(AM-90: dp. 296; l. 173'8"; b. 23'; dr. 11'7"; s. 17 k.; cpl. 66; a. 1 3"; cl. Adroit)
The first Direct (AM-90) was launched 28 March 1942 by Dravo Corp., Pittsburgh, Pa.; sponsored by Miss Dana E. Erwin; and commissioned 31 August 1942, Lieutenant W. T. Denton in command.
Direct arrived at Bermuda 30 December 1942 for antisubmarine patrol and escort duty until arriving at New York 24 April 1944. On 16 May she began conversion to a submarine chaser patrol vessel at Norfolk, and on 1 June 1944 her name was canceled and she was reclassified PC-1594.
PC-1594 sailed from Norfolk 13 June 1944 for training off Bermuda. On 6 July she rendezvoused with a convoy bound for Bizerte, Tunisia, arriving on the 23d. A week later she departed for Naples, arriving 2 August for antisubmarine patrol and escort duty. She took part in the invasion of southern France 16 August and continued to serve on convoy and patrol duty in the Mediterranean from Palermo, Bizerte, and Oran until 27 May 1946 when she sailed for the United States. She arrived at Jacksonville, Fla., 16 June. She was decommissioned there 9 November 1946 and transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal 29 July 1946.
PC-1594 received one battle star for World War II service.