Subject: RE: cooking Oat Groats

From: [email-masked] (Judith S. Janette)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 21:50:20 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Ron  
Steriti) writes:
> 
> I've been looking for breakfast foods and picked up
> some Oat Groats from the natural foodstore
> but i'm not sure how to cook it,
> The store owner said to Soak overnight
> and Cook w/ water
> It still is a bit crunchy, some questions:
> 
> How long do you cook it?
> How much water & oats for 1 serving?
> Does it eventually get real creamy?
> 
> (i think i'm not cooking long enough or adding enough H2O)
> 

My Irish mother in law used to eat this stuff a lot. Back in Ireland, her  
mom let it cook all night with "more water than you'd usually use" (sorry,  
no more technical info was given...). My kids and I like it crunchy, so we  
just cook it for an hour or so with a water to oats ratio of 2.5:1, and I  
add more water if necessary. For one serving, try usung about 1/4 cup dry  
oats and 2/3 cup water. Also, you might try just soaking the oats for a  
few hours to overnight before you cook them. Let me know if this works-  
I've never tried it.

I personally don't recommend cooking the stuff overnight. It may be a bit  
tough to explain to the firemen that they're there because you like your  
oats creamy...

-Judi

--

Judi Janette	[email-masked]