Re: [nafex] article in 'Country Living gardener' mag.

Del wrote:

>Saw this at the library- a short article on 'Weston's antique apple
>orchard'zone 5 west of Milwaukee. It's a non-profit foundation.  Has
>pics of Chenango Strawberry, Caville blanc d'Hiver, Starking, Hooples
>Antique Gold, Black Gilliflower, Tydeman's Late Orange, Tolmen Sweet.
>October 2000 issue. Says they have 100 apple varieties.....Mn. Del

I've been to Weston's Antique Apple Orchard and visited with sprightly 80+
year old Mr. Weston.  He does indeed have wonderful apples.  We spent an
afternoon in early October dodging snowflakes, riding around his orchard on
his dune buggy (no fooling!) looking at various trees.  He has some real
gems and many regional antiques.  In fact, if you look into the archives,
you'll find my discussion of some of his more unusuals--mid October 2000
post.  Specifically, he has Montgomery Wards, Wealthy and Apricot, which is
very unusual.  Nafex list member Lon Rombough identified Apricot as a
seedling he found in the wild in Oregon that was propagated by an Oregon
nursery. (I sent him a jpeg. of the apple)  Lon says it's probably a
Smokehouse offshoot.  Mr. Weston is a treasure of information and is very
talkative.  Weston's has a website.  I'll post the URL later after I dig out
Weston's brochure from the piles of paper on my desk.
Doreen Howard
Janesville, WI