Re: [nafex] Cold

ditto; we had 15F last night and I just recieved my order of fruit trees and
fruit bushes and 1/3 are already in 1/2" protruding leaves. Do I hold in the
dark cool basement a couple weeks or plant the second the ground thaws?
Mn.Del Z2/3

>From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
>To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [nafex] Cold
>Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:22:48 -0000
>
>It's been a cool, damp spring here, so much flowering, growth has
>been delayed, but things have begun to push (apricot began flowering
>last weekend)  Tonight temperatures are predicted in the low 30s and
>Wednesday night I've seen predictions as low as 27 degrees.  If I
>lose my fruit crop for the year so be it, but on a number of plants
>the leaf buds have elongated and are starting to open.  I'm concerned
>that the buds might be killed and I might lose the plants.  Is this a
>legitimate concern?
>
>I can set up a sprinkler in one place, but my plantings are somewhat
>scattered.  If we do get to 27 degrees I'm not sure a sprinkler would
>help.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Chris Mauchline
>SE PA, zone 6
>
>P.S. One thought I had (since many of my plantings are small) was
>that I could drape the plants with buds the furthest out with wet
>towels.

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM