A branch of the Sioux Indian tribe living in Missouri.
(LSV-3: dp. 4,626; l. 458'; b. 60;' dr. 20'; s. 21 k.; cpl. 472; trp. 1,358; a. 2 5", 8 40mm., 20 20mm.; cl. Osage)
The second Osage was laid down as AN-3, 1 June 1942, by the Ingalls Shipbuilding Corp., Pasacagoula, Miss.; redesignated AP-108, 1 May 1943; launched 1 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. J.A. McHenry; redesignated LSV-3, 21 April 1944; and commissioned 30 December 1944, Capt. H.H. Keith in command.
Following shakedown off the Texas coast, Osage loaded CB units at New Orleans and steamed south to Panama, whence she continued on to Pearl Harbor for further amphibious training. On 17 March she sailed west with 10th Army units embarked. At Ulithi she joined TF 51 and continued on to Okinawa, arriving 11 April. Despite repeated enemy air attacks offloading was completed within 5 days and on the 16th she sailed for Saipan. Employed in shifting men and materiel in the Marianas for the next two months, she departed Guam 11 July for San Francisco. On 27 August she was underway for the western Pacific again. this time with replacement troops embarked. On 3 October she arrived in Tokyo Bay, and, after discharging her passengers and cargo at Yokohama, joined "Magic Carpet" to carry veterans back to the United States.
The new year, 1946, found Osage undergoing repairs at Portland, Ore., after which she was assigned to west coast duties while awaiting inactivation. On 1 May she departed San Pedro and transited the Panama Canal enroute to the 8th Naval District. After overhaul at Mobile, she was towed to Orange, Tex., decommissioning and joining the Atlantic Reserve Fleet there 16 May 1947. Reclassified MSC-3, 7 February 1955, she remained a unit of that fleet until struck from the Navy List and transferred to the Maritime Administration 1 September 1961. Since the, into 1970, she has been laid up at Beaumont as a unit of the National Defense Reserve Fleet.
Osage received one battle star for service in World War II.