[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

RE: [nafex] living fence

I think the word you are looking for is pleach/pleaching/pleached.  This
method was often used to construct hedgerow in England and Europe.  I found
this definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

       Pleach \Pleach\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Pleached}; p. pr. & vb. n.
          {Pleaching}.] [Cf. OF. plaissier to bend, and also F. plisser
          to plait, L. plicare, plicitum, to fold, lay, or wind
          together. Cf. {Plash} to pleach.]
          To unite by interweaving, as branches of trees; to plash; to
          interlock. ``The pleached bower.'' --Shak.

Tom Volkening
Engineering Library
1515 Engineering Building
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1226
Phone:  517-432-1498
Fax:      517-353-9041
Email:    volkenin@msu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: del stubbs [mailto:pinewoodel@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 10:51 AM
To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [nafex] living fence

Does anyone know the Swedish, Finnish, English etc names of the traditional 
living woven fences there? I'd like to do a web search to find out more of 
this old technique.
I deleted too soon the post of the nafexer who has a living fence....be 
great to see a photo if you ever get one. My purpose is a 10' deer barrier. 
Willow and hawthorn are my first thoughts. Mn. Del
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com


Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-~>
ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
in our $5,000 Family Vacation Sweepstakes!


Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/