Subject: REQUEST: vegan sushi fillings

From: [email-masked] (amanda izenstark)
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 1994 05:42:00 GMT

Subject says it all. I love sushi, but I don't eat fish or eggs.
Thanks in advance!

Amanda

-- 
amanda izenstark                                     [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
death in the living room his favorite sport a happy end the point of collapse

---

From: [email-masked] (Miranda von Dornum)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 1994 05:17:12 GMT

I make a lot of sushi too and use some combination of the following:
cucumber slices
avocado
nasubi (pickled eggplant)
gourd strips (buy them dried and soak before using)
pickled ginger

I'm sure thin strips of extra firm tofu would work.

and for what it's worth, a Japanese friend of mine told me that
everything in a roll should have its own color, and to always
use 3 or 5 ingredients (not 4, bad luck).

I'd love to hear other suggestions.

Miranda
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Miranda von Dornum)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 1994 05:17:12 GMT

Miranda
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Otruba)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 1994 05:17:19 GMT

>Subject says it all. I love sushi, but I don't eat fish or eggs.
Since I haven't seen any responses I'll put my 2 cents in.

These are ones I've encountered in my sushi eating hedonism.  It's a
mixture of english and japanese names (when I don't know the english)

A classic is shitake mushrooms, dobo (I forget which vegetable this is),
cucumbers, pickled burdock root (looks like a long skinny carrot),
various japanese pickled vegetables and it's interesting to use a little
daikon for seasoning.

Hope this helps...SteveO 

*********************************************************************
*                                                                   *
*  Steve Otruba      [email-masked]   GO 1. FC Kaiserslautern     *
*  "What's all this brew ha ha..."      GO NY Yankees               * 
*                                                                   *
*********************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Kam's Standalone Account)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 1994 17:56:46 GMT

Yes, Japanese pickled vegetables are available
canned or in other forms. Very tasty.
Also, try cucumbers, green onion, and
sesame oil. 

Lightly steamed carrot is good, as
is seitan strips. You could presumeably
steam any vegetable, slice in strips, and
roll 'em up.

Making me hungry ...

Kam Kashani
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Tanya Heikkinen)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 1994 15:22:11 GMT

>steam any vegetable, slice in strips, and

I steam my carrots in vinegar - gives them a little extra flavor.