[nafex] Re: Fungicides & Mycorrhiza Fungi

I can't comment on mycorrhziae and fungicides, but I was at a
pesticide credit meeting last year where the extension scientist from
Penn State discussed fungicide's mode of action.  Acting as a barrier
is a main mode of action.  But some fungicides kill the spores at
spore germination or as they enter a cell.  And some of the newer
fungicides (Strobilorin's (sp?)) are actually systemic (can kill a
fungal infection after it starts).  Some fungiicides have multiple
modes of action.

[aside: That's why molds so rapidly develop resistent strains to
Benlate (which only has one mode of action) while Captan (which has 3
modes of action) has not been overcome by resistent strains.]

I would probably stay away from "systemic" fungicides (most of which,
I believe require an applicator's license anyway).

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@y..., "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@t...> wrote:
> No, if you are using a contact fungicide which coats plant
foliage.  I've
> used neem seed oil, a fungicide, and never had any kill problems.
The way a
> fungicide works is to coat foliage and act as a barrier to fungal
spores.
> This action has absolutely nothing to do with mycorrhziae, which
exists in
> the soil.  Even if the fungicide washes off trees and ends up in
the soil,
> there is no problem.  As I said, fungicides are barriers.
> Doreen Howard

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://click.egroups.com/1/11231/0/_/423498/_/982163699/