Subject: Vegetarian main dish suggestions for Pesach?

From: [email-masked] (Tom Rubinstein)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 1994 17:29:17 GMT

Can anybody suggest a vegetarian main dish (lacto/ovo is ok) for Pesach.
We are non-observant, so hamets is not an issue.

Thanks,

Tom

---

From: "Mark C. Carroll" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 1994 21:06:46 GMT

>>>>> "Tom" == Tom Rubinstein <[email-masked]> writes:
In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Tom Rubinstein) writes:

Tom> Can anybody suggest a vegetarian main dish (lacto/ovo is ok) for
Tom> Pesach.  We are non-observant, so hamets is not an issue.

Well, here's a couple of good ones... (Note: my Pesach recipes tend to
have minumum uses of matzah, since it makes a painful mess of my
stomach.)

- Eggplant parmagiana. Make mostly as normal, except use matzah meal to
  bread the eggplant, and make a passover tomato sauce.

- Potato lasagne. Get *large* potatoes. Cut them into slices the long
  direction. Put a layer into a baking pan, then put a layer of mixed
  cheeses (whatever cheeses you can get for Pesach.) Then tomato sauce.
  Repeat, and top with a layer of potatoes and sauce without the cheese.
  Bake at 350 for one hour.

- Stir fried vegetables. Most vegetables are OK for pesach, so that's
  not too much of a problem. Coming up with sauces is a bit tricky,
  since you can't use any of the chinese sauces, but variations on
  salted vegetable stock with some spices thrown in works out
  pretty well. (I'm pretty sure that at least some 5-spice mixes are
  OK, depending on what they use to prevent caking. 5-spice in
  stock makes a *very* nice sauce.)

I could probably come up with more. Go through a vegetarian cookbook;
I've found that around one out of every 4 or 5 recipes can be altered
slightly to make it acceptable for Pesach.

	<MC>
--

---

From: [email-masked] (Judith S. Janette)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 22:27:50 GMT

Here are a few more ideas: 

If you're Sephardic and will eat legumes and rice, try making risotto.  
There are also lots of Indian recipes that can be used for Pesach (once  
again, only if you eat rice and legumes). The following recipe is for a  
matzah "lasgna". The recipe is an authentic Italian one derived from  
authentic Italian Jews (hence the real seasonings and actual effort made  
in the preparation...)

12 standard matzahs
1 cup olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1-1/2 pounds onions, thinly sliced
4 artichokes, or 2 8-ounce cans of artichoke hearts
Juice of 1 lemon, plus 1/2 cup juice
6 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon minced rosemary
3/4 teaspoon minced sage
2 pounds fresh spinach, cleaned, stemmed, and cooked 4 to 5 minutes in
  a pot with only the water left on the leaves, then squeezed dry
1 peperconcino (dried red chili), seeded and minced
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
6 large eggs
1 cup vegeatble broth or water

1.  Cover the matzahs with water and let sit until wet and almost
    crumbling. (step 2 deleted- the original used meat, but I deleted it)
3.  Saute the onion in 1/4 cup of the olive oil,  Drain and set aside.
4.  Clean the artichokes, remove the chokes and fibrous leaves, cook
    for about 20 minutes in water with lemon, and then saute the
    artichokes in 1/4 cup olive oil with 2 cloves garlic, rosemary, sage,
    and salt to taste.  Drain and set aside.  If using canned hearts,
    cut in half.
5.  Clean, stem and cook the spinach for 4 to 5 minutes in a pot with only
    the water left on the leaves,  Squeeze dry.  Saute with 2 more
     cloves of garlic, the peperoncino, nutmeg, salt to taste in 1/4 cup
    olive oil.  Drain and set aside.
6.  Lastly, saute the mushrooms in 1/4 cup olive oil, with 2 more cloves
    garlic and salt to taste added after 3 to 4 minutes.
7.  Grease a 9- by 13-inch baking dish and cover the bottom with the
    sauteed chopped meat if using.  Cover with a layer of 3 matzahs.
    Don't be upset if the matzahs fall apart; it won't matter.  Cover
    with the onions.  Layer 3 more matzahs on top, alternating with the
    artichokes, spinach, and mushrooms, and finishing with the mushrooms.
8.  Beat the eggs and the remaining 1/2 cup lemon juice, and pour over
    the top of the dish.  Add enough of the broth or water to moisten  
well.
9.  Bake in a preheated, 400-degree oven for about 30 minutes or until
    the mixture is set and cooked through.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings (P) or (M)

--

Judi Janette	[email-masked]