(PC-823: dp. 280; l. 173'8"; b. 23'; dr. 10'10"; s. 18 k.; cpl. 65; a. 1 3"/50; cl. PC-461)
USS PC-823, a 173-foot submarine chaser laid down at Sturgeon Bay, Wisc. on 8 Novemberr 1943 by Leathem D. Smith Coal and Ship Building Co.; launched 15 January 1944; and was commissioned 24 July 1944.
She served in the western Atlantic during World War II, being assigned to air-sea rescue duties during at least some of that time. PC-823 was decommissioned in February 1946 and transferred to the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy for use as a training ship, apparently receiving the name Ensign Whitehead. She was stricken from the Navy List in June 1948.