Subject: help, allergic to beans!!!!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 19:11:35 GMT

I really would like to start to eat more vegetarian stuff but there is a
problem, I am allergic to beans.  It is hard to get enough protein without
having to eat a jar of peanut butter a week.  Does anyone have any ideas
or suggestions?
thanks in advance
Lynn 
S3400053

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Cote Gibson)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 21:38:09 GMT

Okay, so I'm a sheltered American, but the best I can figger is that "ghee" is margarine or oleo or some sort of butter helper and a "knob" is some sort of unit of measurement, maybe close to a Tablespoon?  Someone please clarify.

TUx10E6

Stephen

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994 14:31:03 GMT

>having to eat a jar of peanut butter a week.  Does anyone have any ideas

No problem:
tofu, obviously
seitan, really good, play with it, experiment with it
quinoa, a good high protein grain
can you eat peas? rice and peas go together nicely
there is a good fatfree *hot dog* available now
soy yogurt or regular dairy fatfree yogurt if you do dairy

We really don't need nearly as much protein as our mothers would have us believe.
Jan

---

From: [email-masked] (Judy Karpen)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994 14:31:21 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Stephen Cote

> Okay, so I'm a sheltered American, but the best I can figger is that "ghee" is margarine or oleo or some sort of butter helper and a "knob" is some sort of unit of measurement, maybe close to a Tab…

Ghee is Indian-style clarified butter (i.e., with the milk solids removed
and a nice nutty flavor added in the process). You can make it yourself
(look in Julie Sahni's books) or buy it at Indian groceries for outrageous
prices ;^> . Can use oil or margarine as a vegan substitute but the taste
will not be the same.  Your guess about a "knob" is the same as mine. In
recipes calling for ghee i mainly use oil with a bit of ghee for flavoring,
and i always use ALOT less than the recipe calls for, so it may not be that
important to get the exact equivalent of a knob..... Hope this helps!

-- 
Judy Karpen                        "pushing back the frontiers of
science...."
[email-masked]          Code 7675K, NRL, Washington DC
20375-5352

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Mendosa)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994 14:31:35 GMT

> Okay, so I'm a sheltered American, but the best I can figger is that "ghee" is margarine or oleo or some sort of butter helper and a "knob" is some sort of unit of measurement, maybe close to a Tab…

Ghee is clarified butter. To make it you heat the butter and strain it 
through cheese cloth to remove the impurities. This certainly changes the 
taste, for the better for certain Asian dishes. Another reason to make 
ghee is that it doesn't require refrigeration. We used to make it all the 
time when we lived in East Africa and went on safari.

I have no idea what a "knob" of ghee is....Rick

---

From: [email-masked] (David Coburn)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994 14:31:47 GMT

[email-masked] (Stephen Cote Gibson) writes:

>Okay, so I'm a sheltered American, but the best I can figger is that
>"ghee" is margarine or oleo or some sort of butter helper and a "knob" is
>some sort of unit of measurement, maybe close to a Tablespoon?  Someone
>please clarify.

"Ghee" is essentially clarified butter: butter that has been separated from
the remaining milk solids and water.  In other words, pure butter fat.  You
find it most frequently in Persian, Indian and Moraccan dishes.  (And in
the pre-Minimax Graham Kerr cookbooks... ;-)

As far as the definition of a knob, if I saw it I would use 1-2 tbsp.
(I've seen that one somewhere, probably in an historic recipe...)

Cheers,

David

David Coburn                                 [email-masked]
Informix Software, Inc.                    ...uunet!infmx!coburn
=========================================================================
Any opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of Informix 
(or for that matter, anybody else).
=========================================================================

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994 16:47:40 GMT

> We really don't need nearly as much protein as our mothers would have us believe.
 
What is seitan?  I have a similar problem.  A few years ago as I was
slowly starting to introduce tofu into our diet in a move toward a more
vegetarian diet, we found out our son has some food allergies:
  cheese, egg whites, potatos, soy, peanuts, peas, some beans ( and not
  others), corn, oats, etc
We also found out at that time that he should stay away from simple
sugars and stick with complex carbohydrates and protien, etc.  We have
eliminated sugar from our diet but although I have started eating less
and less meat my son and husband still get most of their protien that
way.  Any suggestions?

Also, how do you handle the bitter taste of quinoa?  

Any advice would be appreciated.

-- 

Have fun!

   =-Kathy->                                   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 13:54:32 GMT

>What is seitan?  I have a similar problem.  A few years ago as I was

Seitan is a high protein food made from wheat glutan.  You may
see it called *wheat meat*, or plain seitan, it comes in a tub,
similar to the tofu tub,  I find it frozen or in the deli
section of my HFS.

>Also, how do you handle the bitter taste of quinoa?  

I rinse the quinoa, just put one cup or the desired amount
in the pot, fill with water swish thoroughly, and
pour off all the water I can, I do this several times.
Jan

1>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 13:54:55 GMT

> having to eat a jar of peanut butter a week.  Does anyone have any ideas

Don't eat peanut butter. It is that simple. If you want protein,
rice, quinoa, amaranth, broccoli, teff, spelt, oats, millet, barley,
buckwheat, even potatoes, all have good-to-high quality protein.
Whole wheat does fine, too, as do, surprisingly, many leafy greens
and cruciferous. If the allergy does not extend to
soy products, you can get more proteins from them than you will
ever need - but most often a lot of fat too.

---

From: KG Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 13:55:03 GMT

>tofu, obviously
 ^^^^^
>soy yogurt or regular dairy fatfree yogurt if you do dairy
 ^^^

Several of the items you mentioned are made from soy beans, and thus
would be unacceptable to the original poster. There's all kinds of
rice dishes he could make (risotto, basmati, couscous, etc) for
variety, perhaps with lots of nuts for protein, but if he can't
tolerate soybeans I imagine he'd definitely need to stay away from
tofu.

KG Anderson
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Tanya Osickey)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 13:56:26 GMT

>We really don't need nearly as much protein as our mothers would have us believe.
  Not to be mean here but "soy" is short for "soybean", which means that
  someone allergic to beans would probably also be allergic to tofu, which
  is basically processed soybeans, soy yogurt, soy milk.....

  And no, we don't need a lot of proteins, but it is hard to get the kind
  we do need.

  --Tanya

---

From: [email-masked] (Paula Karen Rickert)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 13:56:39 GMT

>>having to eat a jar of peanut butter a week.  Does anyone have any ideas

Except that it is made from soybeans

Paula

---

From: [email-masked] (Alison Babil)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 13:56:47 GMT

> Any advice would be appreciated.
As for the quinoa, have you tried rinsing it in a mesh strainer, briefly,
before  cooking it?  That might help.  As for other complex carbohydrates,
there are a lot of new  "exotic"  grains available in health foods stores,
which many
allergy-sensitive people can tolerate:  teff, kamut, and amaranth. 
Vegetarian
Times magazine ran an article on them in March, I believe, and many are a
good source of protein.  I have been experimenting with them for the past
couple of years, so I'd be happy to reply to questions about them, or hear
the suggestions and successes of others.
--Alison

---

From: [email-masked] (Elizabeth Schwartz)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 20:04:04 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Paula Karen Rickert) writes:

So is peanut butter. Are you (the original poster) allergic to all beans
or just some?

--
System Administrator                  Internet: [email-masked]
MACS Dept, UMass/Boston               Phone   : 617-287-6448
100 Morrissey Blvd                    Staccato signals
Boston, MA 02125-3393                      of constant information....

---

From: [email-masked] (Mary Shafer)
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 1994 14:31:12 GMT

On Thu, 31 Mar 1994 13:56:26 GMT, [email-masked] (Tanya Osickey) said:

>>I really would like to start to eat more vegetarian stuff but there
>>is a problem, I am allergic to beans.  

>No problem: tofu, [...] soy yogurt

Tanya>   Not to be mean here but "soy" is short for "soybean", which
Tanya> means that someone allergic to beans would probably also be
Tanya> allergic to tofu, which
Tanya>   is basically processed soybeans, soy yogurt, soy milk.....

Not necessarily.

There are three different genera of beans--one European/Middle Eastern,
with fava beans in it; one Far Eastern, with soy beans in it; and
one New World, with all the rest of the beans in it.  Soy and
pinto beans, for example, are not much more closely related than peas
and lentils are.

For example, some people have a genetic condition that makes fava
beans dangerous to them.  These people can eat New World beans and soy
beans quite safely.

Now, the question is, exactly which types of beans is the original
poster allergic to?  Fava?  Soy?  Pinto, navy, lima, kidney, etc?  The
original poster should determine if all of these produce a reaction.
If not, the safe beans are readily available.
--
Mary Shafer                                                   DoD #362 KotFR   
SR-71 Chief Engineer         NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA
[email-masked]                Of course I don't speak for NASA
 "A MiG at your six is better than no MiG at all."  Unknown US fighter pilot

---

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Cross X8663 P5108)
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 1994 01:44:37 GMT

>Any advice would be appreciated.

Quinoa is supposed to have a nice, "nutty" taste, but I find that it doesn't
develop this taste unless roasted.  Try cooking the quinoa kernels in a dry
skillet for 5-10 minutes until they are golden brown, and then cook them the
way you normally would.

---Daniel

---

From: Lu Bozinovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 1994 17:55:50 GMT

>If not, the safe beans are readily available.

I too would like to know more about this.  My SO is allergic to navy
or great northern and to split peas.  I would like to try introducing
these other beans to see if any variation in reactions occur -- but
I've got a stubborn guinea pig :-) on my hands who will only take
so much abuse.
 
He digested some of the desserts I've made in which soymilk or tofu
are minor ingredients, with bloating not being too pronounced.  Peanuts
are okay.  If anyone knows more, please help.
 
Lu B.
<[email-masked]>