     Wrote recently in the NNGA Annual a excellent Article on Northern Pecans but It left Me with many unanswered questions in-selecting Ultra-Northern  pecans Our area is Zone 5b 1,800 ft elevation and tonight it is 22 degree F. out side ( in the green house I have chestnut seedling 8 inches tall with new growth on grafted chestnuts 6 to 8 inches long, Hickories, pecans and walnuts in full leaf)  I know our electric bill will be outrageous this month.  So it does get pretty cold here.
The question
#1,  I plan to offer Snaps early Pecan, Carlson #3, and others (scion wood from John Gordon) in the Coming years but I have not researched a good pollinator for Ultra-Northern pecans, We have Major, Posey, Pawnee and others to follow with some seedling producing ( planted in 1968 began to bear nuts in 96 and 97).    What Will the 2 Ideal Pollinators for a Ultra-Northern be.

#2, What are the nuts per pound on Snaps, Carlson #3 and Greenriver?

#3, What is Known about the Fisher pecan, number per pound and Is it considered a Ultra northern pecan?

#4,  The Stark H. Giant - is there Patent rights pending and what is the nuts per pound?

3 weeks ago some one called and asked if we sold pecans and we conversed about the subject.    He stated that their was a lot of pecans in his area but they were small (about small marble size, a little longer) and the birds pack them off and the SQUIRRELS just eat so many of them that when the birds and squirrels was done they barely had enough to bake a few pies for the holidays and I ask this gentleman where he lived He stated South Eastern Minnesota and began telling me about the Mississippi River that he could step across and not muddy his boots.

You Know If I lived in Minnesota I would absolutely be tickled to have a pecan that produced any thing small or other and would be happy about it.   I think I would find ways to stop the squirrels.

                    England's Orchard and Nursery
  316 S.R. 2004    McKee, Kentucky 40447     pH.  606 965 2228
Specializing in exotic fruit and nut trees for alternative crops.
Chestnuts, Hazelnuts, Pecans, Black and English walnut, Heartnuts, Hickories, root stock and more.
               Planting the seed ( nut trees) for the future.
on the web @  www.nuttrees.net   e-mail us @  nuttrees@prtcnet.org

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
www.newaydirect.com