The Offensive Continued
1. Hitler Ltr, 8 Jul quoted in OB WEST Ltr, 8 Jul AGp Ia Fuehrer Befehle; ONI Fuehrer Conf, 9 JUI; MS # P-069 (Kreipe); OB WEST KTB, 10 Jul.
2. Eisenhower to Montgomery, 7 JUI SGS SHAEF File 381, OVERLORD, I (a).
3. Montgomery to Eisenhower, 8 Jul, SGS SHAEF File 381, OVERLORD I (a).
4. Bradley, Soldier's Story, p. 339; Marshal of the RAF, Sir Arthur Harris, Bomber Offensive (London: Collins, 1947), p. 210.
5. Capt Butcher (USNR), Diary, 29 Jun 44, Pogue Files.
6. Montgomery, Normandy to the Baltic, pp. 113ff; Stacey, The Canadian Army, pp. 187ff; [Robert W. Ackerman], Employment of Strategic Bombers in a Tactical Role, 1941-1951, USAF Hist Study 88 (Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama, Air University, 1953), p. 86; Harris, Bomber Offensive, p. 211.
7. OB WEST KTB, Anlagen 536 and 537.
8. Conf, Rommel and Eberbach, 2100, 8 Jul, and Telecon, Rommel and Gause, 1115, 9 Jul, Pz Gp West KTB; Telecons, Rommel to Kluge, 0655, 9 Jul, Speidel to Blumentritt, 0950, 9 Jul, Eberbach to Tempelhoff, 0910, 11 Jul, AGp B KTB; Eberbach to Rommel, 10 Jul, Pz Gp W KTB, Anlage 104; Map dated 10 Jul, OKW WFSt Op (H), Lage West, Stand 9 V11.44; OB WEST KTB, 9 Jul.
9. Ltr, Eisenhower to Montgomery, 10 Jul, SGS SHAEF File 38 1, Opn OVERLORD, I (a) .
10. 21 AGp Dir, M-510, 10 Jul; Montgomery, Normandy to the Baltic, p. 120.
11. Bradley, Soldier's Story, p. 329; FUSA Opns Instrs, 8 Jul.
12. VIII Corps FO 7, 7 Jul, and AAR, Jul.
13. 79th Div Telecon, 2330, 7 Jul, Vlll Corps G-3 Jnl File; Msg, 28th Inf to 8th Div, 0705, 8 Jul, 8th Div G-3 Jnl and File.
14. 314th Infantry Regiment, Through Combat, p. 22; Wyche Diary; 79th Div AAR, Jul; VIII Corps G-3 Jnl File, 7 and 8 Jul; 8th Div G-3 Jnl, 8 and 9 Jul.
15. 8th Div G-3 Jnl, 8 Jul, and entry 2400, 9 Jul; 90th Div Msg, 1105, 8 Jul, and VIII Corps Msg, 0940, 9 Jul, VIII Corps G-3 Jnl and File; CI 47 (8th Div); 357th Inf Jnl, entry 1017, 9 Jul; Sylvan Diary, 10 Jul.
16. 8th Div G-3 Jnl, entries 1810, 8 Jul, and 1540, 9 Jul.
17. General Walker was posthumously awarded the DSC.
18. VIII Corps Msg, 1430, 12 Jul, 8th Div Msg, 1800, 12 Jul, and Jnl, entry 1900, 12 Jul, 8th Div G-3 Jnl File; CI 47 (8th Div). Capt. Harry L. Gentry, an artillery officer who took command of leaderless infantry soldiers during an attack, 1st Lt. William L. Pryor, who singlehandedly covered the withdrawal of his company, and Pfc. Leo T. Zingale were awarded the DSC for their actions on 10 July. Pfc. Walter S. Wanielista, for his actions on 10 July, and Sgt. Harry Weiss (posthumously), for his singlehanded capture of a pillbox on 13 July, also received DSC's.
19. T/5 John G. Prentice of the 125th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, for remaining in his tank though it had been set ablaze by an enemy shell and continuing to fire his gun until killed by a second direct hit, was awarded the DSC.
20. 79th Div AAR, Jul; Wyche Diary; FUSA Daily Estimated Loss Rpt.
21. 315th Engr C Bn Jnl, Jul; 82d Abn Div AAR, Jun and Jul.
22. Taylor Notes on Mont Castre, ML-1071. Lt. Col. Jacob W. Bealke, Jr., and Capt. John W. Marsh received the DSC, the latter posthumously, for their actions this day.
23. Pfc. Theodore G. Wagner, who crawled forward alone to destroy a key machine gun emplacement with grenades, was awarded the DSC.
24. 1st Lt. Hubert G. Miller, a company commander who though wounded took command of a leaderless battalion, and Lt. Col. Frederick H. Loomis, who led four tanks and ten men in a successful attack, received the DSC.
25. 90th Div AAR, Jul; FUSA Daily Estimated Loss Rpts, Jul.
26. Telecons, Pemsel to Speidel, 1315, 13 Jul, and Choltitz to Pemsel, 1930, 13 July, Seventh Army Tel Msgs; Telecons, Speidel and Zimmerman, 1635 and 1700, 13 Jul, AGp B KTB; OB WEST KTB, 13 Jul, and Anlagen 611 and 612.
27. VII Corps AAR, Jul, FO 5, 9 Jul (and Annex 2).
28. CI 30 (4th Div); 4th Div AAR, Jul.
29. The following is taken from the telephone messages in the 83d Division G-2, G-3 Journal.
30. VII Corps Msg, 1020, 10 Jul, FUSA G-3 Jnl.
31. 331st Inf AAR, Jul; 746th Tk Bn Rpt, 10 Jul, 83d Div G-2, G-3 Jnl File.
32. VIII Corps G-3 Per Rpt 33, 18 Jul.
33. CI 30 (4th Div).
34. See Brereton, Diaries, p. 307.
35. MS # B-455 (Ziegelmann); Telecons, Pemsel and Meindl, 1800, 7 Jul, Hausser and Rommel 1935, 7 Jul, Criegern and Pemsel, 1945, 7 Jul, Seventh Army Tel Msgs; Pemsel and Meindl, 1910, 7 Jul, AGp B KTB.
36. Telecons, Rommel and Hausser, 1930, 7 Jul, unidentified, 2005, 7 Jul, Kluge and Rommel, 2020, 7 Jul, and Pemsel and Speidel, 2350, 8 Jul, AGp B KTB; OB WEST KTB, 7 and 8 Jul.
37. Hodgson, R-54, contains a detailed account of the German resistance.
38. FUSA Opns Instrs, 8 Jul; VII Corps FO 5, 9 Jul; Ltr, Corlett to OCMH, 19 Jan 54; Sylvan Diary, 8 Jul.
39. Ltr, Eisenhower to Marshall, 5 Jul, Pogue Files.
40. 12th AGp Immed Rpt 23, 9 Aug.
41. 9th Div G-3 Jnl, 0005, 0040, 11 Jul, and AAR, Jul; FUSA G-3 Jnl, 0600, 11 Jul, and G-2 per Rpt 31, 11 Jul .
42. Pz Lehr F0, 10 Jul, in Pz Lehr Div Ib KTB; Seventh Army KTB, 10 Jul; 3d Armd Div CCB G-2 Daily Narrative, 7-16 Jul.
43. See below, Chapter VIII, for the II Parachute Corps feint down the east bank of the Vire River.
44. 9th Div G-3 Jnl, 0305, 0515, 0525, 11 Jul.
45. Capt. James D. Allgood and 1st Lt. William F. Squire of the 47th Infantry received the DSC for their efforts in repelling the counterattack. T/3 Henry J. Kucharski of the Medical Detachment, 47th Infantry, when unable to render aid because of fire, ripped off his Red Cross armband and waved it in front of him as he advanced toward wounded men. The enemy recognized his mission and halted fire. When a German officer approached, Kucharski sued for and secured a thirtyminute truce, time for him to treat and evacuate American casualties. He received the DSC.
46. 2d Lt. Richard A. Kirsting of the 216th Engineer Combat Battalion was awarded the DSC for heroic action that resulted in the capture of forty Germans.
47. As army engineers manipulated the Carentan locks on 14 July in an attempt to drain the flooded areas of the Cotentin, the Vire River water level descended so rapidly that it endangered the temporary bridge and made additional trestling necessary. XIX Corps Engr Sec Jnl and Sitreps, XIX Corps AAR, Jul.
48. VII Corps Msgs, 1100, 1230, 1505, 2300, 11 Jul, USA G-3 Jnl File; 3d Armd Div CCB G-2 Daily Narrative, 7-16 Jul.
49. Telcon, Pemsel to Tempelhoff, 1000, 15 Jul, Seventh Army Tel Msgs; Rommel to Kluge, 15 Jul, OB WEST KTB, Anlage 646.
50. 90th Div G-3 Jnl File, 11 and 12 Jul, and AAR, Jul; [Garth], St.-Lô, pp. 36-42; Hodgson, R-54; Pz Lehr F0, 11 Jul, Pz Lehr Div Ib KTB.
51. Seventh Army KTB, 12 Jul; OB WEST KTB, 6 Jul; Telecons, 1030, 5 Jul, AGp B KTB; Msg, 1900, 5 Jul, AGp B Op. Befehle; Telecons, Helmdach and Tempelhofl, 1000, 6 Jul, Zimmerman and Tempelhoff, 2345, 6 Jul, AGp B KTB; Telecons, Tempelhotff and Helmdach, 0015, 7 Jul, Pemsel and Zoeller, 0630, 7 Jul, Hausser and Rommel, 2245, 11 Jul, Seventh Army Tel Msgs.
52. Telecons, Corlett and Hobbs, 1422, 1507, 1614, 11 Jul.
53. Panzer Lehr FO, 11 Jul, Panzer Lehr Div Ib KTB; Seventh Army KTB (Draft), 11-13 Jul.
54. 899th TD Bn Opn Rpt, Jan-Dec 44.
55. 9th Div G-3 Jnl, 0415, 15 Jul, and AAR, Jul; 15th Engr C Bn Opns Rpts 25 and 26, 14 and 15 Jul; VII Corps AAR, Jul.
56. Hobbs Telecons, 1657 and 1853, 15 Jul, Collins and Hobbs, 1250, 16 Jul, 30th Div G-3 Jnl and File; see 30th Div G-3 Jnl, 13 Jul.
57. Telecon, Corlett and Hobbs, 1507, 1l Jul; 3d Armd Div CCB S-3 Rpt 1, 1l Jul; 743d Tk Bn Unit Rpts 7 and 8, 10 and 11 Jul. All in 30th Div Jnl and File. FUSA Daily Estimated Loss Rpt, Jul. Capt. John S. Milligan, Jr., of the 197th Field Artillery Battalion was awarded the DSC.
58. 35th Div Arty Unit Rpt 4, 35th Div Arq AAR, Jul 30th Div G-3 Jnl and File, 11-14 Jul.
59. Est of Situation, 12 Jul, Seventh Army KTB.
60. 9th and 30th Div AAR's, Jul.
61. FUSA Msg, 2015, 16 Jul, XIX Corps G-3 Jnl and File.
62. 9th Div AAR, Jul.
63. FUSA Daily Estimated Loss Rpts, Jul; 30th Div G-3 Jnl, 1935, 15 Jul, 2335, 17 Jul; Telecon, Collins and Hobbs, 1600, 17 Jul, 30th Div G-3 Jnl and File.