Subject: VLF: Crispy Baked Onion Rings

From: [email-masked] (Thomas P Collins)
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 1994 14:29:35 GMT

This recipe was in the October 1993 issue of _Southern Living_ magazine.
I cut the recipe in half and added some cayenne pepper when I made this.
These taste like those sinful *deep-fried* rings you may remember, but
with hardly any fat.

Crispy Baked Onion Rings

2  large sweet onions
1  (7-ounce) package corn flakes cereal, crushed
1  teaspoon seasoned salt
2  teaspoons sugar
1  teaspoon paprika
1  cup egg substitute (or 3 egg whites)
Vegetable cooking spray

   Cut each onion into 4 thick slices; separate into rings, reserving small
rings for other uses.  Set aside.
   Combine cereal and next 3 ingredients; divide in half, and set aside.
   Beat egg substitute at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks
form.  Dip half of onion rings in egg substitute; dredge in half of crumb
mixture.  Place in a single layer on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
Repeat procedure with remaining onion rings and crumb mixture.  Bake at 375
degrees for 15 minutes or until crisp; serve warm.  Yield: 4 servings (254
calories [2% from fat] per serving).
   10.8g protein, 0.5g fat (0.1g saturated), 50.6g carbohydrate, 2.2g fiber,
0mg cholesterol, 1,178mg sodium, and 39mg calcium.

-Tom Collins