Re: [nafex] elderberry goo

> Whenever I make wine
>out of elderberries I get a green goo, almost as sticky as glue, & it
>deposits
>on all of the winemaking glasswear & the strainer bag....  Seems like some
>sort
>of tannic compound.
I once made wine with blue elders from a thicket in E. Wash. state & some
from N. Idaho- I followed Euell Gibbons' recipe; he dried 'em first (!) I
used champagne yeast and dosed and capped the bottles- if you can imagine a
thin, sparkling  dry sherry... but no weird sediments that I can remember.
-Rick

Rick Valley Northern Groves
PO Box 1236, Philomath, OR 97370
Mobile-(541)602-1315, hm.& msg. (541)456-4364  Bamboo catalog $3 or at
<http://www.teleport.com/~dbrooks/bamboo.html>
"Useful Bamboos and other plants‹ Permaculture education‹ Ecological design &
consultation centering on water,landform and horticultural systems"

http://click.egroups.com/1/7011/0/_/423498/_/966035546/