|An island off the coast of North Carolina.|
(LST-1085: dp. 1,625; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 14'1"; s. 11.6 k.; cpl. 119; a. 7 40mm., 12 20mm.; cl. LST-511)
The second Colington was launched 13 January 1945 by American Bridge Co., Ambridge, Pa.; and commissioned 21 February 1945 as LST-1085. After serving with the navy occupation forces in Asia after World War II [as well as the end of the Okinawa campaign--ports of call during 1945-46 included: Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Mobile, Panama Canal Zone, San Diego and Port Hueneme, Pearl Harbor, Kwajalein, Eniwetok, Guam, Saipan, Tinian , Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Yokohama and Tokyo], she was reclassified AG-148 on 27 January and named Colington on 1 February 1949. She was again reclassified to AKS-29 on 18 August 1951 and stricken from the Navy list 1 April 1960.