An island off the southwest coast of Cape Cod, Mass.
(IX-97: t. 141 (gr.); l. 138'0"; b. 16'; dph. 8'9"; cpl. 11)
Martha's Vineyard (IX-97) was built as a motor yacht by the Charles L. Seabury Co., Consolidated, new York, N.Y., in 1911; acquired by the Navy under the name Thelma from George A. Miller, Jr., New London, Conn., 11 January 1943; renamed Martha's Vineyard 23 January 1943; converted by Brewer's Drydock Co., Staten Island, N.Y.; and placed in service 30 March 1943, Lt. William W. Bayton, USNR, in command.
Assigned to the 3d Naval District, Martha's Vineyard
On 18 April 1946 Martha's Vineyard decommissioned and was stripped at New York Naval Shipyard before she was delivered 6 September of that year to WSA for return to her owner.
Transcribed and formatted for HTML by Patrick Clancey, HyperWar Foundation