Subject: REQUEST: savory roasted potatoes

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Wutzke)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 18:44:59 GMT

While about 98% vegetarian now (and no red meat), I fondly
remember the roasted potatoes that my grandmother would
serve, the potatoes having baked in a slow oven while 
surronding a beef roast.

Anyone have any recipies to get the same sort of savory
flavor without using a hunk of cow as the centerpiece? I
tried baking some potatoes in a cassarole dish with a bottle
of dark ale poured over them; this worked to some degree, 
but I think could be better.

Thanks

Jeff Wutzke
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (cyd)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 20:22:30 GMT

> flavor without using a hunk of cow as the centerpiece? I

peel as many potatoes as you want to eat and put in a baking dish. add
unpeeled sections of garlic and and unpeeled but quartered or halved onion
(add more or less garlic and onion depending on your personal preference).
coat potatoes, garlic and onion pieces with olive oil. bake uncovered at
400 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour (depending on what size potatoes you
use. you get delicious roasted potatoes plus roasted garlic and onion.

---

From: [email-masked] (Sharen A. Rund)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 1994 05:17:18 GMT

Jeff Wutzke ([email-masked]) wrote:

: While about 98% vegetarian now (and no red meat), I fondly
: remember the roasted potatoes that my grandmother would
: serve, the potatoes having baked in a slow oven while 
: surronding a beef roast.

: Anyone have any recipies to get the same sort of savory
: flavor without using a hunk of cow as the centerpiece? I
: tried baking some potatoes in a cassarole dish with a bottle
: of dark ale poured over them; this worked to some degree, 
: but I think could be better.

if you don't mind beef boullion put a cube in roaster with some water
add the potatoes....

also, I always add soy sauce, worchestershire, black pepper, garlic &
celery seed - sprinkling liberally over the meat while it's browning
before the slow cooking starts - these same 'extras' could be added
to your broth - and, if you have an aversion to beef broth there are
other broth cubes available, like onion & veggie flavored - check the
packets of dried soup stock (like a veggie one) and use this as the
base for your broth - besides the potatoes, add some onions, carrots,
green peppers, turnips/rutabegas to the broth

--
____________    __      ____________  "They that can give up essential
\_____     /   /_ \     \     _____/  liberty to obtain a little
 \_____    \____/  \____/    _____/  temporary safety deserve
  \_____                    _____/  neither liberty nor safety."
     \___________  ___________/          --Benjamin Franklin
               /    \           ALL disclaimers apply ....
               ~~~~~~

---

From: [email-masked] (cyd)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 20:22:30 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Sharen A. Rund)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 1994 05:17:18 GMT