Subject: COOKBOOK INFO REQUEST: Contemporary French Vegetarian Cooking

From: [email-masked] (Atri Indiresan)
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 1994 03:09:21 GMT

I have an advertising blurb in front of me (from a mail order house)
for

THIS GOOD FOOD: Contemporary French Vegetarian Cooking
Recipes from a Monastery Kitchen
by Brother Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette

The blurb says in part: "... 150 healthy, wholesome recipes
... autumn's Fillets of Sole Alsatian ..."

Sounds a bit fishy too me ... Am I right in assuming that Sole is a
kind of fish, or are there vegetarian interpretations for the word?

Is anyone familiar with this cookbook? How good it it? Would at least
most of the recipes be quite vegetarian? Any other cookbook
recommendations for good and simple French vegetarian cooking?

Thanks in advance,

Atri

---

From: [email-masked] (John Henry Kieschnick)
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 1994 20:23:00 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>recommendations for good and simple French vegetarian cooking?

I have a 1976 version of this book, given to me as a gift. The
version I have has wonderful illustrations and hundreds of 
quotations about cooking and vegetarianism. I also like the
way the book is divided according to seasons. That being said,
I never use the book. It does have fish recipes. The non-fish 
recipes tend to be heavy on the cheese, milk and butter, and
not particularly French. There must be something better for 
French vegetarian cooking.

-- 
John Kieschnick (Dept of Asian Languages, Stanford U.) 
"When I was in school, if you knew German, you never graduated. You
just spent your life knowing German. Nowadays I think that happens
with Chinese." -- Umberto Eco   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (N J Doye)
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 1994 20:23:06 GMT

>From [email-masked] (Atri Indiresan):

Well, in the UK, an Alsatian is another word for a German Shepard dog, so
Fillets of Sole Alsatian = Fillets taken from a single German Shepard dog. :)

Seriously, some so-called veggie cookbooks are demi-veg. or non-strict-veg.
I even have a "vegan" cookbook which has recipies with honey in...

As far as I know Sole is always a fish.
nic.