|Firm or steadfast|
(AM-86: dp. 275; l. 17'8"; b. 23'; dr. 7'7"; s. 18 k.; a. 1 3"; cl. Adroit
The first Constant (AM-86) was launched 9 May 1942 by Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Oreg.; and commissioned 21 September 1942, Lieutenant R.C. Gloss, USNR, in command.
From 20 December 1942 to 4 March 1943 Constant escorted convoys between San Francisco and Pearl Harbor. She sailed from Pearl Harbor 8 March for Espiritu Santo, arriving 25 March for local escort duty, operating from Espiritu Santo and Noumea in support of the Guadalcanal operation. On 3 September 1943 she arrived at Tulagi and remained in the Solomons on interisland escort and minesweeping duty with occasional convoy voyages to Noumea and Espiritu Santo until 3 April 21944, when she steamed to Auckland, New Zealand for a brief overhaul. She returned to Port Purvis in the Solomons 13 May. On 1 June 1944 her name was canceled and she was reclassified PC-1590. She continued her service at Espiritu Santo, Noumea, Samoa and Tongatabu until 6 May 1946 when she returned to Pearl Harbor, where she was decommissioned 19 June 1946.
Assigned to the 14th Naval District for Naval Reserve training 28 October 1946, PC-1590 was placed in commission in reserve 5 May 1950, and in full commission from 20 March 1951 until decommissioned 22 October 1954. She was sunk as a target.