The bit that the tourists (and very few locals) have ever seen. Mary King's close, a medieval street under the Royal Mile. Sealed off in 1670. Not generally open to the public, but groups can book access by arrangement by calling John Wilson on 031- 662 0039 (early evenings). Access is through the City Chambers. The section is 60 metres long, steep, slippery and full of ghosts (!). John's tour's get booked up several weeks in advance. They last about three hours and are generally midweek starting about 7pm. The tour covers both the Close and the City Chambers. A donation of 3 pounds is requested for the tour. John is a councillor with an interest in local history. Bob Morton also does tours, but these just cover the Close. Sometimes it is possible to find a spare slot or two on an existing tour. About 30 people are catered for at a time.
To the Gaelic Homepage