Appendix VIII
Medal of Honor Winners

Corporal Charles J. Berry, 1st Battalion, 26th Marines. During a nighttime hand-grenade duel with infiltrating Japanese, he threw himself to cover an exploding enemy missile with his body, saving his comrades from serious injury. (3 March 1945)* Private First Class William R. Caddy, 3d Battalion 26th Marines. When an enemy grenade fell in a shell hole he occupied with two other Marines, he smothered the explosion with his body, protecting his comrades from serious injury. (3 March 1945)*

*Indicates posthumous award.


Lieutenant Colonel Justice M. Chambers, 3d Battalion, 25th Marines. Exposing himself repeatedly to enemy fire, he inspired his men by fearless example and aggressive leadership during the first bloody days until, seriously wounded, he was evacuated. (19-22 February 1945) Captain Robert H. Dunlap, 1st Battalion, 26th Marines. Crawling 200 yards ahead of his lines, he located the source of intense enemy fire. He then manned an exposed vantage point without respite for two days and nights to direct fire against the positions. (20-21 February 1945)
Sergeant Darrell S. Cole, 1st Battalion, 23d Marines. When his unit was held up by five enemy pillboxes, he made a daring attack armed only with a pistol and hand grenades, singlehandedly destroying the hostile positions before he was killed by an enemy grenade. (19 February 1945)* Sergeant Ross F. Gray, 1st Battalion, 25th Marines. When his platoon was held up by pillboxes and a mine field, he singlehandedly cleared a path through the mines, attacking and destroying six positions and more than 25 enemy soldiers. (21 February 1945)


Sergeant William G. Harrell, 1st Battalion, 28th Marines. During a night infiltration, he ordered his wounded comrades to safety and despite his own serious wounds, waged a lone battle against a determined enemy until evacuated at dawn. (3 March 1945) Private First Class Douglas T. Jacobson, 3d Battalion, 23d Marines. Employing his bazooka with deadly accuracy, he braved heavy enemy fire to singlehandedly destroy 16 positions and kill approximately 75 Japanese. (26 February 1945)
Lieutenant Rufus G. Herring, USNR, LCI(G) 449. Thrice wounded and suffering from loss of blood, he propped himself against empty shell cases to direct aid for the wounded and steered his shattered and burning gunboat to safety. (17 February 1945) Platoon Sergeant Joseph R. Julian, 1st battalion, 27th Marines. When his company was halted by fire from a series of mutually supporting pillboxes, he executed a fearless one-man assault, knocking out several positions before he fell. (9 March 1945)*


Private First Class James D. La Belle, 27th Marines. Occupying a foxhole with two other Marines, he saw a grenade fall beyond his reach in the hole. Shouting a warning, he leaped to cover the missile, protecting the others from serious injury. (8 March 1945)* Private FIrst Class Jacklyn H. Lucas, 1st Battalion, 26th Marines. When two grenades landed in front if a group of Marines, he leaped over the others, landing on one and sweeping the other under him to smother both missiles, protecting his comrades from serious injury. (20 February 1945)
Second Lieutenant John H. Leims, 1st Battalion, 9th Marines. Having extricated his company from precarious advanced positions, he made two trips forward through darkness and withering machine-gun fire to rescue wounded men from a death trap. (7 March 1945) First Lieutenant Jack Lummus, 2d Battalion, 27th Marines. Advancing with his platoon against a network of hostile positions, he moved boldly ahead, singlehandedly destroying three pillboxes. Ignoring serious wounds he led his men until killed by a land mine. (8 March 1945)*


Captain Joseph J. McCarthy, 2d Battalion, 24th Marines. Leading a picket assault group against a heavily fortified ridge, he exposed himself repeatedly to hurl grenades into enemy emplacements. Then rallying the rest of his company, he led a full scale attack, capturing the ridge. (21 February 1945) Private George Phillips, 2d Battalion, 28th Marines. Shouting a warning to his comrades when a grenade landed in their midst, he threw himself to cover the explosion, protecting them from serious injury. (14 March 1945)*
First Lieutenant Harry L. Martin, 5th Pioneer Battalion. When Japanese infiltrated his unit's bivouac, he organized a defense and, despite severe wounds, led a counterattack, assaulting an enemy position alone, armed with a pistol, killing all its occupants before he fell mortally wounded. (26 March 1945)* Private First Class Donald J. Ruhl, 2d Battalion, 28th Marines. Climaxing three days of aggressive and heroic action against the enemy, he covered a Japanese grenade with his body, protecting his comrades from serious injury. (19-21 February 1945)*


Private Franklin E. Sigler, 2d Battalion, 26th Marines. Taking command of his leaderless squad, he led a bold charge, then, disregarding his own wounds, he carried three comrades to safety, returning to fight on until ordered to retire for treatment. (14 March 1945) Pharmacist's Mate Second Class George E. Wahlen, 2d Battalion, 26th Marines. Painfully wounded on three days, he disregarded injuries and enemy fire to aid numerous casualties. Unable to walk after his third wound, he crawled 50 yards to care for still another fallen Marine. (3 March 1945)
Corporal Tony Stein, 1st Battalion, 28th Marines. Armed with a personally improvised rapid-fire weapon, he charged pillboxes one by one, killing 20 enemy in his singlehanded assault. Exposing himself constantly to deliver effective fire against the enemy (19 February 1945) Gunnery Sergeant William G. Walsh, 3d Battalion, 27th Marines. After leading his platoon in two daring assaults, he smothered an exploding grenade with his body to save the men around him from serious injury. (27 February 1945)*


Private Wilson D. Watson, 2d Battalion, 9th Marines. After a singlehanded assault in which he destroyed a pillbox, he scaled a ridge line and standing erect fired his automatic rifle against attacking Japanese, killing 60 enemy before expending all his ammunition. (26 and 27 February 1945). Corporal Hershel W. Williams, 21st Marines. Covered by four riflemen, he fought a lone 4-hour battle to wipe out one pillbox after another, neutralizing one of the most stubborn strong points encountered by his regiment. (23 February 1945)


Table of Contents ** Previous Appendix (VII) * Next Appendix (IX)

Transcribed and formatted by Patrick Clancey, HyperWar Foundation