An Indian tribe resident in Southern Connecticut, members of the Algonquian language grouping.
(WARC-58: dp. 1,106; l. 166'6"; b. 32'6"; dr. 13'3"; s. 13.5 k.; a. 2 3", 4 20mm.)
Pequot, built for the Coast Guard by American Brown Boveri Electrical Corp., Camden, N.J. in 1921, commissioned as a special craft 29 April 1922 at Camden. [Note: Coast Guard histories describe her as an ex-minelayer, General Samuel M. Mills.]
She was assigned permanent operations as a cable ship out of Boston, Mass., where she remained through the outbreak of World War II. When Executive Order 8929 of 1 November 1941 transferred the Coast Guard to the Navy, Pequot was assigned cable repair duty out of New London, Conn. [USCG: assigned to CG Headquarters, stationed at Boston, and used extensively to lay cables to remote stations.] She was reassigned to Norfolk, Va. before the end of hostilities, and she officially returned to the Coast Guard 1 January 1946. Pequot decommissioned 8 December 1946 and was sold for scrap 5 September 1947 to Potomac Shipwrecking Co., Inc. of Popes Creek, Md.