S-25 (SS-130) was laid down on 26 October 1918 by the Fore River Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass.; launched on 29 May 1922; sponsored by Mrs. Ross P. Schlabach; and commissioned on 9 July 1923, Lt. Comdr. George H. Fort in command.
Operating from New London, Conn., in 1923, S-25 participated in winter maneuvers in the Caribbean and Panama Canal Zone area from January into April 1924. Then transferred to the west coast, she operated primarily in the waters off southern California into 1931. Fleet problems and division exercises during that period took her back to Panama from March into May 1927 and in February 1929 and to Hawaii in 1927 1928, and 1930. Transferred again, she sailed from San Diego on 15 April 1931; arrived at Pearl Harbor on the 25th; and from then into 1939 operated in Hawaiian waters.
S-25 cleared Pearl Harbor to return to the Atlantic on 16 June of that year and arrived at New London on 25 August. Voyage repairs followed and in February 1940, she was assigned to a test and evaluation division there. In December, she was detached and ordered to Key West, where she provided training services into May 1941, then returned to New London to prepare for transfer under the terms of the Lend Lease Agreement.
S-25 was decommissioned on 4 November 1941, and transferred, simultaneously to Great Britain. Renamed HMS P. 551, she was then loaned to the government of Poland, in exile, and was accepted by Lt. Comdr. B. Romanowski of the Polish Navy and commissioned as Jastrzab [("Hawk") (P-551)]. Jastrzab was mistakenly sunk by Allied convoy escorts [HMS Seagull and Norwegian destroyer St. Albans] off Norway on 2 May 1942 [while assigned to escort the convoy from the Shetlands to Murmansk, at 71°30' N, 12°32'E].