(LST-281: dp. 4,080 (full); l. 327'; b. 50'; dr. 8' (fwd), 14'4" (aft); sp. 11 k.; cpl. 211; a. 1 3", 1 40mm., 6 20mm.)
LST-281 was laid down on 25 June 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 30 September 1943; sponsored by mrs. Mary Richards; and commissioned on 8 November 1943.
During World War II, LST-281 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944, and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945.
Following the war, LST-281 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 9 march 1946 and transferred to the Shipping Control Authority, Japan, on 20 May 1949. She served with the Military Sea Transportation Service as USNS T-LST-281 from 31 March 1952 until struck from the Navy list on 19 May 1954 and sold.
LST-281 earned three battle stars for World War II service.