Subject: VEGAN: Indian: Spicy Spinach and Potatoes

From: [email-masked] (Prem!)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 21:15:23 GMT

Saag Aloo is a delicious spicy blend of spinach and chunky potatoes,
    and goes very well with parathas or naan.  It is very easy and 
    inexpensive to make, and will impress the heck out of your friends,
    especially if you go for the mughlai version. Be prepared to turn
    down marriage proposals though.  :-)

    It is also very versatile.  I have served this as a side dish with
    naan, rice or wheat tortillas;  used this as a stuffing with pita 
    bread,  and as stuffing in vegetable lasagna.  If you find more uses
    for it, do let me know. ([email-masked])

    Please don't be intimidated by the length of this article.  The basic
    procedure is very short and simple.  The article is long because of
    the suggestions, variations etc.  Give it a shot.

    ( source: a hand-written sheet of paper.  dunno original source.  )
    ( The serving suggestions, the variations, the warnings/notes and )
    ( optional improvements are my ideas.                             )

    Bon appetit,
    Prem!
    [email-masked]
    ========================================================================
    Saag Aloo
    --------

    Ingredients:
        Vegetables:
          1 can (16 oz)                chopped Spinach,  drained
          1/2 pound (2 large-size)     potatoes, cut in chunks 
          1 - 2 tablespoons            ghee or vegetable oil
          1 medium sized               onion, sliced into thin strips

        2-3 tablespoons              water

        Spices & Flavourings:
          6 whole black peppercorns, crushed coarsely.
          2 cloves of cardamom (elaichi), crushed.
	  1 teaspoon ground coriander
	  1 teaspoon cumin powder
          1 clove garlic, crushed.
          1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and cut into small matchsticks.
          1 fresh red chili, seeded and finely shredded. 
            (or pinch of chili powder)
          salt

        Optional "touches":
          some blanched, slivered almonds, cashews.
	  sliced mushrooms, added with the onions.
	  for "mughlai" taste, replace cumin powder (jeera)
               with fennel seeds (saunf)

    Vessels:
        1 saucepan
	1 bowl of water to soak potato chunks

    Serves:
        6 as a side dish
        3 as a main dish

    Procedure:

    1. Soak the potato chunks in a small bowl full of water until you
       need to use them.

    2. Heat ghee/oil in the saucepan on medium-low heat.  When oil is hot,
       reduce heat to low;  add the crushed peppercorns, cardamom seeds
       and almonds/cashews and saute gently for 2-3 minutes.

    3. Add the chili, ginger, onion and garlic to the saucepan and raise
       heat to medium.  Cook for a further 3-4 minutes, stirring lightly
       to prevent browning or burning.

    4. Stir in the spices and salt and mix well.  Drain the potato chunks
       and add them (without the water).    Stir vigorously as you turn the
       heat up, until potatoes are half baked and are covered thoroughly
       with the rest of the stuff. (you can add a little turmeric too at
       this point, though it isn't essential).

    5. Reduce heat back to medium and add about 2 tablespoons of water.
       Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, stirring occassionally.

    6. Gently stir in the spinach and simmer for about 20 minutes until
       the potatoes are tender.  Add a small quantity of water if necessary.
       Don't add too much water.  This is a moist dish, not a liquid one.

    7. Cover it.  Turn the heat off.  It's done.
    ========================================================================
    VERY IMPORTANT:                     WAYS IN WHICH YOU CAN SCREW UP:
    1. The intensity of heat you use to cook is crucial.  So follow the
       guidelines exactly.  When in doubt, be conservative and use low
       heat, it will just take a few more minutes, that's all.
    2. Adding too much water will ruin it.

    NOTES:
    1. VERY EASY TO MAKE.  Even _I_ have made this without screwing up!!! :-)
    2. Total time required is about 45 minutes.  Less if you already have
       the ingredients ready for another accompanying dish.
    3. Quite inexpensive, even if you add the almonds and cashews and the
       fancy geegaws.

    VARIATIONS:
    1. As already mentioned, replace cumin powder with fennel seeds for
       a mughlai taste.
    2. You can add a few fresh green peas to the equation.  If you are
       using fresh or dried peas, soak them accordingly and add early.
       If you're using frozen peas, you can add them after the potatoes.
    3. You can sprinkle a very small pinch of masala towards the end of
       the process, though I prefer not to, since masala can overpower
       the other flavours.
    4. Squeeze a lemon (or some concentrate) just before serving, or
       offer a few slices of lemon individually on the side. 
    5. Add some paneer/feta cheese chunks, or even tofu while saute'ing.
    6. Puree all or part of the spinach in a blender.
    7. If you plan to use this as filling for lasagna, either cut the 
       potatoes into small pieces or replace them altogether with peas.