Commission of Fine ArtsDepartment of the Interior Building, Eighteenth and C Streets NW.
REpublic 1820, Branch 2097
COMMISSIONERS Chairman Gilmore D. Clarke William F. Lamb Henry V. Poor Paul P. Cret Ralph Stackpole John A. Holabird David Edward Finlet Secretary and Administrative Officer H.P. Caemmerer
Creation and Authority.--The Commission of Fine Arts was created by the act of Congress approved May 17, 1910 (36 Stat. 317; 40 U.S.C. 104, 106) and its duties were increased by provisions contained in the Shipstead-Luce Act of May 16, 1930 (46 Stat. 366; 40 U.S.C. 121).
Purpose.--As the official advisory body of the Government upon matters of art, the Commission makes recommendations concerning the artistic aspects of the design and location of public statues, fountains, monuments, and similar projects of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia. It renders advice in the selection of both models and artists for the execution of such works, upon the artistic merits of designs for medals, insignia, and coins, and upon all other questions of art with which the Federal Government is concerned. It is charged with the artistic consideration and approval of plans for public buildings and parks in the District of Columbia, and has control over certain parts of the District of Columbia in the matter of private buildings.
Organization.--The Commission is composed of seven "well-qualified judges of the fine arts," who are appointed by the President for 4-year terms, to serve until their successors are appointed and qualified.
Gilmore D. Clarke
Table of Contents