Ships of the U.S. Navy, 1940-1945
APA-120 USS Hinsdale
- Haskell Class Attack Transport:
- Displacement: 14,800 tons (full load)
- Length: 455'
- Beam: 62'
- Speed: 16.5 knots
- Armament: 1 5"/38 DP; 4x2 40mm; 1x4 40mm; 10 20mm
- Complement: 536
- Troop capacity: approx. 1,600
- Capacity: 2 LCM(3); 21-22 LCVP; 1-2 LCP(L); 1 LCP(R)
- Engines: Geared turbine, single screw, 8,500 shaft h.p.
- Maritime Commission VC2-S-AP5 "Victory" type modified to carry fully equipped Army and Marine Units. Vehicles and heavy stores are stowed in the lower holds. Troops are quartered in upper cargo spaces. About 20 landing craft are carried topside.
- Built at California Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Calif., and commissioned 15 October 1944
The Beach Party
Can you find the spot where the kamikaze hit?
Ships of the U.S. Navy, 1940-45: Transports
Ships of the U.S. Navy, 1940-45
October 8, 2000