Do you have experience running Linux systems, configuring Apache, and running PHP/MySQL apps? Would you enjoy taking your skills to the next level? Are you interested in cloud computing, information security tactics, database performance tuning, and shell/Perl/Python scripting madness?
ibiblio seeks a talented and dedicated student system administrator to help run our collection of production servers. This means feeding and caring for Redhat, CentOS, and Ubuntu Linux servers that handle 10-15 million requests per day, as well as helping people install and configure LAMP applications. Responsibilities include:
- Linux OS and system tool configuration
- Database administration and performance tuning
- Installing and configuring open source PHP and Python web applications
- Troubleshooting errors, bugs, defects, glitches, snafus, and hysterical raisins
- Working with a wide range of famous and not-so-famous people who contribute material to ibiblio
- A desk for yourself in the sunny ibiblio office in 213 Manning Hall
- Working with a group of smart and energetic faculty and students
Candidates must be full or part time undergraduate or graduate students at UNC Chapel Hill. The position is for 15-20 hours/week starting January 2011; pay depends on skills and experience. Please send inquiries and resumes (in PDF or text format, no MS Word) to jobs-at-ibiblio-dot-org.