The Coast Guard At War
Transports and Escorts
Historical Section, Public Information Division
U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters
May 1, 1949
CGC Spruce (WAGL-246)
Spruce was built at New Orleans, La. as Army mine planter Colonel Garland N. Whistler; commissioned 1920. On 22 December 1923, the ship was transferred to the US Light House Service and converted to a lighthouse tender.
From 1941 thru 1945, Spruce was assigned to the 10th Naval District and stationed at San Juan, Puerto Rico. She was used for A/N duty.
Transcribed and formatted for HTML by Patrick Clancey