JC GASES AND GAS CONTAINERS..
JC11 Compressed air.
JE OFFICER'S MESS.
JE4 Junior officers' (steerage).
JE5 Warrant officer's.
JE6 Chief petty officer's.
JF SHIP STORES AND CANTEENS AND THEIR PROFITS.
JH WATER AND ICE.
The following Classification Index of Naval Stores and Material designates those classes under which the great majority of naval material falls.
For filing purposes in many activities by combining JJ (Material) with the class number, a file symbol can be obtained which will suffice for correspondence of a general nature. Further individual classification of materia] can be obtained by referring to the Index of Naval Specifications, the latest issue of which is available in the Supply Department of the nearest navy yard or naval station. These specification numbers preceded by the JJ (Material) symbol will give the complete file number for any particular commodity.
Specific symbols for certain commodities will be found in the JA to JZ group. These numbers for general correspondence should be used as they appear in the classification. For example: Helium--JC7; Iron and Steel JJ46-1.
Test reports on material and apparatus should be filed under the material groups, "Ships--S," "Shore--N," and "Aircraft--F," unless they are common to all, such as hose, metals, fuels, etc.
CLASSIFICATION INDEX OF NAVAL STOKES AND MATERIALS.
- Guns (anti-aircraft; boat; coast-defense: drill; field; machine; main battery; secondary battery; siege): Gun mounts; instruments (fire-control; optical); and their parts.
- Arms, Small: and all accessories, outfits and parts.
- Mines: Nets; Torpedoes: Torpedo-tubes; and all accessories, outfits and parts.
- Ammunition: Ammunition-details; blasting-apparatus; bombs.
- Flags: bunting.
- Anchors: Anchor-chains; and other ground-tackle (boat and ship).
- Fuel: Charcoal; coal, Coke; Dust-fuels; gas; gasoline; Oil (fuel); wood, etc.
- Motor-Vehicles: Bicycles; trailers; and all accessories, outfits, and parts.
- Boilers and Engines (boat; power): and all accessories, outfits, and parts.
- Pumps: and their parts.
- Boat and Ship-Fittings.
- Engine-Boom and Fire-Room-Fittings, Supplies, and Tools.
- Oils (illuminating and lubricating): Greases; and all lubricants.
- Electric-Cable and Wire (insulated).
- Radio and Sound-5ignal-Apparatus: and all accessories, outfits, and parts.
- Electric-Apparatus: and all accessories, outfits, and parts.
- Instruments or Precision: and all accessories, outfits, and parts.
- Blocks; Bigging: and all accessories, outfits, and parts.
- Cordage: hemp; jute; oakum; twine; including manufactured articles.
- Rope, Wire; and Wire, Bare: including manufactured articles.
- Boat and Ship-Utensils.
- Duck, Canvas; Tentage: including manufactured articles.
- Tobacco-Products: Cigars; cigarettes; and all accessories, outfits, and supplies.
- Dry-Goods; Textiles: Bedding; buttons; curtains; cushions; draperies; findings; floor- coverings; linoleum; notions; oilcloth; trimmings; upholstery-materials; yarns; etc.
- Toilet-Articles: and all accessories, outfits, and parts.
- Bathroom and Toilet-Fixtures: and all accessories, outfits, and parts.
- Lighting-Apparatus (nonelectric): and all accessories, outfits and parts.
- Fire-5urfacing and Heat-Insulating-Material.
- Gaskets; Hose; Packing; Rubber (sheet and strip): Hose-fittings; tubing (flexible); including manufactured articles.
- Leather: Belting; harness; saddlery; including manufactured leather articles.
- Books: Blueprints; charts; drawings; libraries; maps; newspapers; periodicals; professional-publications; etc.
- Musical Instruments: Music; and all accessories, outfits and parts.
- Athletic-Equipment; Recreational-Apparatus; Sporting-Goods: Special wearing.
- Brooms; Brushes.
- Lumber: Timber (barrels; boxes; cases; crates); Wooden; railroad-ties; including manufactured lumber.
- Tools, Machine (bending-rolls: drop-hammers; drills; grinders: Lathes; milling-ma- chines; planers; presses; punches; riveters; rolling-machines; saws; shears, etc.), and all accessories, outfits, and parts.
- Tools, Hand.
- Hardware (builders'; general).
- Bolts; Nuts; Rivets; Screws; Washers.
- Pipe; Tubes; Tubing (nonflexible).
- Metal in Bars (flat; hexagon; octagon; round; square): Billets; ingots; pigs; slabs.
- Metal in Plates and Sheets.
- Metal-5hafes (angles; channels; half-rounds; I-beams; T's; Z's, etc.)<; Structural-metal.
- Now classes 80 to 90 inclusive.
- Foundry-Apparatus: and all accessories, outfits and supplies.
- Acids; Chemicals; Drugs; Gases; Soaps: Abrasive-materials; cleaning, cutting and) polishing-compounds.
- Paints: Paint-ingredients.
- Stationery: Bags, paper; books, blank; boxes; paper; cartons; drafting-room, office and printers' supplies.
- Office-Equipment: Adding-machines; cash-registers; numbering-machines; typewriters; etc.
- Textile-Clothing; Knitted-Goods.
- Food: Groceries; ice; provisions; subsistence.
- Hospital, laboratory and Surgical-Apparatus: and all accessories, outfits, parts and supplies.
- Railway, Dock and Yard-Equipment: including fire-fighting-apparatus.
- Building-Material: Asphalt; bricks; cement; granite; gravel; lime; mill-work; roofing- material; sand; stone; tar; tiling, etc.
- Boilers and Engines (power-plant; ship), and all accessories, outfits, and parts.
- Gyro-Compasses: and all accessories, outfits and parts.
- Articles of Special Value: Bullion; jewelry; museum-collections; paintings; precious metals and stones; statuary; works of art, etc.
- Tableware (barracks; crew's mess; hospital; hotel; officers' mess; ship-saloon): Aluminumware; chinaware; corrosion-resisting-steel-ware; glassware; silverware.
- Bake-5hop and Kitchen-Apparatus and Utensils: Aluminum-utensils; corrosion resisting-steel-utensils; galley-gear; tinware; and all accessories, outfits, and parts.
- Ovens, Ranges and Stoves: and all accessories, outfits, and parts.
- Machinery: and equipment.
- Forage: Bulbs and roots; plants, shrubs, and trees; seeds.
- Vehicles (animal and band-drawn); and all accessories, outfits, and parts.
- Agricultural-Implements: and all accessories, outfits, and parts.
- Badges; Insignia; Medals, etc.
- Boots; Shoes: Leather and rubber-clothing.
- Caps; Hats: Gloves; men's and women's-furnishings.
- Individual-Equipment (field arid landing-force).
- Engines (boat, Diesel); and all accessories, outfits, and parts.
- Airplanes; Complete (without engines).
- Major-Structural-Spares-and Assemblies; Airplane.
- Minor-Structural-Spares-and-Parts; Airplane.
- Accessories-and-Equipment and parts thereof; airplane and special-airplane too!s.
- Engines; Airplane (with or without accessories).
- Parts, Engine; Airplane (and special airplane engine tools).
- Accessories and Parts; Engine, Airplane.
- Propellers; Airplane (including hubs, control units, accessory control equipment and parts).
- Instruments, Aeronautical (and parts thereof).
- Arresting-Launching and Handling-Gear, Aeronautical (and parts thereof).
- Airships, Lighter-Than-Air (and parts strictly peculiar thereto).
JJ7-3 Fuel oil.
JJ7-4 Diesel oil.
JJ7-7 Alcohol (fuel).
JJ7-9 Refineries, oil.
JJ7-10 Shale oil.
JJ7-12 Crude oil.
JJ7-13 Gas, natural and others.
JJ40 MACHINE TOOLS, GENERAL.
(See S91 for ship tools.)
(See N34 for tools used for shore-station maintenance and improvements.)
Tools for specific shops to be filed under shop file number.
JJ41 HAND TOOLS.
JJ46 METALS (BY COMPOSITION).
JJ46-1 Iron and steel.
JJ46-6 Aluminum and light alloys (aluminum, duralumin magnesium).
JJ46-7 Antifriction metals, (babbitt metals, etc.).
JJ46-8 Brasses and bronzes.
JJ46-10 Nickel alloys (Monel metal, etc.).
JJ46-13 Bullion, precious metal.
JJ52 PAINTS AND VARNISHES.
JJ52-1 Paints, general.
JJ52-2 Paints, Government manufacture.
JJ52-3 Paints, proprietary.
JJ52-4 Paint ingredients.
JJ52-5 Varnishes and shellacs.
JJ52-6 Paint and varnish removers.
JJ55 CLOTHING, UNIFORMS, OUTFITS, AND SMALL STORES.
Civilian clothing for discharged prisoners
Protection clothing (See P2-3 and S77-2.)
JJ55-2 Outfits on first enlistment.
Insignia on uniforms.
Unauthorized wearing of uniforms.
JJ55-4 Small stores.
JJ56 PROVISIONS, GENERAL MESS, AND COMMISSARY STORES.
JJ56-2 General mess.
JJ56-3 Commissary stores.
JJ56-5 Beverages, alcoholic and nonalcoholic.
For rations and subsistence, See L16-8.
JJ59 BUILDING MATERIALS, SHORE.
JJ59-1 Soda lime.
JJ59-2 Terra cotta.
JJ59-5 Granite, stone, marble, etc.
JJ59-6 Sand and gravel.
JJ59-7 Waterproofing material.
JJ59-8 Wall board and plaster substitutes.
JJ59-9 Blasting materials, dynamite, nitroglycerine, etc.
JL APPROPRIATION PURCHASE ACCOUNT MATERIAL.
JM USED MATERIAL.
JN RESERVE MATERIAL (NAVY).
JO NAVAL SUPPLY ACCOUNT MATERIAL.
JP RESERVE MATERIAL (OTHER THAN NAVY).
JR REFUSE MATERIALS.
JS SCRAP METALS.