Lighthouses of China: Southeastern Liáoníng

Liáoníng is a province of northeastern China, at the northern end of the Chinese coast. A principal geographical feature of the province is the Liáodōng (Liaotung) Peninsula, which projects into the northern end of the Yellow Sea, separating Korea Bay on the east from Liáodōng Bay on the west. The major port complex of Dàlián is near the end of the peninsula on the eastern side. This page includes lighthouses of the coast to the northeast of Dàlián and the islands to the east in the Korea Sea. Lighthouses of Lǚshùn (Port Arthur) and Liáodōng Bay are on the Southwestern Liáoníng page.

During the colonial period Russia and Japan vied for control of this strategically located area. In 1898 Russia leased the Dàlián area from China, but Japan conquered the Russian colony during the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-05. In 1931 Japan invaded northeast China and incorporated Liáoníng into the puppet state of Manchukuo until the end of the Second World War in 1945. Soviet troops then occupied Dàlián; the city was returned to Chinese sovereignty in 1950 but Soviet troops remained until they were withdrawn in 1955.

In addition to Dàlián, there are important Korea Bay ports at Dāndōng and Zhuānghé.

An additional note: the province of Liáoníng was known as Fengtian from 1907 to 1929 and during the Japanese administration; the name Liáoníng was restored in 1945.

Lighthouses in China are maintained by the PRC Maritime Safety Administration. There are regional offices in each province; Liáoníng lighthouses fall under the Liáoníng MSA.

The pīnyīn system for transliterating Chinese into Latin characters is now the international standard, but some locations continue to be known also under the spellings of older transliteration systems. The Chinese word for a lighthouse is dēngtǎ (灯塔). In pinyin jiāo (formerly chiao) is a reef or rock, jiǎo is a cape or headland, dǎo (tao) is an island; (tsu) is a small island, wān is a bay and gǎng (kang) is a harbor.

Names formerly used by the Japanese administration are shown in brackets {}.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. CN numbers are Chinese light list numbers, where available. Admiralty numbers are from volume P of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 112.

General Sources
Dalian Lighthouses 
This blog has photos of the major lighthouses of the Dalian area. All the photos appear to be by the Maritime Safety Administration. Several are reproduced here.
Online List of Lights - China
Coming soon: photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Manchuria AMS Topographic Maps
U.S. Army maps from around 1950 collected by the University of Texas.
Chinese English Pinyin Dictionary
A useful tool for juggling the representations of Chinese names.
Leuchttürme Chinas auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard views posted by Klaus Huelse.

Dengtashan Light
Dēngtǎshān Light, Dōnggǎng
PRC Maritime Safety Administration photo


Dàwángjiādǎo Light, Chánghǎi
City of Zhuānghé Information Department photo

Dāndōng Prefecture Lighthouse (see also Southwestern Liáoníng)

Note: Before World War II, the Dāndōng area was in the former Andong Province. The People's Republic abolished Andong in 1954 and divided its territory between Liáoníng and Jílín Provinces.
Dōnggǎng City Lighthouse
Dēngtǎshān (Dàlùdǎo, Dalutao) {Talutao}
1925. Active; focal plane 80.5 m (264 ft); white flash every 5 s. 7.5 m (25 ft) round cylindrical steel or cast iron tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with narrow red horizontal bands. A photo is at the top of this page, a small photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. The island is a popular resort and the lighthouse is one of the attractions. Dēngtǎshān ("Lighthouse Hill") was known historically as Mangshan ("Snake Hill"). Tours are said to be available from Dāndōng. Located on a small island off the east end of Dàlùdǎo, an island about 30 km (18 mi) west southwest of Dāndōng (Donggou), China's easternmost port. Site status unknown. ARLHS PRC-078; CN-1050; Admiralty P4076.

Zhuānghé and Pǔlándiàn Lighthouses

Zhuānghé City Lighthouses
Huángquán Pier
2007. Active; focal plane about 15 m (49 ft); light characteristic unknown. Approx. 10 m (33 ft) round barbell-shaped fiberglass tower. No photo available but Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of the L-shaped coal unloading pier. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4075.8.
Huángquán Range Front
2007. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); continuous red light. 29 m (95 ft) steel post centered on a square building. No photo available but Google has a satellite view. This range guides vessels approaching a long coal unloading pier that serves a large power plant about 25 km (15 mi) east of central Zhuānghé. Located on a platform on the west side of the pier. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4075.7.
Huángquán Range Rear
2007. Active; focal plane 57 m (187 ft); continuous red light. 54 m (177 ft) steel post. No photo available but Google has a satellite view. Located at the base of the Huángjiāquán pier. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4075.71.
* Shíchéngdǎo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 14 m (46 ft); light characteristic unknown. Approx. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower painted with red and white horizontal bands. A photo is available and Google has a distant satellite view. Located at the end of the pier at the north end of Shíchéngdǎo, an island about 8 km (5 mi) south of Zhuānghé. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty P4075.4.
Dàwángjiādǎo (Tawangchia Tao)
1939. Active; focal plane 108 m (354 ft); white flash every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the front of a 1-story concrete keeper's house. A City of Zhuānghé photo is at the top of this page, a sunrise photo and another photo are available, and Google has a satellite view. Dàwángjiādǎo is an island about 25 km (15 mi) southeast of Zhuānghé. Located on the south side of the island, within the Dàwángjiādǎo Scenic Area. Tours to the island are available from Zhuānghé. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS PRC-079; CN-1051; Admiralty P4075.

Pǔlándiàn City Lighthouse
Píkǒu (Píkǒuda Jiāo)
2004. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); white flash every 12 s. 22 m (72 ft) round white concrete tower with double gallery; an external stairway spirals around the tower to reach the first gallery. A photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a shoal about 5 km (3 mi) south southeast of Píkǒu, a small port about 70 km (45 mi) northeast of Dàlián. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty P4067.5.


Píkǒu Light, Pǔlándiàn
Unattributed photo probably by MSA

Chánghǎi County (Outer Changshan Islands) Lighthouses

Note: The Changshan Islands form a loose archipelago on the west side of Korea Bay, extending southeastward from Zhuānghé and eastward from Dàlián. Many of the islands are inhabited. There is another Changshan Islands group south of Dàlián in Shāndōng Province.

Xiǎochángshān Lighthouses
Note: Xiǎochángshān (Little Changshan) and Dàchángshān (Big Changshan) are the two largest, northernmost, and most populated of the islands. Both are aligned east to west. A bridge connects the west end of Xiǎochángshān and the east end of Dàchángshān.
Lùquānjiǎo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 54 m (177 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) round concrete tower, painted white. No photo available but Bing has a distant satellite view. Located at the eastern tip of Bǎshāodǎo, a small island off the eastern tip of Xiǎochángshān. Site status unknown. CN-1052; Admiralty P4070.
Dàtuózi
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 44 m (144 ft); white flash every 4 s. 6.5 m (21 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on an island off the northeastern tip of Xiǎochángshān. The island is connected to the mainland of Xiǎochángshān by a causeway. Site status unknown. CN-1053; Admiralty P4068.2.
Xīwān
1962. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); flash every 4 s, white or green depending on direction. 4.5 m (15 ft) square pyramidal stone tower attached to a small stone equipment room. Access to the light is by stone steps on one side of the pyramid. Entire beacon painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on a rocky promontory sheltering the harbor of Nánshāntún, the principal port of Xiǎochángshān, on the south side of the island. Site status unknown. CN-1055; Admiralty P4068.093.
Xīběijiǎo
2009. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); white light, 2.5 s on, 2.5 s off. 8 m (26 ft) square white concrete tower. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Located on the northwestern tip of Xiǎochángshān. Site status unknown. Admiralty P4068.092.

Dàchángshān Lighthouses
Jiǎoliudǎo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); red flash every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) square white concrete tower. No photo available but Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on an islet about 4 km (2.5 mi) off the eastern tip of Dàchángshān. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. CN-1054; Admiralty P4068.1; NGA 18210.
Dàjiāo
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 4.5 m (15 ft); six quick white flashes followed by one lone white flash every 10 s. 6 m (20 ft) round concrete tower, upper half painted yellow and lower half black. No photo available but Google has a satellite view. Located at the south end of a shoal off the southeast coast of Dàchángshān Dǎo. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. CN-1056; Admiralty P4068.085.
Huángshíjiāo (2)
1985 (station established 1965). Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); white flash every 3 s. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. An MSA photo is at right and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse marks a shoal off the principal port of Dàchángshān Dǎo. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. CN-1058; Admiralty P4066.43.
Jièbātuózi (3)
Date unknown (station established 1956). Active; focal plane 73 m (240 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 6.5 m (21 ft) round barbell-shaped concrete tower with gallery, mounted on a stone base. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available but Google has a distant satellite view. The second (1987) light was on a cylindrical tower. Located on the highest point of a small island off the southern tip of Dàchángshān. The island is connected to the mainland of Dàchángshān by a causeway. Site status unknown. CN-1059; Admiralty P4066.4.
Xīcǎotuózi (2)
1985 (station established 1956). Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 6 s. 10.5 m (35 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white. No photo available but Google has a distant satellite view. A sibling of the Huángshíjiǎo lighthouse. Located on the western tip of Dàchángshān. Site status unknown. CN-1060; Admiralty P4068.

Huángshíjiǎo Light, Chánghǎi
PRC Maritime Safety Administration photo

Guǎnglùdǎo Lighthouses
Note: Guǎnglù ("Many Deer") is an island at the southwestern end of the Changshan archipelago.
Húlúdǎo (Hulutao)
1957. Active; focal plane 71 m (233 ft); white flash every 4 s. 8.5 m (28 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Another sibling of the Huángshíjiǎo lighthouse, this light guides vessels in the passage between the islands and the mainland. Located on an island off the northwestern coast of Guǎnglùdǎo. Site status unknown. CN-1062; Admiralty P4066.3.
Guǎnglùshān (2)
1987 (station established 1957). Active; focal plane 89 m (292 ft); white flash every 6 s. 10.5 m (35 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white. No photo available, but Google has a satellite view. Another sibling of the Huángshíjiǎo lighthouse. Located on an island off the southeastern coast of Guǎnglùdǎo. Site status unknown. CN-1061; Admiralty P4067; NGA 18208.

ichángshān Islands Lighthouses
Note: The Wàichángshān (Outer Changshan) islands are a scattered group of small and remote islands at the southeastern edge of the Changshan archipelago.
Bādǒuyínzi (Hǎiyángdǎo) (3)
1998 (station established 1915). Active; focal plane 61.5 m (202 ft); white flash every 5 s. 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical tile-covered concrete tower with gallery. Entire lighthouse is white. 1-story wood keeper's house. The MSA's photo is at right, and Google has a satellite view. The original Japanese station, called "Hai Yung Tau," was apparently discontinued in favor of the present Hǎiyángdǎo station in 1932. The present station was established in 1949, according to MSA. The name Hǎiyángdǎo means "Oceanic Island." Located on the south side of the harbor entrance, on the west side of Hǎiyángdǎo, an island about 65 km (40 mi) south of Zhuānghé at the eastern end of the Changshan archipelago. Site status unknown. ARLHS PRC-080; CN-1065; Admiralty P4066.5; NGA 18211.
Hǎiyángdǎo (2)
Date unknown (station established 1932). Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); white flash every 6 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower centered on a round 1-story concrete equipment room. Lighthouse painted white. No photo available but Google has a distant satellite view. Located near the northwestern corner of Hǎiyángdǎo. Site status unknown. CN-1063; Admiralty P4066.55.
Dōngdāliándǎo (East Daliandao) (2)
1987 (station established 1958). Active; focal plane 43 m (141 ft); white flash every 4 s. 10.5 m (35 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white. No photo available but a Bing satellite view probably shows the lighthouse. Another sibling of the Huángshíjiǎo lighthouse. A square pyramidal tower next to the present lighthouse is similar to the Xīwān light (see above) and is presumably the 1958 light tower. Located on an island northeast of Zhāngzidǎo, about 27 km (17 mi) south of Xiǎochángshān. Site status unknown. CN-1066; Admiralty P4066.48.
Zhāngzidǎo (2)
1987 (station established 1957). Active; focal plane 145 m (476 ft); white flash every 4 s. 12.5 m (41 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white. No photo available but Bing has a distant satellite view of the station. Another sibling of the Huangshijiǎo lighthouse. A square pyramidal tower next to the present lighthouse may be the 1957 lighthouse; instead of a lantern, the solar panels are now mounted on its roof. Located at the southeastern tip of Zhāngzidǎo. Site status unknown. CN-1067; Admiralty P4066.45.

Bādǒuyínzi Light, Hǎiyángdǎo
PRC Maritime Safety Administration Wēnzhōu Office photo
Jiājiǎo (Zhāngzidǎo Northwest)
2009. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white light, 2 s on, 2 s off. 10 m (33 ft) round white concrete tower. No photo available but Google has a satellite view. Located on the northern tip of Zhāngzidǎo. Site status unknown. Admiralty P4066.435.

Dàlián City: Jīnzhōu District Lighthouses

Note: The northeastern borough of Dàlián, Jīnzhōu has a population of more than one million and is a major port in its own right.
Nándàquān
1995. Active; focal plane 57 m (187 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 22 m (72 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a large 1-story keeper's house complex. Lighthouse painted white. An MSA photo is at right and Bing has a satellite view. Although the lighthouse was built in 1990, it was not activated until 1995. Located at the tip of a narrow peninsula on the north side of Dàyào Wān about 30 km (19 mi) northeast of Dàlián. Site status unknown. ARLHS PRC-044; CN-1072; Admiralty P4065; NGA 18225.
Dàyào Wān North Entrance North Side
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); green light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 20 m (66 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted with black and white horizontal bands. No photo available but Bing has a satellite view. Located on the north detached breakwater of Dàyào Wān, south of the Nandaquan lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4065.3; NGA 18225.3.
Nandaquan Light
Nándàquān Light, Jīnzhōu
PRC Maritime Safety Administration photo
Dàyào Wān North Entrance South Side
1995?. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); red light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 20 m (66 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white. The light is in the far background of the photo of the harbor entrance at right and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the north end of the detached north breakwater of Dàyào Wān (bay), opposite the Nandaquan lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4065.4; NGA 18225.5.
Dàyào Wān North Breakwater South End (Dayaowan Zulangdi)
1995. Active; focal plane 26.5 m (87 ft); green flash every 5 s. 22 m (72 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with gallery, painted white. The light is at the right in the photo of the harbor entrance at right and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the south end of the detached north breakwater of Dàyào Wān. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. ARLHS PRC-024; CN-1073; Admiralty P4065.5; NGA 18226.2.
Dàyào Wān South Breakwater
Date unknown. Active; continuous red light. 22 m (72 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. The lighthouse is white with narrow red vertical stripes. A photo is at right and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the breakwater, a working pier on the south side of Dàyào Wān. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4066; NGA 18226.
Daliangangxin North Oil Pier
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 15 m (49 ft); light characteristic unknown. Approx. 14 m (46 ft) round tapered concrete tower. No photo available but Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the pier of the oil terminal. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4059.2; NGA 112-18227.
Dayao Wan Breakwater Lights
Dàyào Wān South Breakwater Light, Jīnzhōu, November 2006
Panoramio photo copyright haili4603; permission requested
Yóumǎtóu Zhànqiáo (Daliangangxin Oil Terminal) (2)
1985 (station established 1976). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); continuous green light. 17 m (56 ft) round tapered concrete tower, painted white. No photo available but Bing has a satellite view. NGA lists a framework tower at this location. Located at the end of a long pier sheltering the oil terminal, southeast of the Dàyào Wān Breakwater and northwest of the Shātuózi lighthouse. Site and tower closed. CN-1084; Admiralty P4059.3; NGA 18229.
Daliangangxin Oil Terminal
Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 15 m (49 ft); light characteristic unknown. Approx. 14 m (46 ft) round tapered concrete tower. No photo available but Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the inner pier of the oil terminal. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4059.4.
Daliangangxin Oil Terminal Operations Pier
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); continuous red light. 10 m (33 ft) round white concrete tower. No photo available but Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of a pier at the oil terminal. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4059.5; NGA 18231.
Shātuózi
1976. Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); white flash every 6 s. 37 m (121 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white with red trim. An MSA photo is at right and an excellent 2010 closeup is available. The lighthouse was built at the tip of the blunt peninsula on the south side of Dàyào Wān. In 1986 it was necessary to reinforce the foundation, presumably against wave action. More recently breakwaters were built to enclose the location of the lighthouse, and the area was filled and developed as part of the oil terminal. Google's satellite view shows the lighthouse surrounded by huge tanks. Site and tower closed. ARLHS PRC-081; CN-1086; Admiralty P4059; NGA 18228.
Bulk Cargo Pier Head
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); continuous red light. 10 m (33 ft) round metal (?) tower painted with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available but Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of a pier southwest of Shātuózi. Site and tower closed. Admiralty P4059.18; NGA 18233.
Jiǔcàituózi
1973. Active (?); focal plane 18 m (59 ft); two white flashes every 6 s.. 8.5 m (28 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower centered on a round 1-story concrete equipment room. Lighthouse painted white. No photo available but Bing has a satellite view. This light was formerly located on a small island southwest of the Shātuózi lighthouse, marking the north side of the entrance to Dàlián Wān. The area is now developed as an oil terminal, and if the light remains active it cannot have any navigational value. Site and tower closed. CN-1087; Admiralty P4058.5; NGA 18234.

Shātuózi Light, Jīnzhōu
PRC Maritime Safety Administration photo
Běiliang Gǎng Breakwater
2009(?). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); continuous green light. 20 m (66 ft) round fiberglass tower colored with red and white horizontal bands. No photo available but Google has a satellite view. Located on a short breakwater on the north side of Dagushan Bay, opposite central Dàlián. Site status unknown. Admiralty P4056; NGA 18235.3.
Běiliang Gǎng Oil Pier
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 10 m (33 ft) round barbell-shaped fiberglass tower, colored with black and white horizontal bands. No photo available but Google has a satellite view. Located at the end of a pier about 800 m (1/2 mi) northwest of the Beilang Gang Breakwater lighthouse. Site status unknown. Admiralty P4053; NGA 18234.1.

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Notable faux lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: East: Western North Korea | South: Southern Liáoníng | West: Southwestern Liáoníng

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key

Posted February 25, 2008. Checked and revised May 4, 2019. Lighthouses: 37. Site copyright 2019 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.