Re: [nafex] Moving An Apple Tree

Hello,

The tree won't be moved until it is dormant, and there is no hope of getting
large equipment to where it is situated.  That means a totally manual move, with
no hydraulic equipment.  Anyone selling a truss?   8^O

Tom

"Lon J. Rombough" wrote:

> Fastest, easiest way (but not cheapest) is to hire a company that uses one
> of those giant diggers with the four blades that go down around the roots
> and lift the tree with a giant root ball.  Especially if you are going to
> move it now.  Moving it while it is active means a LOT of work - you have to
> take a huge soil ball with it and might be more work than you want.  I've
> moved trees that big when they were dormant quite easily.  Takes a lot of
> digging to get as many roots as you can, and you should have the hole ready
> before you dig the tree, but survival is much better.  I moved a single
> apple tree with a root mass big enough to fill the bed of a pickup that way.
>  I had a canopy over the truck bed, which protected it in the 20 mile drive.
>  When I got there, it took a few minutes to adjust the hole, then I backed
> up to the hole and slid the tree out, right into it.  Piled in dirt and
> watered the heck out of it to settle it.  That was over 20 years ago and the
> tree is stil one of the most vigorous on the place.
> -Lon Rombough
> ----------
> >From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
> >To: nafex@egroups.com
> >Subject: [nafex] Moving An Apple Tree
> >Date: Sun, Jul 9, 2000, 6:24 AM
> >

> >Hello,
> >
> >My neighbor has offered me an apple tree that is about 3" in
> >diameter, 7' tall, with a later spread that is about 10'.
> >He is putting in a utility shed, and the tree is in the way,
> >he is willing to wait till September so the tree has a
> >better chance.
> >
> >I have never moved a tree of this size, what is the best
> >method to move it, with the least shock to the tree?  Any
> >suggestions on how to prepare the spot it is moving to?
> >
> >He is just going to cut it down otherwise.
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Tom
> >
> >--
> >Thomas Olenio
> >Ontario, Canada
> >Hardiness Zone 6a

> >Win A Handyman ...and make him fix up your place!

> Experience MSN...
> Get 1 FREE* month of unlimited Internet access!

Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Canada
Hardiness Zone 6a

Make your old place like new ...Win A Handyman!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6290/0/_/423498/_/963155139/