Ships of the U.S. Navy, 1940-1945
APA-100 USS Mendocino
- Bayfield Class Attack Transport:
- Maritime Commission C3-S-A2 type fitted to carry fully equipped Army and Navy units.
- Vehicles and heavy stores are stowed in the lower hold.
- Troops are quartered in upper cargo spaces.
- About 20 landing craft are carried topside.
- Displacement: 16,100 tons (full load)
- Length: 492'
- Beam: 69'6"
- Draft: 28'6"
- Speed: 18 knots
- Complement: 588
- Troops: 1,740
- Geared turbine engines; single screw; 8,500 hp
- Built at Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp., Pascagoula, Miss., and commissioned 31 October 1944
U.S. Navy Attack Transports, 1940-1945
Ships of the U.S. Navy, 1940-45
January 8, 2001