LST-1001 was laid down on 18 April 1944 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 26 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Eva B. Rockett; and commissioned on 20 June 1944, Lt. Comdr. G.C. Masterson, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-1001 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-September 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 26 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June that same year. on 23 October 1946, the ship was sold to the New Orleans Shipwrecking Corp., Chicago, Ill., for scrapping.
LST-1001 earned one battle star for World War II service.