[nafex] Re: wet soil, highbush cranberry and archive homework

>The other posibility i dredged up off the nafex archive is "triple
>crown"
>Any zone 3 successes with it?  Who sells it?

Since I'm in zone 6 I can't vouch for "triple crown" from a hardiness
perspective.  In its first year of growth it was "trailing" or
maybe "semi-trailing" instead of "semi-erect" that it is sold as (I
was expecting something like "Chester", whose canes tend to grow at a
45 degree angle).  This might be an advantage to you as the new canes
would be on the ground and get snow (or mulch) covered.

I believe "Triple Crown" is fairly widely available.  (I know Stark
Bros. was selling it).

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@egroups.com, "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@h...> wrote:
>   to H. Dessurealt,  thanks for the thorough reply, i didn't
realize there
> was a non-edible sambucus, but i'd  like to try the black elderbery
seeds.
> Perhaps someone out here in nafex land knows about propagating
sambucus from
> seed or where info can be found. This sounds like the same tree i
remember
> as a child in northern California frying the florets in pancake
batter, yum!
> 	 Our local soils and water district sells a conservation
grade of
> V.trilobum for $1.20 ea.  I think to order 50 of them, but one year
they
> were very disappointing quality- anyone now of a wholesale source
for
> various versions of Viburnam?
> 	Timbleberry. Any chance you know genus-specie on this plant?
I lived a
> couple years on the Oregon coast and what the locals called
thimbleberry was
> quite different.
> 	Dewberry, i have found a rare one occasionally here in the
understory with
> a single berry or two, must be the lack of acid soil that keeps
them back.
> 	Wild blackberries.  Two miles from our place the soil changes
from clay- to
> sand and jack pines. In the understory there are blueberry,
raspberry, and
> what i believe are wild blackberies.  So far the ones i've
transplanted to
> our rich garden soil in the sun haven't fared well.  But my memory
of wild
> blackberries on the west coast is that they grow uncontrollably on
heavy wet
> soil.  This spring i'll try to get a positive I.D on them.
> 	Domestic Blackberries-  the only one that ive seen advertised
as possible
> in zone 3 is the severtson farms 'doyle'.  Their fantastic claims
of
> productivity, cold tolerance, and the $18 per plant price
tag.....well.....
> anyone out there who can vouch for this variety and for its cold
tolerance?
>   The other posibility i dredged up off the nafex archive
is "triple crown"
> Any zone 3 successes with it?  Who sells it?
> 	An oregon berry researcher i've been comunicating with says
hes heard of a
> technique of training the laterals low to the ground so they can be
covered
> with snow.  Sounds like a great idea! It relates to a Siberian
method i
> remember reading somewhere in an old Pomona on growing apples
parrellel to
> the ground for snow cover, another idea i hope to pursue.
> 	Black raspberries,  I'm delighted to hear they can possibly
be grown in
> zone 3.  I presume these bear on the second year, whats the variety?
> 	Autumn Bliss.  I did a test planting of 25 of this primocane
bearing red
> raspberry.   Delighted with the size, productivity, and flavor, but
i'll
> give them one more year before digging them up.  They are
supposedly the
> earliest bearing of the 'fall type', but in two mild falls we've
lost 3/4 of
> the crop to normal mid september frosts.
> thanks again!     and happy holidays to you all    minnesota del,
Z2b

> >From: "H. Dessureault" <inter.verbis@a...>
> >To: <nafex@egroups.com>
> >Subject: Re: [nafex] wet soil, highbush cranberry and archive
homework
> >Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 02:42:23 -0500
> >
> >Donna,
> >In the area where I live (zone 3), there are numerous varieties of
berries
> >that are black. We have some black raspberry, although they fare
better in
> >zone 4 and milder, but they are my favorite for eating fresh. We
have
> >timbleberry (a bramble on long thorny branches with big
blackberries in the
> >shape of a timble, very tasty, with gritty seeds, therefore ideal
for jelly
> >but uninteresting for jams). I was told that timbleberries are to
be found
> >in the Appalachians all the way to Virginia. We also have a
dewberry, which
> >is a low bramble. The dewberries have seeds like raspberries and
can be
> >made into fantastic freezer jam. Rich in taste and colour.
Dewberries are
> >picked at the end of August and some years, with enough rainfall,
they are
> >plentiful. In places, the dewberries are part of the ground cover
along
> >with moss. All of the above are to be found in sandy somewhat
acidic soils,
> >in the wild. That black raspberry would survive a flood, I am not
surprised
> >as they are tough plants, but I don't think they would survived in
> >continual wet feet situation.
> >We also have wild high bush cranberry, and they usually do grow in
low
> >lands, with water nearby.
> >Another plant that prefers wet conditions is elderberry.
Elderberry is a
> >very beautiful big bush with long leaves reminescent of walnuts
and hickory
> >in the way the leaves are placed along the stem.
> >We have two types : 1) Red berried Elder, Sambucus pubens, which
grow in
> >rocky places , blooms in april-may and has red berries in july
which are
> >edible only if you are a bird (i.e. the berries contain cyanide).
Very
> >pretty though.
> >2) Then there is the Black Elder, Sambucus canadensis, which sort
of looks
> >the same as the above, but grows in humid places along streams. It
blooms
> >june-early july, amazingly late for a short growing season, and
produces
> >fruits early september, which do not last long on the bush. The
fruits are
> >easy to pick as they are in clusters and the dried flowers are
like lace
> >made of star like white florets. The flowers make a very good
herbal tea
> >and the berries have many applications. Unlike high bush
cranberries, which
> >are not very good but make a passable jelly to accompany meat and
for which
> >a taste has to be acquired, elderberries are sweet and quite
pleasant. They
> >can be used in muffins, dried, added to wine making ingredients to
impart
> >colour, made into jams and jellies, you name it.
> >This is one of the perfect candidate for the situation that has
been
> >described. It grows fast and self seeds here and there where the
conditions
> >are right while not being too invasive. It likes more humidity
than high
> >bush cranberry and is definitely more useful and much more
handsome.
> >It usually seems to prefer shade, but last Fall I picked a few
pounds of
> >elderberries from a 10 foot tall elderberry bush which grew so
fast that I
> >noticed it for the first time last summer while in bloom and IT
was growing
> >in full sun in a depression by a stream, the neighbouring poplars
having
> >been chewed down the year before by beavers... But, that is
another story.

> >Hélène Dessureault
> >P.S. : I do have some dried elderberries that I could send. When I
dried
> >the berries, though, I did not have planting in mind. Also, it is
possible
> >that stratification would be necessary for germination.

raspberries on just