Subject: VEGAN: Spring Rolls and Rice

From: [email-masked] (Tanya Heikkinen)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 21:13:53 GMT

I can't wait to see what our new bulbs will look like this year, so I thought
I'd encourage the next season and make Spring Rolls :-).

Last night I made my own version of spring rolls and rice.  It was quite 
tasty, but I noted some variations that could make these dishes even better.
The rolls are very low fat, but the rice has some oil.  These made enough
for my SO and I for dinner and lunch, with a little rice left over for the
parrots.

The following ingredients may be hard to find, but we got them at the local
asian food store:

*Dried black fungus is very dark brown, with ruffled edges.  It has a very
firm consistency, even after soaking, but is quite tasty.

*Rice paper wrappers are flat, translucent sheets (the ones I get are round)
made from rice.  The ones I get also have a basket weave design imprinted
on them.

Spring Rolls

2 oz. dried black fungus
2 oz. dried shiitake (or about 6 fresh ones, if available)
2 green onions
1 inch ginger root
1/2 cucumber
10 rice paper wrappers

Soak black fungus and shiitakes in hot water for 20-30 minutes, until soft.
Meanwhile, finely chop the onions and ginger.  Peel and chop the cucumber.
Chop the fungus and shiitakes.  Combine all and set aside to let the flavors
mingle.  Wet the rice paper wrappers, and let sit for about 2 minutes.
Carefully peel the wrappers apart, and put about 1 tbsp of filling in each.
Roll up and place on a tray.  Serve.

Notes:
1.  I wanted something light, so I didn't saute the ingredients.  I think it
would be quite good if you did (especially if you didn't get that ginger
chopped very fine :-) ).

2.  Some other ingredients that would be good: 1/2 cup crumbled, marinated
tofu; a few tablespoons tamari; 1/3 cup chopped roasted walnuts; 2 tbsp 
finely chopped peppers (as hot as you please), 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh
mint, or 1/2 cup chopped sprouts.

3.  You could also keep the filling ingredients separate, and let everyone
build their own.  Then you could have a multitude of toppings, and poke fun
at anyone who can't manage to peel off a whole sheet of rice paper!

Rice

1 tbsp peanut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 cardamom pods
1 1/2 cups white rice (used long-grain Jasmine rice)
1 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups water

Set a large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add the oil, then after a
minute, add the mustard seeds and cardamom seeds.  Saute for a few minutes,
until the mustard seeds begin to pop.  Add the rice, and stir until the rice
is coated in oil.  Add the water and salt.  Turn the heat to high.  Let boil
until you begin to see the rice through the water.  Reduce the heat to low,
cover, and let cook about 15 minutes.

Notes:
1.  This would have been very pretty with some finely chopped chiles, and
served with quartered, vine-ripe tomatoes, but alas, it is February, and
tomatoes are rather disgusting this time of year.

2.  You could also use brown rice, but you will have to adjust the water and
cooking times.