Re: [nafex] Grafting vs Volunteer Sucker

Root suckers tend to be more "juvenile" and may take as long as seedlngs to
come into bearing.  Though I've seen one phenomena that is interesting in
that respect.  I have an own-rooted plum which took over 7 years to come
into bearing as a transplanted sucker.  Now, however, the mature tree has
produced a sucker that came into bearing in three years.  The difference is
that the sucker is still attached to the mature tree.  Perhaps that allows
it to get something from the adult tree that speeds it into bearing.
----------
>From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: [nafex] Grafting vs Volunteer Sucker
>Date: Wed, Nov 1, 2000, 9:53 AM
>

>Hello Experts,
>
>I have a question regarding Grafting versus Volunteer Suckers.
>
>I have read that grafted trees bear fruit sooner, as the internal
>cellular clock of the scion is ahead of the rootstock.
>
>As I was digging up a volunteer whip of an older standard tree, which has
>been gone a few years (volunteers supporting old rootstock), I wondered if
>a volunteer whip, from an old rootstock would mature and fruit any sooner
>than a new seedling of the same size?
>
>Does logic hold here, or is the thought all wet?  Is the interal cellular
>clock of volunteer suckers ahead of same sized seedlings?
>
>Thanks,
>Tom
>
>--
>Thomas Olenio