Subject: COLLECTION: Indian Vegetarian Recipes - Part 1 (of 2)

From: [email-masked] (Manoj Khiani)
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 1994 09:01:20 GMT

Credits:
The recipes supplied by [email-masked]
(Rajeev Krishnamoorthy), [email-masked] (Subbarao
Kambhampati), and [email-masked] have been marked as
such. The rest are by [email-masked] (Shyamala
Parameswaran). Shyamala Parameswaran collated the recipes
into their final form.

                                     Adai

Ingredients
                   Rice                            1 cup
                   Urad Daal                       1/3 cup
                   Chana Daal                      1/3 cup
                   Yellow Split Peas               1/3 cup
                   Salt                            1 tsp.
                   Red Chili Powder                1 tsp.
                   Onion (opt.)                    1 (large)
                   Carrot (opt.)                   1
                   Coconut - grated (opt.)         1/4 cup
Preparation

 [1] Mix Rice, Chana Daal, Urad Daal, and Yellow Split Peas in
     a large vessel.

     Soak in a lot of water for about 2 hours.

 [2] Grind the soaked mixture with Chili Power and salt coarsely,
     without adding much water.

 [3] Ferment for about 3 - 4 hours, then refrigerate or freeze.  In
     cold weather, the fermenting process might take longer, and
     it might be a good idea to ferment in an oven (the pilot light
     will keep the mixture warm).

 [4] Add either onions (finely cut), carrot (grated) or coconut
     before preparing.

Freezing Notes

     If freezing, only ferment for about an hour.  The mixture will
have to left outside for a while before being ready to use.

                                      ***

                                  Aloo Dam

Ingredients
                      Oil                     3 tbsp.
                      Bay leaf                1
                      Onion                   1
                      Ginger                  1/2 tsp.
                      Garlic                  1/2 tsp.
                      Cumin Seeds             1/2 tsp.
                      Turmeric                1/4 tsp.
                      Chili Powder            1 1/2 tsp.
                      Yogurt                  2/3 tsp.
                      Salt                    1/4 tsp.
                      Coriander powder        2 tsp.
                      Potatoes                1 lb.
                      Tomato                  1
                      Capsicum                1
Preparation

 [1] Heat oil, add bay leaf and onion.  Fry for 3-4 minutes.  Add
     ginger and garlic and fry for another minute.  Add mustard
     and cumin seeds.

 [2] The potatoes should be sliced, and the tomatoes and cap-
     sicum cut up.  Add these, mix well, and cook for 4-5 min-
     utes, continuously stirring.

 [3] Sprinkle with turmeric, coriander and chili powder.

 [4] Beat the yogurt and blend into a smooth mixture.  Add yo-
     gurt and salt.

 [5] Mix gently, cover and cook for about 10 minutes on low
     heat.

                                      ***

                                  Aloo Gobi

Ingredients
                     Cauliflower              1
                     Potatoes                 4
                     Oil                      1/4 cup
                     Cumin seeds              1 tsp.
                     Ginger                   1 in.  stick
                     Garlic                   3 cloves
                     Turmeric                 3/4 tsp.
                     Red Chili Powder         1 tsp.
                     Tomatoes                 3
                     Garam Masala             1 tsp.
                     Coriander powder         2 tsp.
Preparation

 [1] Cut cauliflower into flowerets.  Cube potatoes.

 [2] Heat oil and saute cumin seeds for about a minute.  Add gar-
     lic and ginger, stir and add potatoes.  Bhoona, add turmeric
     and chili powder, and bhoona again.  Add tomatoes and sim-
     mer for about 5 minutes.

 [3] Add cauliflower and high heat for about a minutes.

 [4] Lower heat, cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
     Curry should be damp-dry.

                                      ***

                                    Aviyal

Ingredients
                  Mixed vegs.                       3 cups
                  Coconut (grated)                  1/2 cup
                  Green/Red Chillies                2 - 3
                  More Kozhambhu powder             2 tsp.
                  Yogurt                            2 cups
Preparation

 [1] Boil vegetables for about 5 minutes.

 [2] Add yogurt and powder to vegetables.

 [3] Bring to boil.

                                      ***

                                     Chole
Ingredients
                       Chick Peas               1 tin
                       Onion                    1
                       Ginger                   1 tsp.
                       Garlic                   1 tsp.
                       Tomatoes                 1/2 can
                       Cumin powder             1 tsp.
                       Coriander powder         1 tsp.
                       Chili powder             1 tsp.
                       Tancom                   1/2 tsp.
                       Garam Masala             1 tsp.
                       Coriander Leaves         bunch
Preparation

 [1] Saute onions, add garlic and ginger.  Fry for about 5 min-
     utes.

 [2] Add tomatoes, and continue frying.

 [3] Add cumin, coriander and chili powders, and some salt.  Fry
     for another 5 minutes.

 [4] Add chick peas, boil for a few mintues.

 [5] Add garam masala, let mixture simmer.

 [6] Separately, boil tamcon in water until it dissolves.  Add this
     to main mixture.

 [7] Remove from stove.  Serve garnished with coriander leaves
     and lemon slices.

                                      ***

                             Coconut Chutney

Ingredients
                    Coconut (grated)         1 cup
                    Dalia/Chana Daal         2 tsp.
                    Green Chili              2 - 3
                    Ginger                   1 inch (???)
                    Coriander Leaves         (???)
                    Hing                     1/4 tsp.
                    Lemon Juice              to taste
                    Salt                     to taste
Preparation
 [1] Fry Chana Daal/Dalia (if used).

 [2] Grind all ingredients and mix.

 [3] It's also possible to use yogurt, in which case the Lemon
     juice may be left out.  Or used.  Anything goes, apparently.

                                      ***

                              Zucchini chutney

Ingredients
                          Zucchini            2-3
                          Onions              1
                          Hing                1/2 tsp.
                          Tamcon              1/2 tsp.
                          Green chillies      2-3
Preparation

 [1] Fry cut zucchini, onions, and green chillies.

 [2] Add turmeric, salt, cook on low flame for 5 - 10 minutes.

 [3] Boil tamcon, add to mix above.

 [4] Pulverize the whole thing in blender.

 [5] Seasoning:    Thalshi Kottify with mustar seeds, urad daal.

                                      ***

                            Beans/Potato Curry

Ingredients
                         Oil                  2 tbsp.
                         Mustard seeds        1 tsp.
                         Urad Daal            1 tsp.
                         Vegs.                3 cups
                         Salt                 to taste
                         Turmeric             pinch
Preparation

 [1] Heat oil, mustard seeds, and Urad Daal.  Roast for a few sec-
     onds.

 [2] Add vegetables.  Sprinkle salt and turmeric.  Cook on high
     heat for a couple of minutes.
 [3] Add coriander powder, chili powder, and cumin powder,
     (and ginger and garlic if you wish) cover and cook on low
     until done.

 [4] For making the potatoes more crisp, add rice powder (arshi
     maav) and stir it in.

                                      ***

                               Cabbage Curry

Ingredients
                     Oil                 2 tbsp.
                     Mustard seeds       1 tsp.
                     Urad Daal           1 tsp.
                     Cumin seeds         1 tsp.
                     Green Chili         1
                     Mixed vegs.         1 cup
                     Cabbage             1 medium size
                     Salt                to taste
                     Turmeric            pinch
Preparation

 [1] Heat oil, mustard seeds, Urad Daal, cumin seeds, and green
     chili.  Roast for a few seconds.

 [2] Add mixed vegs.  and cabbage.  Sprinkle salt and turmeric.
     Cook on high heat for a couple of minutes, then cover and
     cook on low until done.

                                      ***

                                     Daal

Ingredients
                       Masoor Daal              1 cup
                       Tomato                   1
                       Onion                    1
                       Red Chillies             2
                       Turmeric                 pinch
                       Salt                     to taste
                       Bay Leaf                 2-3
                       Coriander powder         1/2 tsp.
                       Chili powder             1/4 tsp.
Preparation
 [1] Cook Daal in 3 cups water.  Bring to boil and remove foam.

 [2] Add bay leaves, turmeric, and a few drops of oil, and con-
     tinue to boil.

 [3] Mash mixture.

 [4] Add tomato and salt, and heat for a couple of minutes more.

 [5] Fry onion, red chillies, coriander and chili powders, and add
     to daal.

                                      ***

                                     Dosai

Ingredients
                          Rice           1 1/2 cups
                          Urad Daal      1/2 cup
                          Salt           2 tsp.
Preparation

 [1] Soak the rice and daal separately in slightly warm water for
     2 - 8 hours.

 [2] Grind separately to a smooth paste and mix in a large vessel
     with salt.  Mix thoroughly (use blender if possible).

 [3] Ferment for 12 hours.

                                      ***

                                 Gajar Halva

Ingredients
                          Carrots            1 lb.
                          Half and Half      1 pint
                          Sugar              1_2cup
                          Cardamom           3-4
                          Raisins            handful
                          Cashew nuts        handful
Preparation

 [1] Add a little butter to a frying pan and heat to coat the pan.
     Roast cashew nuts until golden brown and add the raisins to
     the pan for a few seconds.  Remove the cashews and raisins
     and keep aside.
 [2] Grate the carrots and add to the pan.  Add Half and Half,
     and heat for about an hour, starting with high heat, stirring,
     and lowering the heat after the mixture starts boiling.  Heat
     until almost dry.

 [3] Add sugar, mix, and continue to cook until damp/dry.

 [4] Remove from stove and add cashews and raisins and car-
     damoms.

                                      ***

                               Garam Masala

Ingredients
               Cinnamon Sticks                 5 (3 in.)  sticks
               cardamom pods                   1 cup
               cumin seeds                     1/2 cup
               black pepper                    1/2 cup
               cloves                          1/2 cup
               coriander seeds                 1/2 cup
               Coconut - grated (opt.)         1/4 cup
Preparation

     Dry the ingredients in an oven.  Do not let them turn brown.
Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods.  Pound cinnamon
stick into smaller size.  Combine ingredients until they are well
mixed and blend at high speed for 2 or 3 mins.  till completely
pulverized

                                      ***

                                    Kootu

Masala Ingredients
                       Urad Daal               2 tsp.
                       Black pepper            1/3 tsp.
                       Red Chillies            2
                       Cumin Seeds             1 tsp.
                       Coconut (grated)        3 tbsp.
Masala Preparation

 [1] Roast Urad Daal, Black Pepper and Red Chillies until the
     Daal is golden yellow.

 [2] Add Cumin seeds to the mixture after removing from stove.
 [3] Add the coconut when the mixture is cold.  Grind with wa-
     ter.

Ingredients
                      Yellow Split Peas       1/2 cup
                      Chili powder            1/4 tsp.
                      Turmeric                pinch
                      Spinach                 10 oz.
                      or
                      Vegetables etc.         4 - 5 cups
Preparation

 [1] Boil Yellow Split Peas.  Keep aside.

 [2] Boil vegetables(spinach or combo of cabbage, squash, beans,
     etc.)  with salt, chili powder and turmeric until just cooked.

 [3] Add masala and daal.

                                      ***

                                 Masur Daal

Ingredients
                         Masur Daal        1 cup
                         Onion             1
                         Ginger            1 in.
                         Water             3 1/2 cup
                         turmeric          pinch
                         garlic            2 cloves
                         cumin seeds       1 tsp.
                         butter            2 tbsp.
Preparation

 [1] Wash well the daal and drain it.

 [2] Boil the water and add the daal, salt, pepper, turmeric,
     finely chopped ginger, and garlic.  Cover the pot and simmer
     for 20 mins.

 [3] When done, heat the ghee add the cumin.  Fry till golden
     brown and add thinly sliced onions.  Fry till crisp and brown.

     May add paprika and finely chopped tomatoes to the above
for color.  Pour over the daal and serve.

                                      ***

                            Molahu Kozhambhu
Masala Ingredients
                        Black Pepper           1 tsp.
                        Red chillies           6
                        Chana Daal             1 tbsp.
                        Toor Daal              1 tbsp.
                        Coriander Seeds        1 tbsp.
                        Coconut(grated)        1 tbsp.
Masala Preparation

 [1] Fry all ingredients (except coconut) in as little oil as possi-
     ble.

 [2] Add coconut, grind (very fine) in blender.

Ingredients
                        Tamcon              1 flat tsp.
                        Salt                2 tsp.
                        Mustard Seeds       1 tsp.
                        Turmeric            pinch
                        Tomatoes            1/2 can
                        Rice powder         1 tsp.
                        Hing                1/4 tsp.
Preparation

 [1] Heat oil, mustard seeds.

 [2] Add 4 cups water, tamcon, masala, turmeric, tomatoes, and
     salt to the pan.  Boil for about 10 minutes.

 [3] Add hing, rice powder and stir to thicken.  Boil for another
     minute or so.

                                      ***

                             More Kozhambhu

Ingredients
                       Yogurt                     32 oz.
                       Coriander seeds            2 tsp.
                       Cumin seeds                2 tsp.
                       Red Chili powder           1 tsp.
                       Chana Daal                 1 tsp.
                       Rice or rice powder        1 tsp.
                       Coconut (grated)           2 tsp.
                       Salt                       2 tsp.
                       Mustard                    1 tsp.
                       Turmeric                   pinch
                       Red Chili                  1
Preparation

 [1] Fry Coriander seeds, Cumin seeds, Chana Daal, Red Chili in
     a little oil.

 [2] Grind the mixture with the coconut and add to the beaten
     yogurt.  Add turmeric and bring to a boil.

 [3] Stir in rice powder, and heat on low until consistent texture
     is achieved.

 [4] Heat oil and mustard seeds and add to the mixture.

                                      ***

                             Navarattan Curry

Ingredients
                       Potato                   1 large
                       Random veg's             4 cups
                       Butter                   2 tbsp.
                       Onion                    1 large
                       Garlic                   2 cloves
                       Tomatoes                 2
                       Yogurt                   2 tbsp.
                       Heavy cream              1/2 cup
                       Green peas               4 oz.
                       Raisins                  1/4 cup
                       Blanched almonds         12
Dry Masala Ingredients
                     Cardamom (ground)           1/2 tsp.
                     Coriander powder            1/2 tsp.
                     Ginger (ground)             1/2 tsp.
                     Red Chili powder            1/2 tsp.
                     Turmeric                    1/2 tsp.
Note:  For the random vegetables, can use, e.g., broccoli, green
peppers, carrots, cauliflower, green beans, etc.
Preparation

 [1] Boil vegetables (except onions and peas).  Drain and set
     aside.

 [2] Melt butter and saute onions and garlic.  Add tomatoes, yo-
     gurt, and the dry masala, and simmer for 5 minutes.  Add
     vegetables and simmer for another 5 minutes, then add wa-
     ter.  Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.  Add cream and peas,
     stirring gently.

 [3] Before serving, top with raisins and almonds.

                                      ***

                                Nimbu Pickle

Ingredients
                           Lemons            6
                           Salt              5 tsp.
                           Chili powder      5 tsp.
                           Turmeric          pinch
                           Hing              1 tsp.
                           Methi             1 tsp.
                           Oil               5 tbsp.
Preparation

 [1] Cut lemons into small pieces and remove the seeds.  Add salt
     and keep for about 12 hours.

 [2] Add chili powder, turmeric, and methi.

 [3] Heat oil, mustard seeds, and hing.  Spread this mixture over
     the lemons.

 [4] Mix thoroughly.

                                      ***

                                    Rajma
Ingredients
                    Red Kidney Bean          2 cup
                    turmeric                 pinch
                    oil                      1/4 cup
                    ginger                   1 in.
                    tomatoes                 3
                    water                    3 quarts
                    salt                     1 tsp.
                    onion                    1
                    Garam Masala             1 tsp.
                    Coriander Leaves         small bunch
Preparation

 [1] Wash beans and boil for 2 - 3 hours or 1/2 hour in pressure
     cooker.

 [2] In the meantime make masala of onions, garlic, ginger and
     tomato as in ?  curry.

 [3] Add to the beans and cook again till most of the liquid dries
     up and the beans are soft and thoroughly cooked.

 [4] Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.

                                      ***

                                  Ras Malai

Ingredients
                    Ricotta Cheese        2 lb.
                    Half and Half         2 qts.
                    Sugar                 2 cups
                    Cardamon pods         5
                    Bay leaf              1
                    Vanilla               1 tsp.
                    Rose Water            To taste (opt.)
Preparation

 [1] Mix 1.5 cups of sugar with the Ricotta cheese and bake it
     in a 400o F oven for about 1hr and 15 minutes in a flat dish
     covered with aluminum foil.  The cheese should have hard-
     ened and turned a pale brown.

 [2] Thicken the Half and Half by simmering over low heat for a
     long time.  This is best done in a microwave; if a microwave
     is not available, do it over low heat and stir frequently.
     Thicken until the volume drops to around half of the origi-
     nal volume.

 [3] Add the remaining 0.5 cup sugar, cardamon pods, bay leaf,
     vanilla and rose water (and any other flavouring that you
     may want) to the Half and Half.  Heat for a few minutes.

 [4] After the cheese has been baked, cut it into 1 inch squares
     and add to the hot thickened half and half.  Cool for a few
     hours in the fridge.

                                      ***

                                  Rasagolla

Ingredients
                          Milk              1 gallon
                          Lemon Juice       1 cup
                          Sugar             1 cup
Preparation

 [1] Bring one gallon of milk to a boil.  When boiling add one
     cup of either whiter vinegar or lemon juice.  Turn the stove
     off.  Milk should separate into whey and curd.

 [2] Pour into collander, leaving only the panir/curd.  Leave curd
     in strainer until cold and dry.  This will take at least an hour
     (you can leave it overnight).

 [3] Place curd in food processor and process for one minute.  It
     should be soft but not sticky.

 [4] Form small balls from the curd.  Using vinegar usually re-
     sults in about 80 to 100 rasagollas.

 [5] Bring one cup sugar and 3 cups water to a boil in a pressure
     cooker.  Place 20-25 rasgoolas in syrup.  Turn off the heat to
     place the cover on the pressure cooker.  Turn heat on high.
     When cooker begins to whistle wait for a couple of minutes,
     then turn it off.

 [6] When pressure cooker depressurizes, remove cover and re-
     peat previous step with the rest of the rasgoolas.  Do not use
     the same sugar syrup more than once.

                                      ***

                                 Nimbu Rice

Ingredients
                         Rice                 1 cup
                         Oil                  2 tbsp.
                         Mustard Seeds        1 tsp.
                         Urad Daal            1 tsp.
                         Chana Daal           1 tsp.
                         Cashews              handful
                         Raisins              handful
                         Turmeric             pinch
                         mixed vegs.          1 cup
                         Lemon                1
Preparation

 [1] Cook rice.

 [2] Heat oil and add all other ingredients except for the lemon.
     Fry as appropriate.

 [3] Mix stuff in pan with rice.  Squeeze the lemon and add the
     juice to the rice.

                                      ***

                                    Rasam

Ingredients
                       Tomatoes              2
                       Haldi                 1/4 tsp.
                       Tamcon                1 1/2 tsp.
                       Toor Daal             3/4 cup
                       Ghee                  1 tsp.
                       Mustard seeds         1 tsp.
                       Coriander leaves      bunch
Preparation

 [1] Boil tamcon in water.

 [2] Boil toor daal in water.

 [3] Cut tomatoes, add to tamcon solution.  Add hing and salt.
     Boil for a couple of minutes.

 [4] Add mashed toor daal and rasam masala.

 [5] In a pan, heat ghee, fry mustard seeds.

 [6] Add fresh coriander leaves and mustard seeds.
                                      ***

                               Rasam Masala

Masala Ingredients
                        Black Pepper            1 tbsp.
                        Chana Daal seeds        2 tbsp.
                        Coriander Seeds         2 tbsp.
                        Red Chillies            4-5
                        L.G.                    1 tsp.
                        Coconut (grated)        3 tbsp.
                        Ghee                    2 tbsp.
Masala Preparation

 [1] Roast black pepper, chana daal, coriander, and hing.

 [2] Add chillies when daal starts getting red.

 [3] If using dry coconut, soak it in a little water.  Blend the daal
     mixture and coconut until the paste is fine.  Keep aside.

                                      ***

                                    Sambar

Ingredients
                        Tamcon              1 tbsp.
                        Mustard Seeds       1 tbsp.
                        Vegetables          as needed
                        Turmeric            pinch
                        Salt                to taste
                        Toor Daal           1 cup
                        Curry Leaves        2-3
                        Ghee                2 tsp.
Preparation

 [1] Boil toor daal and mash.

 [2] Boil tamcon in water until dissolved.

 [3] Take the vegetables, slightly fry them, and add them to this
     tamarind water.  Add a little salt and turmeric and boil.

 [4] When vegetables are soft, add the toor daal paste and wait
     until the mixture boils again.  Lower flame.
 [5] Add curry leaves, the masala mixture, salt and boil for a few
     minutes, stirring occasionally.

Optional:  Garnish with roasted mustard seeds.

Note If the toor daal gets burnt, rectify by adding a small ball
of cooked rice (it will remove the odor).  It will also absorb ex-
cess salt, so compensate for this when eating.

                                      ***

                               Sambar Masala

Masala Ingredients
                       Methi (Fenugreek)         1 tsp.
                       Chana Daal seeds          2 tbsp.
                       Coriander Seeds           4 tbsp.
                       Red Chillies              4-5
                       L.G.                      1 tsp.
                       Coconut (grated)          3 tbsp.
                       Oil                       3 tbsp.
Masala Preparation

 [1] Roast methi, chana daal, and hing.

 [2] Add chillies when daal starts getting red.

 [3] If using dry coconut, soak it in a little water and blend the
     daal mixture and coconut until the paste is fine.  Keep aside.

                                      ***

                                     Sooji

Ingredients
                      Rava                    1 cup
                      Water                   3 cups
                      Sugar                   1 1/2 cups
                      Ghee                    3-4 tbsp.
                      Cardamons               few
                      Cashews                 some
                      Raisins                 some
                      Saffron/Turmeric        pinch
Preparation
 [1] Roast rava until light brown.

 [2] Boil 3 cups of water, add sugar, allow it to completely dis-
     solve.

 [3] Add rava to water slowly, stirring.

 [4] Fry cardamons, raisins, cashews in ghee.  Add to rava.

 [5] Add saffron/turmeric and mix.

                                      ***

                                Tomato Rice

Ingredients
                       Rice                  1 cup
                       Tomatoes              1/2 can
                       Green Pepper          1
                       Onions                1-2
                       Green Chillies        2-3
                       Ginger                1/2 inch
                       Garlic                2-3 cloves
                       Fresh coriander       bunch
                       Random spices         ?
Preparation

 [1] Fry cut onions, green pepper, ginger, garlic, random spices (
     cloves, black pepper, cinnamon, cardamon, bay leaves) and
     salt for 5 - 10 minutes.

 [2] Add tomatoes, saute for a while.

 [3] Add washed and drained rice, fry for 5 minutes or so.  Add
     more water and cook until rice is done.

 [4] Extra fancy:  Top rice with cheese, tomato and green pepper
     slices (rings, e.g.)  and bake for 20 - 25 minutes at 250o.

                                      ***

                                   Uppuma

Ingredients
                          Oil                 2 tbsp.
                          Water               3 cups
                          Onion               1
                          Rava                2 cups
                          Mixed vegs.         1 cup
                          Mustard seeds       1 tsp.
                          Urad Daal           1 tsp.
                          Chana Daal          1 tsp.
                          Ginger              1 tsp.
                          Green chilis        2
                          Red Chili           1
Preparation

 [1] Roast rava until light brown.

 [2] Separately, fry mustard seeds, urad and chana daals,
     chopped onion, (crushed) red and (chopped) green chilis in
     oil.  (Optional:  can add cumin and coriander powders, peas,
     mixed vegetables, etc.  and fry these too.)

 [3] Add water to the fried mixture, bring it to a boil, lower the
     flame, and add the rava slowly, stirring while doing so.

 [4] Optional:  add cashews.

---

From: [email-masked] (Manoj Khiani)
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 1994 09:01:24 GMT

Credits:

                                      ***

                                     Vada

Ingredients
                          Moong Daal        1/2 cup
                          Urad Daal         1/2 cup
                          Onion             1
                          Coriander         2 tsp.
                          Green Chili       1
                          Chili powder      1/2 tsp.
                          Salt              1 tsp.
                          Ginger            1 tsp.
                          Baking Soda       1/4 tsp.
Preparation

 [1] Soak urad daal and moong daal for 2-3 hours.

 [2] Grind daals into a coarse paste.
 [3] Add finely chopped onion, salt, coriander powder, chili pow-
     der OR green chili, ginger and soda.  Mix well and set aside
     for 4-5 minutes.

 [4] Fry small spoonfuls of the mixture in hot oil.

                                      ***

                             Vegetable Jalfrasie

Ingredients
                      Onion                   1 large
                      Green peppers           2
                      Tomatoes                2 large
                      Broccoli                1/2 lb.
                      Cauliflower             1/2 lb.
                      Butter                  4 tbsp.
                      Red Chili Powder        1 tsp.
                      Turmeric                1/2 tsp.
                      Ginger                  1 in.  stick
                      Garlic                  3 cloves
                      White vinegar           2 tbsp.
                      Tomato puree            2 tbsp.
Preparation

 [1] Chop onion; cut green peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, and
     cauliflower into 1 in.  cubes.

 [2] Melt butter and saute onion.  Add all the remaining vegeta-
     bles and stir-fry for about 5 minutes over medium heat.

 [3] Add the spices and vinegar.  Stir in the tomato puree, and
     simmer for about 5 minutes.  Season to taste with salt and
     fresh-ground pepper.

            The above recipes were graciously supplied by
    Rajeev Krishnamoorthy, [email-masked]

                               ***

                      Vellirikkai Thogayal

Ingredients
           1 large or 2 medium cucumbers
           3 tbsps oil (sesame, if you have it)
           1 tspn black mustard seeds
           1 tspn white urad dal
           1/2 tspn fenugreek (methi)
           2-4 dried red chillies
           1/2 tbsp tamcon paste
           a good pinch asafoetida
           salt to taste.
Preparation

   1. Peel cucumber, slit into half, scoop out seeds. Slit into
      further narrow strips and cut tiny pieces as for
      kachumbar. Should not be grated as this gives no 'bite'
      feel in the mouth.

   2. Next, warm the oil and fry all ingredients except the
      tamarind. Mustard should stop spluttering and dal/methi
      should turn brown. Drain out these fried spices into a
      blender, leaving oil behind in pan.

   3. Add cucumber and stir fry for two mins, no more.

   4. Add tamcon to spices in blender and with half the
      cucumber run on low speed till everything looks coarsely
      ground and blended. Remove into a bowl, add remaining
      cucumber pieces and mix well.

                               ***

                       Katirikkai Thogyal

Ingredients
           One Bhima eggplant
           3 tspns urad dal
           3-4 red chillies
           a litle asafoetida
           1/2 tbsp tamarind paste
           salt to taste
           oil to fry dal
Preparation

   1. Wrap eggplant in foil nicely and keep inside a 400 deg
      oven for about 45 mins or until soft. Alternately you
      could broil it over a gas flame till it gets evenly charred.
      Cool and peel off skin. Drain of any juices. Chop into
      large bits.

   2. Fry dal, red chillies and asafoetida in oil till brown. Drop
      into a blender, add tamarind, salt and some of the
      eggplant. Run the blender on low speed till coarsely
      blended. Add remaining eggplant and whir for one
      minute. Scrape out and serve.

   3. Other Thogyals/Chutneys

      Substitute lightly sauteed onion/zuchini/canadian (hot
      house) cucumber in above recipe for a variety.

                               ***

                           Pulikacchal

Ingredients
           Soaked tamarind about the size of a large lemon
           1 1/2 tbspn jaggery
           2 tbspns sesame seeds roasted dry
           6-8 green chillies, slit into two (more, if it isn't hot)
           2 inch ginger cut into thin strips
           1 tspn mustard seeds
           1 tspn chana dal
           3-4 tbspns oil, preferably sesame
           good pinch asafoetida
           pinch turmeric
           curry leaves
Preparation

   1. Squeeze out the pulp from the tamarind. You can add a
      little fresh water each time to extract the pulp. When you
      have a about a small bowl full, set aside.

   2. Warm oil, season with mustard seeds first. When they
      start to pop throw in red chillies, chana dal, asafoetida
      and curry leaves. When dal turns red, add the green
      chillies and fry. Throw in the ginger, add tamarind extract
      carefully, a pinch turmeric, salt to taste and jaggery.
      Simmer on low heat till raw smell disappears and the
      sauce has reduced to one-third or thickened yet spoonable.

   3. Crush the roasted sesame seeds with a rolling pin on
      paper or in a spice mill rather coarsely. Add this at the
      end to the pulikacchal Mix well so there are no lumps.

                               ***

                              Gotsu

Ingredients
           One small to medium eggplant
           1/2 tbsp tamarind paste or extract
               from a tamarind size marble, soaked
           one large onion, chopped (if using little
               ones in a bag, about five)
           2 ripe tomatoes, diced
           6 hot green chilles, slit and cut into pieces
           curry leaves
           1 tspn mustard
           1/2 tspn turmeric
           garlic (optional)
           salt to taste
           3-4 tbspn oil
Preparation

   1. Chop the eggplant into very tiny pieces. Heat oil, add
      mustard seeds, when popping add curry leaves, chillies,
      onions and fry till onions become transcluscent. Add
      tomatoes and eggplant and fry for another five minutes. If
      using tamarind paste add a cup and half of water, or pour
      equal quantity of extract from fresh pulp. Throw in the
      turmeric, salt and garlic. Let it simmer for a while until
      eggplant becomes really soft and is barely able to retain
      its shape. Remove from heat.

   2. Tomato-Onion Gotsu

      More tomatoes can be substituted instead of the eggplant
      for a tomato- onion gotsu. Add more chillies if necessary.

                               ***

                          Anai Pachadi

Ingredients
           One small butternut squash
           3-4 green chillies
           3 tbs coconut
           1 tspn tamarind paste
           1/2 tspn mustard seeds
           a little jaggery/sugar
           turmeric and salt to taste
           For seasoning:
           A little mustard seeds, fenugreek,
               red chilli, curry leaves and oil.
Preparation

   1. Cut squash into inch square and 1/4 inch thick slices.
      Wash and in about a cup and a half of water, add
      tamarind paste and sliced squash.

   2. Add turmeric, salt and cook on low heat till done.

   3. Grind coconut, green chillies, 1/2 tspn mustard seeds and
      stir into cooked squash. Can wash out blender and add
      this water too.

   4. Let mustard seeds splutter in oil, add fenugreek, red chilli,
      curry leaves and in a couple of minutes pour onto pachadi.

   5. Variations:

      Instead of tamarind paste can use yogurt at the end. Can
      use cut okra or, okra and eggplant pieces, instead of
      squash.

                               ***

                      Katirikka Rasavangi

Ingredients
           One Bhima eggplant
           1/2 tbsp tamarind paste
           1 1/2 tspn coriander seeds
           1 tspn chana dal
           3-4 dried red chillies
           4 tbsp coconut (dry will do but fresh is better)
           1/2 cup cooked toovar dal (with turmeric)
           1/2 tspn mustard seeds
           a pinch asafoetida
           curry leaves
           A little oil for roasting and seasoning
           salt to taste
Preparation

   1. Cube eggplant. In about a cup of water dissolve the
      tamcon paste. Set on stove, add eggplant to tamarind
      water, a little turmeric, salt and let cook until eggplant is
      done but has not lost its shape.

   2. In a pan with very little oil roast red chillies, coriander
      seeds, chana dal and asafoetida. When you can get the
      aroma of roasted coriander or the red chillies have turned
      a dark, dark red remove from heat and let cool. Throw
      into blender with coconut, add 3 tbsp water and grind
      slowly into paste. Add a little water if blade gets stuck.
      Remove from jar and wash it out with water and save this.

    3. Mash cooked dal with a spoon until blended and add to
       cooked eggplant. Now add the coconut paste and its
       water. Keep on low heat till it starts to simmer a little.
       Take off heat.

    4. Season with spluttering mustard seeds and curry leaves.

    5. Variations:

       You can throw in a handful of chick peas from a can into
       this, thin it out somewhat and have it as katirikka sambar.
       Alternately, you can make the cooked dal with half toovar
       and half chana dal, in which case you should not cook
       until mashed. Remove a trifle before it gets fully done.

                                ***

Kothimeera Kaaram Petti Vankaya Koora-brinjal with coriander
                   By: [email-masked]

 Preparation

    1. Get certain amount of brinjals [the long thin ones, or the
       short small ones found in the Indian stores are
       recommended-though the Bhima Brinjal aka Eggplant
       found in groc. is also fine].

    2. Cut the Brinjal is to long thin pieces [to get an idea for
       the size: for the long thin Indian ones, I slice them
       vertically into four quadrants, and horizontally into 2-3
       cylinders.]

    3. Keep the brinjal aside.

    4. Get certain amount of coriander [for one small bhima
       brinjal, I use about 1 coriander bunch] and 1-2 green
       chillies. Put them in blender, add some water and blend
       it into watery pase.

    5. Now, in a large pan, heat 2-3 tb. spoons of Vitamin E
       (Oil), and add black grams [urad daal/minapa pappu]
       mustard seeds, dry red chillies (in that order) and fry
       them.

    6. When they are being fried, add the brinjal pieces to the
       seasoning, and cook for 6-7 minutes in medium heat
       (while stirring the brinjal pieces).

   7. First, Add salt along with the coriander/chilly paste Next,
      add the coriander/chilly watery paste to the brinjals.
      Cover the pan partially and cook in medium/low heat.

   8. Second, cook until the brinjal soakes up the coriander
      paste, but doesn't become too soft and crumbly

   9. At the end, add some tamarind water [you may also add
      flour if the curry is too watery for your taste].

  10. The curry is now ready.

                               ***

                 Vankaya Kaaram Petti Koora
                  By: [email-masked]

Preparation

   1. Make the curry in the same way as above (step 1-3, 5, 6, 8
      are same) but instead of coriander/green chilly paste, put
      the "Kaaram" made as follows:

   2. In a small pan, roast (with very little oil), 3-4 tb spoons
      of split chana daal (bengal grams), 2-3 tb. spoons of urad
      daal (black grams), 2 tb. sp. of whole Dhaniya
      (coriander) seeds, 1 tea spoon mustard seeds, 2-3 small
      dry red chillies, and (optionally) 0.5 tb. spoon of white
      sesame seeds.

   3. Dry grind the roasted mixture into powder (it is actually
      better to stop grinding when you have small pieces of
      chana daal).

   4. Add this powder to the brinjal in step 7. above.

   5.  [NOTE: YOU CAN SUBSTITUTE DONDA KAAYA
      (TINDOLLA) OR BEERA KAAYA (??) FOR BRINJAL
      IN THE SECOND CURRY.]

                               ***

                     Didir Onion Rava Dosa

Ingredients
           one cup semolina/rava
           one cup maida
           1/2 cup rice flour
           4-5 green chillies finely chopped
           3/4 inch ginger chopped fine
           1 1/2 tspn jeera slightly crushed
               (enough to bring out its flavor)
           salt to taste
           good pinch asafoetida
           2-3 chopped onions
           a bunch cashews
           oil to make dosas
Preparation

   1. Mix rava, maida, rice flour together into a thick batter
      adding little water at a time so no lumps are formed.
      Mixing by hand is a good idea if you don't have a whisk
      or electric mixer. Add salt, crushed cumin asafoetida and
      leave in a warm spot for six to seven hours at least.

   2. When ready to eat, spray a non-stick pan lightly with oil
      and warm.

   3. Thin out the batter to the consistency where it can be
      drizzled onto the pan with a spoon. Drop chopped green
      chillies and ginger into batter.

   4. Sprinkle some of the cut onions and cashews onto the pan
      and now continuing on low-medium heat, drizzle the
      batter such that there is a latice work effect. A lot of
      holes is just the thing. Dribble a bit bit of oil around it
      and when the edges start turning brown coax it off the
      pan with a flat, wide spatula and flip it over. Remove in a
      few minutes and make more.

   5. For the plain rava dosa leave out the onions.

                               ***

                           Didir Dosa

Ingredients
           3 measures of rice flour
           1 measure of urad flour
Preparation

   1. Mix well so no lumps are formed. Salt to taste. Leave
      covered in a large pot overnight. Make thin crepes,
      preferably in non-stick pan.

Pesarattu

Ingredients
           1 cup mung dal
           1/3 cup rice
           4 green chillies
           1 tspn cumin
           1 inch piece ginger
           salt to taste
           oil for making dosas
           1 cup chopped onions
           chopped coriander
Preparation

   1. Soak mung dal and rice five to six hours. Grind to rava
      consistency with chillies, ginger and cumin. Add chopped
      onions, coriander and mix well without beating. Lay out
      thin crepes in non-stick pan and do same as for regular
      dosas.

                               ***

                    Onion Vetha Kozhambu

Ingredients
           lemon size tamarind soaked in about a cup of water
           pearl onions/shallots peeled
           2 dried red chilli pods
           1 1/2 tspn sambar powder
           1 1/2 tspn rice flour mixed
               with a little water for thickening
           salt to taste
           mustard, chana dal, curry leaves for seasoning
           a pinch asafoetida
           2 tbspn oil
Preparation

   1. Warm oil. Season with mustard , chana dal and curry
      powder. Saute peeled onions till translucent. Add
      squeezed out extract of tamarind. Throw the sambar
      powder, salt and asafoetida in. Let simmer till onions are
      cooked. Add dissolved rice flour water for thickening. Stir
      and wait till it simmers again a couple of minutes.
      Remove

   2. Variations:

      Tomatoes with chick peas makes a delicious vatha
      kozhambu. Add some slit green chillies if you would like
      to spike it up. Other suggestions are diced sweet potato,
      diced butternut squash, daikon (chinese radish),
      drumsticks (available fresh in Indian stores or canned,
      pre-cooked) all on their own.

                               ***

                              Pitlai

Ingredients
           2 med bitter gourds (karela)
           3/4 can chickpeas
           1/2 cup cooked toovar dal
           3 green chillies slit
           1 1/2 tspn tamarind paste
           3-4 red dry chillies
           2 tspns urad dal
           1 1/2 tspn coriander seeds
           1/2 cup grated coconut
           few peppercorns
           a little jaggery or sugar
           turmeric, salt to taste
           mustard seeds, curry leaves, oil for seasoning
Preparation

   1. Slit karela into four quarters and cut 1/2 inch thick pieces
      across.

   2. In a little oil, saute cut karelas and green chillies. Add 2
      cups water, tamarind, turmeric and salt. Let simmer until
      karelas are tender. Add chickpeas and jaggery/sugar.

   3. While karelas are cooking, in another pan sprinkle a little
      oil and fry coriander seeds, urad dal, red chillies and
      peppercorns until well roasted. Add coconut, stir a min or
      two and then grind in a blender. Add a little tomato
      paste if handy for color.

   4. Blend in cocunut paste into the karela-tamarind mixture.
      Add the dal. Mix well and reheat a till it begins to
      simmer. Take off stove.

   5. Pour seasoning on top.

                               ***

            Cabbage, potatoes and peas molagootal

Ingredients
           1/2 cup mung dal
           1/2 a small head cabbage chopped fine
           1 large baking potato, diced
           a bunch frozen peas
           1 heaped tspn sambar powder
           turmeric, salt to taste
           shredded dry coconut (fine variety)
               soaked in a little water
           mustard, urad dal, dry red chilli,
               curry leaves and oil for seasoning
Preparation

   1. Set dal to cook in about 2 cups water and a touch
      turmeric. When dal is three-quarters done add shredded
      cabbage, potatoes and a little more water if needed on top
      of the dal. Add sambar powder and salt.

   2. Cover with a lid and let it simmer away another 10 to 15
      mins. Veggies should be done but still holding their
      shape. Stir in wet coconut. Remove from heat. Top with
      seasoning as explained in previous recipes.

   3. If more particular, grind fresh coconut with roasted red
      chilli and roasted urad dal paste in lieu of the dessicated
      coconut.

   4. Variations:

      You can do a keerai (spinach) kootan with a little
      modification. Add fresh coconut ground with roasted red
      chillies, urad dal and a little cumin. Also you can cook
      toovar dal separately or throw veggies + dal in a cooker
      for a few minutes, if you like. This tends to overcook
      veggies but can be done fast.

                               ***

                            Erucheri

Ingredients
           2 plaintanos
           1 1/2 cups fresh coconut
           crushed black pepper
           turmeric, salt to taste.
           mustard, 1 red chilli, urad dal,
               curry leaves, oil for seasoning
Preparation

   1. Peel plaintanos and cut into small pieces after slitting
      lengthwise into quarters.

   2. Cook with water well above level of veggies, salt turmeric
      and pepper added on low heat until plantanos get really
      done. Takes about 25 mins or so. Grind half the fresh
      coconut and add to cooked plaintanos.

   3. In a separate pan season with mustard, urad dal, curry
      leaves and fry remaining grated coconut until a reddish
      brown. Pour this onto the plaintainos and ericheri is
      ready.

                               ***

              Chou-Chou koot/curry/pooduthual

Ingredients
           Two medium sized chayote squash
           1/2 cup shredded coconut
           2 green chillies, crushed
           turmeric, salt to taste
           mustard, 1 red chilli, urad dal,
               curry leaves, oil for seasoning
Preparation

   1. Peel skin of squash. Cube. Cook with a little water,
      turmeric and salt. When done yet firm, add coconut and
      green chilli mix. Pour seasoning on top. If there's more
      liquid it becomes kootu, if moist but not liquidy then
      poduthual.

   2. Variations:

      Can do plaintanos (raw, green or, if not there, very, very
      green chiquita bananas) for a vazhakai poduthual/thoran.
      Also can do red pumpkin/butternut squash similarly.

   3. An excellent and quick ckakka thoran is also possible. A
      Thai canned product is green jackfruit, already cooked.
      Just shred this by hand, prepare seasoning in 5-6 tbspns
      oil and toss crushed coconut and green chillies in. Salt.
      Stir well and remove when thoroughly heated thru and
      still moist. This dish needs a fair amount of coconut, and
      the fresh one is preferred.

                               ***

                           Vangi bath
                     By: [email-masked]

Ingredients
           1 medium sized eggplant;
           Coriander seeds, asafoetida, dried red chilli (2/3/4),
               urad dal, turmeric, cinnamon sticks.
           Basmati rice, cooked.
           Coconut - shredded (the large-shredded variety
               preferred over the micro-shredded type)
           1 large lemon
Preparation

   1. Cook the rice. The usual way - but to get it dry, fluffy
      and light (not at all sticky)..

   2. Skin the eggplant and chop it into cubes; sprinkle lemon
      juice on the the cubes (+ some salt) and let sit for 30
      mins or so.

   3. In a large saucepan, heat some oil and when hot, toss the
      spices in and fry for 2-3 mts.. When the color had
      changed dark, use a slotted spoon and toss the contents
      into a plate lined with a paper napkin (this will drain out
      the oil sticking to the spices).

   4. Add some oil to the pan and when hot, toss the coconut
      in and keep stirring until the coconut becomes
      brown/golden. Remove in a manner similar to the spices.

   5. To the pan, add some oil and when hot, add the soaked
      eggplant cubes and stir until 75

   6. Remove the eggplant and keep in a warm container.

   7. In a blender (or coffee grinder), blend the spices and
      coconut until you have a powder.

   8. In a pot, boil 1/4th cup water, lotsa lemon juice, 1/2 tsp
      turmeric and some salt.

   9. Into the cooked rice, toss the contents of the pot and stir.
      The rice should take on the color of the turmeric.

  10. Now, add the contents of the blender. The rice should
      take the color of the spice-mix and here and there, you
      can see a glimpse of the yellow turmeric color.

  11. Squeeze lemon onto the eggplant; let sit for 1-2 mts; toss
      the eggplant into the rice and stir.

  12. Taste a bit; if you need salt, add. If you feel something is
      missing, squeeze some lemon, stir and repeat. (You may
      choose to add some salt that way too) Vangi bath is
      ready. Serve with yogurt raita/pachadi.

                               ***

                          Venn pongal

Ingredients
           2 cups rice
           3/4 cup mung dal, dry roasted to a golden brown
           cracked black peppercorns
           1 1/2 tspns lightly crushed cumin
           turmeric, salt to taste
           A good bunch curry leaves
           a little chopped ginger
           5-6 tbspns ghee/melted butter turned brown
           bunch cashews
Preparation

   1. Wash rice and roasted dal. Add water to one inch above
      level of rice. Add turmeric and let it simmer. Add a little
      more water if not semi- solid. When done remove from
      heat.

   2. Warm ghee and roast cashews until a golden, remove
      carefully and set aside. Throw in cumin seeds, cracked
      pepper, curry leaves into the ghee and in a minute or two
      pour int onto the pongal with the cashews. Add the
      ginger. Mix well.

                               ***

           Very Minty, Very tasty, Vegetable Biryani

Ingredients
           2 1/2 cups rice (basmati preferred)
           2 med-large onions, chopped fine
           To soak: in 2 cups thick yogurt,
               good if homemade with half and half)
               FOR BEST RESULTS: soak for 2-3 hours.
           6 med tomatoes, diced
           6 cardadmoms
           6 cloves
           6 cinnamon sticks
           1 tspn turmeric
           1 tspn garam masala
           2 tspn dhania powder
           1/2 tspn red chilli powder
           1 bunch chopped coriander
           1 bunch chopped fresh mint
           5 green chillies, slit.
           Grind to paste: (and add to above
               yogurt mix to soak)
               4-5 cloves garlic, 4 green chillies,
               inch ginger.
Preparation

   1. Fry half the onions in a little ghee/oil until transluscent,
      add washed drained rice, stir till oil coated and a little
      crisp. Cook on low, low heat till 3/4 quarters done.
      Remove from heat.

   2. Sliver veggies. (carrots, beans) (cauliflower in small
      florets)

   3. Warm 4 tbspns oil and a litle ghee for flavor. Drop bay
      leaves, fennel, star anise (a must!). Fry onions till clear.
      Add veggies, stir until crisp cooked. Add yogurt mix. Salt
      to taste. And cook it down till thick and spoonable.

   4. Pre-heat oven to 400.

   5. Spread some rice in a large aluminum baking pan, then
      alternate by spreading some of the yogurt mix. Repeat
      alternating rice and yogurt mix till everything is used up.
      Cover tightly with foil wrap by crimping foil over edges of
      pan. Bake for 30 mins.

                               ***

                          Ricotta Halva

Ingredients
           15 oz. ricotta cheese
           3/4 cup sugar
           1/2 stick butter
           1/2 cup milk powder
           a few threads saffron soaked in warm milk
           powdered cardamoms
           pistachios for garnishing
Preparation

   1. Mix top four ingredients together and cook on low heat
      till dry and crumbly. Add last three ingredients and blend
      while still warm.

                               ***

                       Instant Therati Pal

Ingredients
           48 oz ricotta cheese
           1 1/2 cups sugar
           2 cans condensed milk
           1 cup ghee
Preparation

   1. First heat ricotta cheese (low) till it becomes dry and
      crumbly.

   2. Then add sugar. Mix and cook till it becomes solid.

   3. Pour in condensed milk and cook further.

   4. Add ghee and stir a while. Remove when halva doesn't
      stick to your fingers.

   5. (don't let it become too solid - it will solidify when you
      cool it.)

                               ***

                            Badusha

Ingredients
           2 cups bisquick
           sour cream
           2 cups sugar
           1 cup water
Preparation

   1. Make one thread consistency syrup with sugar and water.

   2. Make a dough with bisquick and sour cream. Roll it into
      balls and flatten slightly. Score a circle on the patty with
      a knife or small cap.

   3. Deep fry in crisco or oil on low fire till a med brown.

   4. Dip in syrup by pushing it deep down, remove and set
      aside. Can place a walnut or pecan in the center
      immediately after dipping.