to pressure cook it.  It's quick (<30 min) and it gives the rice a 
slightly different texture than steaming, I find it a bit more tender
and plumper.

Anyone else out there use a pressure cooker?  It's super for soups and 
sauces as well.  Anybody have any good recipes for pressure cookers?

Peter S. Schnittman
Visual Perception Lab
University of Arizona

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Sloane)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 04:37:33 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes...
>rice is to pressure cook it.  It's quick (<30 min) and it gives the rice a
                                           ^^^^^^^^ 
>sauces as well.  Anybody have any good recipes for pressure cookers?

I don't quite get it--our Coop bought long-grain brown rice cooks in 20-25
minutes in a regular saucepan--we use 2:1 water to rice, get water to 
boiling, add rice, and cook (no peeking!).  For a bit of a different taste
we add some buckwheat grain in with the rice.  This is taking nothing away
from pressure cooking; I don't use a pressure cooker on rice because every
incidence of the valve getting jammed in my observation involved cooking some
rice.  I use the PC to cook lots of other stuff, tho, especially beans.

Rick

---

From: [email-masked] (Larry London)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 15:53:52 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> 
[email-masked] (Richard Sloane) writes:

>For a bit of a different taste we add some buckwheat grain in with the rice.  

Other grains that can be cooked with rice successfully for added 
flavor and nutrition:

1) corn germ (Fearn brand, vacu-packed) 
2) rolled barley (micro-flaked) available from Oriental groceries

add these ingredients about halfway through the cooking process, make 
sure there's enough water in the pot - at finish the grains will still be 
well-separated 

[email-masked]
-
Question:

Anyone know anything about cooking amaranth and quinoa alone or with 
other ingredients (not necessarily grains)? 
-

---

From: [email-masked] (Sanjay Bhatia)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 15:53:58 GMT

>>slightly different texture than steaming, I find it a bit more tender

hi everyone,
	the way that we (my roomie and myself) cook this rice that the
is the closest thing to basmati rice we find in this small time Grand
Rapids MI, is to steam it.  takes  < 15 mins.  and it works out great.

btw, we find that Thai rice (which, again, is very close to basmati)
is almost as expensive/cheap as the American rice that we can get at
the grocery (sp?).  so if any of you are looking for basmati and find
it tooo expensive (like us) or cant find it at all, hit the nearest
oriental food store near you.  good luck. 
--
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
        	      WIDE AWAKE IN AMERICA ...
Sanjay Bhatia	     		|   Calvin College Computer Center
(616) 245-2636			|   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Sloane)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 04:37:33 GMT

^^^^^^^^ 

Rick

---

From: [email-masked] (Larry London)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 15:53:52 GMT

[email-masked]
-
Question:

---

From: [email-masked] (Sanjay Bhatia)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 15:53:58 GMT

hi everyone,

---

From: [email-masked] (lande santos da silva)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 1994 17:29:59 GMT

In article [email-masked], [email-masked] writes:
> Peter S. 

Hi Peter

I never really tried to cook rice on a pressure cooker, it sounds interesting and I'm sure I'll try that. I use a pressure cooker only for cooking beans. I Brazil (where I come from) every household has a pressure cooker, as the Brazilians eat black beans

Lande da Silva
Institute of elektronic systems
University of Aalborg, Denmark.

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Turner)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 1994 19:19:07 GMT

I also use a pressure cooker for beans.  But I find it equally helpful 
for quick cooking of potatoes.

-- 
**************************************************************************
Mike Turner              |             Internet: [email-masked]
Graphic Smarts           |               Compuserve: 71344,3076
Raleigh, NC, USA         |      Voice: 919-233-9000    Fax: 919-233-9009
**************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Hume)
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 1994 14:12:31 GMT

I use a pressure cooker for things that take a long cooking time such as beans.
A simple rule I use is pressure cooking takes 1/3 the time of conventional
cooking.

Tim Hume