Re: [nafex] Help in Sprouting Sweet Cherry Pits

Works on all stone fruit and just about all other seeds, but they have to be
freshly extracted.  Once they dry, the test may fail. Just to be sure, open
a few of the floaters.  I once collected a mass of Rugosa rose seed and it
ALL floated.  Then I found that the seed was designed to float and was still
good.
----------
>From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] Help in Sprouting Sweet Cherry Pits
>Date: Fri, Jul 14, 2000, 10:51 AM
>

>Hello,
>
>Is the float test good for all stone fruit, or just cherries?
>
>Thanks,
>Tom
>
>--
>Thomas Olenio
>Ontario, Hardiness Zone 6a
>
>On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Lon J. Rombough wrote:
>
>> Better hope you get two good ones, and that they are of different
>> pollination groups - one by itself won't set, unless you got seed from some
>> of the few new self-fertile sweet cherries.
>> No need to crack sweet cherry pits - they germinate just fine after good
>> stratification.  And if you float the seed beforehand (if it hasn't dried
>> too much) you can pick out the "blanks" because they float (no good seed
>> inside).
>> -Lon Rombough
>> ----------
>> >From: Nikolai <Nikolai@v-wave.com>
>> >To: nafex@egroups.com
>> >Subject: [nafex] Help in Sprouting Sweet Cherry Pits
>> >Date: Thu, Jul 13, 2000, 10:04 PM
>> >

>> >I'm getting 20 lbs of sweet cherry pits from a processor in Ontario in a few
>> >weeks.  These seeds are removed mechanically by a mechanical "pitter", and
>> >not brined or treated in any way, so they should be good.  I'll be planting
>> >these pits like corn at very, very close spacing, say 100 or more seeds to a
>> >square foot, ie about one inch apart.
>> >
>> >My objective is to get a sweet cherry seedling that survives zone 3 and
>> >produces.  I assume at best one in four pits will sprout, and of those,
>> >perhaps one in a thousand of the sprouted plants will survive above the snow
>> >in a zone 3 winter.  I hope to get a very small number of hardy trees down
>> >the line, and just maybe, a sweet cherry of reasonable quality that is hardy
>> >in zone 3.
>> >
>> >My question to NAFEXERs is about the successful sprouting of sweet cherry
>> >pits, which I understand can be very difficult at times.  Any methods that
>> >have worked well?  Most methods seem to revolve around cracking the pit and
>> >planting in the fall.  However, cracking thousands of pits with a pair of
>> >pliars doesn't appeal much to me...Does anyone have a method that works well
>> >for getting sweet cherry pits to sprout in reasonable numbers?
>> >Bernie Nikolai
>> >Edmonton, Alberta

>> >Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
>> >1. Fill in the brief application
>> >2. Receive approval decision within 30 seconds
>> >3. Get rates as low as 2.9% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR
>> >http://click.egroups.com/1/6631/0/_/423498/_/963551665/

>> Wish you had something rad to add to your email?
>> We do at www.supersig.com.

>Get great brand name shoes with just the click of a mouse. Check out
>the huge selection at Zappos.com, the Web's Most Popular Store!

To email plain text is conventional, to add graphics is divine.
We'll show you how at www.supersig.com.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6811/0/_/423498/_/963597735/