Japanese Woodworking Forums Forum Index Japanese Woodworking Forums
Presented by www.japanesetools.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ofuro Construction - Plans for Cedar or Redwood Ofuro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Woodworking Forums Forum Index -> Japanese Furniture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mux

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting ready to build a 5 ft X 5 Ft X 3 Ft Ofuro (Japanese Bath) and wondered if anyone out there has ever designed and built one.

I am trying to figure out how to build one that doesn't leak. Is this a fools mission? Will they always leak?
pampine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've designed one, but haven't built it, it's waiting for the new bathroom extension to the house. However, you raise an interesting point that hadn't occurred to me: Will they always leak? And that seems a very real possibility, surround it with a water proof floor with drain, and let it leak.

Good coopered type construction should eliminate leaks, except for those through the wood as it get waterlogged. There is a western company that injects epoxies into the wood they use for bath tubs, very expensive, sorry I can't seem to find the link.

Pam
imdarin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Underhill did a show with a unremembered guest. He made a bassinet out of wood that didn't leak. The technique was to take a rod-wire about 1/4 inch and use it to hammer a groove in one of the mating boards. He then planed off the high parts of the resulting U. the corners were done with sliding dovetails. When he added water it stopped leaking in a matter of seconds.
Wooden horse troughs don't leak, and I remember wooden water towers.
I suspect that most of these things depend on staying wet to stay sealed but my guess is that if the bath leaks it was intended to leak for reasons that this western mind is not equipped to figure out.
Dick
pampine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Klausz made a stone tray like that, it's on one of his videos, something like Hand Tools, on which he shows sharpening of saws, plane blades, and chisels.

Pam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Japanese Woodworking Forums Forum Index -> Japanese Furniture All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: