Things To Do Differently Next Time
- Build the base three courses of brick (8 inches) higher to reduce stooping while tending to the fire and coals.
- Add one more layer of brick between the pit doors to elevate the grill 2+ inches further above the coals.
- Eliminate the seldom-used brick vents.
- Reduce the opening in the coal hearth one or two courses of bricks to improve the draft.
- Use an 8 x 15 inch flue pipe in the coal hearth chimney to improve the draft. (Keep the 8 x 8 inch flue pipe on the pit side.)