Receive Organic View newsletter via email!

SUBSCRIBE:
Interested in receiving Organic View, our free email newsletter, and
occasional action alerts that deal with national organics issues and
updates, including information on  Genetically Engineered food issues,
USDA's Second Round of Organic Standards, labeling of irradiated food and
more?
(Note: we have combined what was OCA's weekly updates and the bi-weekly
Organic View newsletter)

Only respond if you would like to be added to our email list to receive OV
and/or receive a free pkt. of information/flyers, otherwise you will not be
added to our lists. Reply to this email with "subscribe".

I apologize if this is a repeat message. Some of you may already be on one
of our lists and have received emails from me, if so, disregard this
message. If you had previously been receiving OCA's weekly updates
or Organic View, you will still be getting OV.

Organic View currently goes to over 5,000 coops, health food stores,
nutrition centers, activists, food buying clubs, CSA's, farmers markets,
organic farmers, organic consumers, health care professionals, organic
businesses and distributors, and organizations.  We also maintain an
international list.

In addition, to receive our monthly electronic newsletter Campaign
for Food Safety Newsletter (formly Food Bytes) see the instructions below
my signature.

The Organic Consumers Association - the OCA is a national grassroots
consumers campaign which grew out of the massive organic consumer response
to the USDA's first round of Organic Standards(over 270,000 comments were
submitted on the first round) in 1998. Many of us were part of the SOS/Save
Organic Standards Campaign. The OCA  has speakers (Ronnie Cummins, Debbie
Ortman, Ben Lilliston) available but we do need transportation/lodging
expenses paid for and an honorarium would be helpful. We are also available
for media interviews.

We are gearing up for the second round of USDA's Organic Standards and we
need your help in developing a network of consumers, coops/stores, farmers,
etc. The USDA will issue another proposed set of federal rules on Organic
Standards and we want organic consumers to be prepared to respond to this
second round. In fact, the USDA published an "issue/position paper" the end
of October, 1998 with comments due on December 14th(7,000 comments were
sent in). This was a precursor to the Second Round.  We have heard from
Washington that the USDA  will release the second round by the end of the
year, with a comment period that could be only 45 days.

We have free display packets and anti-GE petitions and fact sheets
available to send to you that include: 1 poster, 1 GE petition and fact
sheet (you can make more copies), counter top display holder, and 100
flyers to inform your members/consumers about the second round of USDA's
Organic Standards. Please let me know how many display packets you would
like me to send to you for your coop/store/buying
club/organizations/CSA/farmers market or event. For buying clubs and CSA's,
please let me know how many members you have so I can include enough
handouts to send you.

What else can you do to support Save Organic Standards?

***You can help recruit new subscribers to our newsletters by sending this
entire message out to everyone on your email lists.

Subscribe:
-  To learn more about genetic engineering and food politics, subscribe to
Campaign for Food Safety News,  our free online monthly alert. See under my
signature for instructions on how to subscribe to Campaign for Food Safety
News.

Volunteer:
- We need individuals to help identify coops/health stores in your area
that do not have our Save Organic Standards-SOS flyers and petitions. Send
us a contact name (manager), store name, address, telephone/fax numbers,
and email/website URL and we will send them a free pkt.
- Please send me your complete address, phone and fax so I can
add you to our data base and connect you with other activists in
your area.

Coordinators:
- We need regional and state coordinators that can help distribute anti GE
petitions and our SOS flyers to stores, organizations and groups that are
not hooked up to email  and that are not in our data base. You can help us
develop a local data base of activists and those interested in the issues
(for email, fax, and telephone "trees").  Make sure you visit our websites
on a regular basis for new articles and information.

Donations:
- We need donations to help pay for flyers and posters. Donations can be
sent to: OCA, 860 Highway 61, Little Marais, MN 55614
- Help organize a fundraising potluck and/or video showing (we have a
free video lending library).

Action:
- We need people to contact their elected Congressional senators and
representatives, the United States Department of Agriculture, the
President and Vice-President  about the importance of strong organic
standards.
president@whitehouse.gov(President Bill Clinton)
vice.president@whitehouse.gov (VP Al Gore)
agsec@usda.gov(Dan Glickman, Secretary of the US Department of Agriculture)
Main website for US Representatives: http://www.house.gov/
Main website for US Senate: http://www.senate.gov/
- Write letters to the editor on organic issues.
- Email this message to everyone on your email lists.

Also, please pass this message on to your email lists. We are trying to
build an email network that can quickly submit comments to the USDA /FDA
and elected officials about organic standards and organic issues.

Thanks for your support!
Thanks,
Debbie Dunbar Ortman
National Field Organizer
Organic Consumers Association
3547 Haines Rd.
Duluth, MN 55811
(218) 726-1443
(218) 726-1446 Fax
safefood@cp.duluth.mn.us
http://www.organicconsumers.org

Join the Organic Consumers Association in your local area.
If you want to become a member or a volunteer--or make a donation--call
(218)726-1443

To subcribe to the free electronic newsletter, Organic View,
send an email to: organicview@organicconsumers.org
with the message: subscribe
Organic View is devoted to organic food issues and
the work of the OCA.

To subscribe to the free electronic newsletter, Campaign for Food Safety
News (formerly Food Bytes), send an email to: majordomo@mr.net
with the simple message: subscribe pure-food-action
CFS News is devoted to factory farming, biotechnology, food safety/politics
issues. http://www.purefood.org

OCA is affiliated with the Campaign for Food Safety.