He then served with the 57th Infantry at Leon Springs, Texas to September 18, 1917; as instructor at the Officers' Training Camp at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, to December 12, 1917, and as instructor, Army Service Schools, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas to February 28, 1918. He organized the 65th Battalion Engineers at Camp Meade, Maryland; commanded Camp Colt, Pennsylvania from March 24, to November 18, 1918 - a tank training center where he received the Distinguished Service Medal. He commanded the Tank Corps troops at Camp Dix, New Jersey, to December 22, 1918; and at Fort Benning, Georgia to March 15, 1919.
He then went to Fort Meade, Maryland, where he served until January 7, 1922, as Executive Officer, and in command of various tank battalions. During this period he was graduated from the Infantry Tank School. He then went to the Panama Canal Zone where he served as Executive Officer, Camp Gaillard, to September 19, 1924, when he was assigned as Recreation Officer at Headquarters of the Third Corps Area, Baltimore, Maryland, remaining until December 15, 1924. He was Recruiting Officer, Fort Logan, Colorado, to August 19, 1925, when he entered the Command and General Staff School, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, completing the course as an honor graduate in June, 1926. He was number one in a class of 245.
On August 15, 1926, Dwight Eisenhower joined the 24th Infantry at Fort Benning, Georgia, and on January 15, 1927, was transferred to Washington, D.C. for service with the American Battle Monuments Commission, remaining on that duty until August 15, 1927. He was graduated from the Army War College on June 30, 1928, and returned to duty with the American Battle Monuments Commission. From November 8, 1929, to February 20, 1933, he was Assistant Executive, Office, Assistant Secretary of War, during which time he was graduated from the Army Industrial College. He then served in the Office of the Chief of Staff to September 24, 1935.
In September, 1935, he went to Manila as Assistant to the Military Advisor, Commonwealth of the Philippine Islands, General Douglas MacArthur. He joined the 15th Infantry at Fort Ord, California, in February 1940, and accompanied this regiment to Fort Lewis, Washington, a few weeks later. On November 30, 1940, he was assigned as Chief of Staff of the 3rd Division at Fort Lewis. He was assigned as Chief of Staff of the Third Army, San Antonio, Texas, on June 24, 1941. He was named Deputy Chief on December 14, 1941.
He was appointed Chief of the War Plans Division, War Department General Staff, on February 16, 1942. He was designated as Assistant Chief of Staff in charge of the Operations Division, Office of the Chief of Staff, April 2, 1942. On June 25, 1942, he was designated Commanding General, European Theater, with headquarters in London, England.
On November 8, 1942, Eisenhower commanded American forces landing in North Africa. He became Commander-in-Chief of Allied Forces in North Africa that same month. In December, 1943, he became Supreme Commander, Allied Expeditionary Forces, planning and coordinating the land, sea and air forces for the Normandy invasion, June 6, 1944.
On August 9, 1944, General Eisenhower established his advance command post in France. Prior to that date he had visited the front from his headquarters in London and Portsmouth, Tactical Advance Headquarters. On August 25, he reported the destruction of German forces in Northeastern France. SHAEF "Main" was moved from London to Versailles, France, from where the General continued to direct operations until the latter part of April, 1945, when an advance command post was set up at Rheims, France, where the German High Command signed the UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER which terminated the war in Europe on May 8, 1945. Shortly after the cessation of hostilities, he was appointed Military Governor of the United States Occupied Zone in Germany with headquarters at Frankfurt, Germany.
On November 19, 1945, he was named to succeed General of the Army George C. Marshall as Chief of Staff. He was succeeded by General Omar N. Bradley on February 7, 1948. He became President of Columbia University on June 7, 1948.
He was returned to the active list of the Regular Army in the grade of General of the Army with rank from December, 1944, by Public Law 87-3 which was signed by President John F. Kennedy on March 22, 1961.