Subject: Need/want info for Knoxville, TN

From: [email-masked] (Jim McElhinney)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 1994 23:05:51 GMT

My wife and I will be spending time in Knoxville in May.  I was able to
get little information on the net.  Any information about where one
can go out to eat and buy organic veggies would be appreciated.
Also, since weare taking the scenic route down, any information of
the same sort along both Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Mtn.
Parkway would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jim McElhinney
[email-masked]
-- 
Jim McElhinney
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Meredith Morris-Babb)
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 1994 14:50:06 GMT

In Article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>Parkway would be appreciated.

I will see what I can do to help out, Jim.  there are some great places in
K'violle for veggies.  If adamant about organic, I suggest you stay away
from the Farmer's Market in town.  Great stuff, but many of the locals use
chemicals to fertilize, persticide.  There are one or two stands that still
use the "grandma" method *that's organic in East Tennessean!)  and you can
tell right away which ones they are.  Locals stands on sides of roads tend
to use chemicals.  The best places in town are Natural & Organic Food, 7025
Lingston Pike across from (irnonic!) at MacD's.  Kingston Pike is the main
drag in K'ville, so it will be easy to find.  Also try Nature's Pantry 6600
Kibnston Pike and The K'ville Food Coop, 937 Broadway (there is an exit for
Broadf way off I-40 - head north).  We also have a Fresh Market on Kingston
Pike, but, as you may know, yo need to red the labels in the store.  they
are very good about posting this info, but not all of the food are organical
grown.

I doubt you will find much along the slyline and even less on the Blue
Ridge.  I grew up near the NC-VA boorder onthe parkway, and most people
think the chemical food are better - you know bigger, prettier.  You're best
bet will be the bigger cities - Harrisonburg, VA, Kingstyon and Johnson
City, TN, Asheville, NC is a great little twon with lots and lots of
wonderful veggie resturants.  You can prably find some in Boone, NC.  For
beauty, scenery and relaxation - I highly recommend the Blue Ridge over the
Skyline.  And please take amoment to hike the Great SMokey Mnts while here. 
Climb Mt. LeConte for a great hikle and a fabulous view.  Enjoy yor stay and
let mem know if there is anything else you need to know.

Meredith
Meredith Morris-Babb