Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Office of the Chief of Naval Operations
Naval History Division Washington
LST-4 was laid down on 4 July 1942 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 9 October 1942; sponsored by Mrs. J. Bartolo; and commissioned on 14 February 1943.
During World War II, LST-4 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Sicilian occupation--July 1943
Salerno landings--September 1943
West coast of Italy operations--Anzio-Nettuno advanced landings--January and February 1944; June 1944
Invasion of southern France (including Elba)--August and September 1944
LST-4 was decommissioned sometime after World War II ended and was struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 10 September 1947, she was sold to the Boston Metals Co., of Baltimore, Md., for scrapping.
LST-4 earned four battle stars for World War II service.
Transcribed and formatted for HTML by Patrick Clancey