During World War II, LST-1097 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945. She was decommissioned on 19 December 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 27 January 1949, the ship was redesignated AG-149 and named League Island (q.v.). Recommissioned on 3 January 1951, the cargo stores ship performed service during the Korean War. Redesignated AKS-30, she continued service with the Pacific Fleet into 1956. Decommissioned again on 14 December 1956, League Island was struck from the Navy list on 1 April 1960 and sold for scrapping to the Hatch & Kirk Co., Seattle, Wash., on 24 April 1961.
LST-1097 earned one battle star for World War II service.
The site of the Navy Yard, Philadelphia, Pa., at the junction of the Schlylkill and Delaware Rivers.
(LST-1097: dp. 1,625; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 11'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 119; a. 2 40mm., 12 20mm.; cl. LST-511)
LST-1097 was laid down by Jeffersonville Bridge & Machinery Co., Jeffersonville, Ind., 22 November 1944; launched 16 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Susan A. Rash; and commissioned 9 February 1945; Lt. Earl j. Lane in command.
LST-1097 reported for duty to the Commander in Chief, Pacific Fleet, 27 March 1945. After a number of short voyages in the western Pacific, she participated in the Okinawa campaign from 21 May to 30 June. The ship entered Pearl Harbor Navy Yard in December for conversion t an Ordnance Spare Parts Barge, and remained there until March 1946. She steamed to Portland, Oreg., 21 November and decommissioned 19 December 1946.
On 27 January 1949 she was reclassified AG-149, and named League Island 1 February. Due to the Korean war buildup, she recommissioned 3 January 1951, Lt. R.E. Duppenthaler in command. She was converted to a cargo stores ship 17 January to 2 March by Bethlehem Pacific Coast Steel Corp., Oakland, Calif., and upon completion, moved to San Diego 24 March.
The ship departed for Japan 1 June to join ServRon 3 with whom she served from Sasebo and Yokosuka from June 1951 to August 1954. She was reclassified AKS-30 on 18 August 1951. During this period she carried out her mission of supplying spare parts to the fleet in the Far East in support of America's Korean commitment.
With the cessation of hostilities in Korea, the ship sailed to the Philippines to assist the 7th Fleet in the China Sea area. She served from Subic Bay, not returning to Japan until May 1955.
Early in 1956 she was back in the Philippines to continue logistic support for the 7th Fleet. She returned to Sasebo March 1956, and sailed for San Francisco 30 April. She decommissioned at Astoria, Oreg., 14 December 1956. Stricken from the Navy list 1 April 1960, she was sold 17 March 1961 to Hatch & Kirk Co., Seattle, Wash., and towed away for scrapping on 24 April 1961.
LST-1097 received one battle star for World War II service.