Re: [nafex] Improved Snow

Thanks Claude, this explains a lot.

What we refer to as an old fashioned Snow does have some slight green in
the skin, the flesh is snow white.

While the skin of the Improved Snow is solid, bright red, and when left
too long on the tree there are red tendrils that go into the snow white
flesh of the apple from the skin.

Your information makes me think that what is referred to as Improved Snow
is closer to the original Fameuse, or it is a very close seedling.

Thanks again,

Tom

--
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Hardiness Zone 6a

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Claude Jolicoeur wrote:

> A 08:05 00.10.24 -0400, vous avez écrit :
> >Hi Claude,
> >
> >Does your apple database contain "Improved Snow"?
> >
> >We have access to old fashioned Snow, and Improved Snow, but we do not
> know much
> >about either.
>
> Tom, The old fashioned Snow should be the original Fameuse, which dates
> back to 1650 during the French colony.
> Fameuse had a tendency to reproduce easily by the seed and often the
> seedlings were quite similar to the original. So now we have many strains
> of Fameuse. One of them may have been called 'Improved Snow'. Here is what
> Daryl Hunter says about Fameuse in his Kitchen Orchard CD :
>
> >FAMEUSE (D) - An old time favourite which originated in the Lake Champlain
> area in the 1600's from seeds
> >planted by early French settlers. From there it was spread to Vermont
> (called the Chimney Apple), and
> >around Lake Erie and into Quebec. For a lengthy discussion on the origins
> of Fameuse refer to The Apples of
> >New York. Some believe it to be the parent of McIntosh which gradually
> replaced it in the early 1900's. It has
> >some tendency to closely reproduce itself from seed unlike most other
> varieties. For this reason there are
> >several seedling strains, but the original Fameuse is a handsome bright
> red apple deepening to almost
> >purplish black with snow white flesh, hence the popular name of "Snow
> Apple". The true, deep red Fameuse
> >is of better quality than another Striped Fameuse which is often grown in
> the author's area. It is tender, crisp,
> >very juicy, subacid becoming mild and sweet, aromatic. Its flesh is often
> stained with red. It is a refreshing
> >dessert apple, a good keeper, but its main fault is that it is very prone
> to scab. It also tends to be biennial.
> >Princess Louise, a more scab resistant offspring, is a uniquely flavoured
> quality fruit. Fameuse requires 600
> >hours of chilling. Ripens early October. Zone 3.
>
> Hopes this helps you...
>
> Claude Jolicoeur, Quebec.

No bidding, no
guesswork.  Just