Re: [nafex] apple tree nurseries. Part II

I'll just say that the "lumpy demand" is one reason I went to selling grape
CUTTINGS instead of vines years ago.  I got fed up with having to "eat" so
many vines after spending the summer weeding rows.  Ironically, I now sell
out of many of the things I used to have to toss.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom  See new additions to the site, Feb. 2001,
plus word on my grape book.

----------
>From: jhecksel@voyager.net
>To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] apple tree nurseries. Part II
>Date: Thu, Feb 22, 2001, 8:05 PM
>

>Hi all:
>
>Regarding the nurseryman's problem of lumpy demand:  I think it behooves
>us (customers) to list second and third choices if we want to keep
>specialty, high service nurseries in business.
>
>I often find myself making tough choices.  My wants consistently exceed
>my budget.  So I flip a coin and order Nova Spy apple trees instead of
>Enterprise, for example.  It is to our mutual advantage to have the
>nursery owner know that.  He/she might run out of Nova Spy.  Knowing my
>second choice allows him/her to still make a sale and I can still get
>trees I want.
>
>Do any of the nurserymen out there care to comment:  Just how lumpy is
>demand for specialty cultivars like Florina or Roxbury Russet?  How much
>does demand vary over a five year window?
>--
>
>                                               -Joe Hecksel
>                                                Eaton Rapids, Michigan
>

>Personal webpage open to the public at