Ships of the U.S. Coast Guard, 1940-1945

WPG-85 Gresham

Additional Links:

Designed for service on the Great Lakes by the revenue Cutter Service, a predecessor of the Guast Guard. Sold for scrapping 22 April 1935, but reacquired on 21 January 1943 due to wartime needs. Renovated by General Ship Repair Co., Baltimore, Md., and commissioned 25 March 1943. Assigned to EASTSEAFRON at New York and used for coastal escort duties. Decommissioned 7 April 1944, due to poor condition; turned over to War Shipping Administration and sold in 1945.

Return to Ships of the U.S. Navy, 1940-45: Cutters

Return to Ships of the U.S. Navy & Coast Guard, 1940-1945

Last updated: March 12, 2000

Feedback: corrections, additions, and comments are welcome!

Compiled and formatted by Patrick Clancey
(see the Main Page for sources and methodology)