Subject: LACTO: Gulab Jamun

From: Sharon Curtis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 1994 16:45:37 GMT

I've tried these in rum syrup as well as rose syrup and these are
delicious! They sort of squelch when you bite into them.
I also used sunflower oil for frying, instead of ghee, and they
turned out fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

                GULAB JAMUN

(cake-like fried milk balls in scented syrup)

The dough for this dish takes only minutes to assemble, but the
balls must be fried very slowly under carefully controlled temperatures.
Some recipes increase the flour content in order to minimize the
importance of the heat regulation; but the less flour there is in the
dough, the better the quality of the gulab jamun. If the balls are
browned too quickly or not fried long enough, they tend to collapse
in the sugar syrup. Because the balls must be constantly agitated while
they fry, unplug the phone, pull up a stool and put on your favourite
record.
Gulab jamuns are good sweets for festive moments, such as holidays and
entertaining. They may be served warm or at room temperature.

Preparation and cooking time (after assembling ingredients): ~45mins

   Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups (600ml) water
2 1/4 cups (480g) sugar
1 tbsp (15ml) rose water or 1/2 tsp (2ml) rose essence
ghee for deep frying
2 cups (195g) instant nonfat dried milk powder
1 1/2 tbsp (22ml) self-raising flour
1/2 cup warm milk, or as needed
1 tsp (5ml) ghee or unsalted butter

   Method:

  Combine the water and sugar in a 3 quart/litre pan over moderate heat
and stir constantly until the sugar is dissolved. Raise the heat to
high, and boil for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, stir
in the rose water or essence, and set aside.
  Pour ghee to a depth of 2 1/2 - 3 inches in any deep-frying vessel
at least 10" in diameter. (A bowl-shaped karai or wok makes the best use
of the frying medium.) Place over very low heat while making your dough.
  Brush a plate with a film of oil. Place the milk powder and flour on
a sheet of waxed paper or in a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Combine the
warm milk and 1 tsp ghee or butter in a large mixing bowl. While
sprinkling in the dry mixture with one hand, stir with your other hand
to quickly mix into a pliable dough. Working quickly, wash and dry your
hands and rub them with a film of oil, Divide the dough into 24 portions
and, exerting gentle pressure, roll each portion between your palms into
a smooth ball. Place the balls on a plate.
  Raise the heat to moderately low and when the ghee reaches 215F/102C,
slip in the balls, one by one. They will sink to the bottom of the pan,
but do not try to move them. Instead, gently shake the pan to keep the
balls from browning on just one side. After about 5mins, the balls will
rise to the surface. Now they must be gently and constantly agitated
with a wooden spoon to ensure even browning. After 5mins, the temperature
should increase to 220F/104C; after 10mins, to 225F/107C; after 15mins,
to 230F/110C. After 25 mins, the balls should be golden brown and the
temperature between 245F-250F/118C-121C.
  Remove one ball and slip it into the syrup. If it does not collapse
within 3 mins, add the remaining balls. Otherwise, fry the balls for about
5mins more. The balls should soak in the syrup for at least 2 hours before
serving, and may be stored, well sealed and refridgerated, for up to 4 days.
Return to room temperature or warm before serving.

Makes 24