Subject: Re: TOFU: Will it keep?

From: [email-masked] (Philippa Hogben)
Date: 4 Mar 94 18:58:40 GMT

In article [email-masked], [email-masked] (Teik Oh) writes:
>[email-masked] (Philippa Hogben) writes:
>
>>had for some time". One of them has a best before date of 16th October
>>(no year), the other has had the flap with the best before date
>>removed. Are these safe to eat, i.e. does the "16th October" refer to
>>this year (will it keep for another 6 months?!!) or last year (so it's
>>been lurking in the fridge for that long). Both packets _look_ O.K. but
>>I haven't yet opened them so I can't tell what they smell like.
>
>>I am reluctant to throw them away if they are edible but I would rather
>>not kill myself in the process. Many thanks to anybody who can solve my
>>dilemma.
>

>However, the hermetically sealed types are designed for out of fridge
>storage for many months (you know - in that coated paper stuff).
>

They are both packed in liquid in those sealed plactic "bags" - fairly
thick plastic sheeting which looks as if the edges have been "melted"
together - I don't know if this description helps.

I'm not quite sure whether I am getting all the messages posted on this
group at the moment. I certainly didn't see the original message I
posted. Having said that, thanks to all who have made comments.

Philippa

---
Philippa Hogben   [email-masked]  (Reverse if mailing from Janet)
Any mistakes are mine, all mnie.

I am not a .sig virus. I am a free bug.

---

From: [email-masked] (Philippa Hogben)
Date: 4 Mar 94 18:58:40 GMT

Philippa

---

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Lu)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 1994 14:34:43 GMT

Philippia:

    I'm Chinese, so I eat a lot of tofu almost once a week.  I use to 
buy the kink that's in water and seal in the plastic container, but they 
don't last very long plus they don't tast fresh.  Now I'm using the 
Japanese brand call MORI-NU it's sealed in a thick paper package not very 
big.  There are two types a tender kind and harden kind you can choose 
the kinds that you like.  I have use them for almost a year now and I 
would recommand this brand.  They can last from a month to two months and 
still tast veryyyyyyy fresh.  So try them, you could get they in any 
Oriental supermarkets around your area, it's very popular in all those 
super markets.  

Richard.....e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Cerebus)
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 1994 19:19:26 GMT

>Oriental supermarkets around your area, it's very popular in all those 

I second this.  We just tried this brand and were *very* impressed, plus it has
the benefits of a longer shelf life and does not require draining (although a
quick press never hurts), and the silken tofu is terrific.  Does anyone
else have a favorite brand of tofu?

I have to admit, my favorite name is the one that is sold at our local 
supermarket - I don't recall the brand, but the type is called "Country french
style" tofu.  Since when is the French countryside littered with tofu-ryori?

--Sharon Astyk