1) Pass a long piece of fine string underneath the tail. Bring the ends of the string up around each leg and cross the ends over the top.
2) Bring the string under the drumsticks and pull both ends to pull the legs together. Draw the ends of the string along either side of the chicken and over the wing joints.
3) Turn the chicken onto its breast, cross the string over the neck skin, and tighten to pull the wings to the body
4) Tie the strings securely so the chicken will keep its shape during cooking and be easier to carve.
5) Turn the chicken onto its back again, it is now ready to cook.