Re: [nafex] Pippin Type apples

Yes, here people often call Albemarle (Newton) Pippin apples "pippins", but
I thought that was probably just because this is Albemarle County
(Virginia).  Originally called Newton Pippins (from place of origin Newton,
Long Island), they grew so well here and made so many Albemarle County and
Nelson County orchardists well off from exports to England in the 1800's
that they came to be known as Albemarle Pippins.  Though mostly red clay
around here, in some mountain hollows there is a wonderful dark sandy loam
in which the Albemarle Pippin trees did particularly well; it is said this
type of place was called "pippin land".

You can see "pippin land" for yourself at my orchard as part of the local
tours of the NAFEX National Conference this August in Charlottesville,
Virginia.  There were six Albemarle Pippin trees from the 1890's here when I
moved here in 1989; there is one left living to see now.

David Consolvo
Hungrytown

----------
>From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] Pippin Type apples
>Date: Thu, Jun 22, 2000, 4:15 PM
>

>Don is correct about the Pippin definition of seedling, however, I have noticed
>that Newtown or Albermarle Pippin, which is a very old variety and popular in
>parts of the South is often referred to as just Pippin.
>
>Victoria Caron.........NH
>
>Bruce & Joyce wrote:
>
>> Someone posted a recipe to my Ediblewild list which called for Pippin "Type"
>> apples. Can anyone tell me (to be re-posted to the other group) what "Pippin
>> Type" means?
>>
>> Joyce

SALESFORCE.COM MAKES SOFTWARE OBSOLETE
Secure, online sales force automation with 5 users FREE for 1 year!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2658/0/_/423498/_/961683796/