Subject: VEGAN: Quinotto

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 1994 23:27:03 GMT

I like less and less to fix meat-like dishes when people come to my place
(usually some braised or teryiaki tofu), I would rather serve them something
close to what I usually eat. Unfortunately most people see whole grains as
bird feed.

Well, it turns out that, after several tries, we have found a classic italian
dish, risotto, to be better or much better with whole grains. That is better
than the original. Both of us being from Northern italy, we feel like we are
qualified to judge. We also found - believe it or not - that the veg superfood,
nutritional yeast, is sublime on risotto and variations thereof.

The reason why whole grains are better is that they take the cooking,
take the flavor, but stay neatly separated and crunchy. Risotto should
be made with poorest quality rice, which is poor in starch and does not 
make glue over the 40 mins. cooking.

The best for flavor are quinoa and brown rice, however the least time
consuming are quinoa and millet. Hence the name quinotto. If you have
some time at your hands, brownotto is really my favorite (brown rice).
If you really have a long lonng time, try kamotto (kamut). Recipe follows.

1 cup/person of grains
2.5 cups/person vegetable stock
some oil or margarine at your discretion
1 onion
1 tbsp./person nutritional yeast
1 glass of wine (optional)
veg. of choice (list follows)
parsley (optional)
salt-pepper as needed

Wash grains. Optional: toast grains in a skillet until they start popping
or browning. This gives a rich, nutty flavor to the dish. Toast after washing.

Mince onion. Put oil in heavy pot, saute' onion until golden. Add veg. of
choice. Use low heat throughout.

Veg. of choice: the best is traditionally mushrooms, however, asparagus
tips, artichoke hearts, radicchio are fine choices. If you use asparagus,
save half the tips for the last 3 mins, for the rest will melt away.
Mushroom should be cut in 0.4X0.4X0.8 inches pieces. Same for the others.

Saute' veg till limp. Add grains, and keep turning, till all juices, oil
have been absorbed. Start a pot nearby with the stock. Add a glass of wine
if desired. Keep turning till absorbed. When liquid is low, add a ladle of
by-now hot stock. Keep turning for 20 mins (quinoa), 30 mins (millet),
50 mins (brown rice), until cooked. The two important things are: always
add hot stock, and only add it when all of the previous stuff has been
absorbed. You will have to stir often or it will stick to the bottom.
Sprinkle with nutritional yeast and minced parsley (optional), 
mix, serve hot.