The Coast Guard At War
Transports and Escorts
Historical Section, Public Information Division
U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters
May 1, 1949
CGC Lotus (WAGL-229)
Lotus was built at Fabricated Shipbuilding Corp., Milwaukee, Wisc. as Army mine planter Colonel Albert Todd; commissioned 1920. In 1924 the ship was transferred to the US Light House Service and converted to a lighthouse tender.
From 1941 thru 1943, Lotus was assigned to the 1st Naval District and stationed at Chelsea, Massachusetts. She was used for A/N duty. In July 1941 she laid buoys and antisubmarine nets at Argentia, Newfoundland. From 1943 thru 1944, Lotus was assigned to the 10th Naval District, stationed at San Juan, Puerto Rico. In 1944 she was reassigned to the 5th Naval District, stationed at Norfolk, Virginia, where she finished the war.
Transcribed and formatted for HTML by Patrick Clancey